Oregon/Oregon St. "Civil War" has come to an end.
by G.K.Chesterton (2020-06-26 14:25:37)

The Civil War in the Great Northwest will no longer be a thing. Officially.

Every year, Oregon and Oregon State meet in an annual rivalry game. Since 1929, the grudge match between the pair of state of Oregon schools has been referred to as the Civil War. That, though, was before the civil unrest that has raced across the country in the wake of the George Floyd murder.

Friday, it was announced that both Oregon and Oregon State have mutually agreed to cease using the phrase “Civil War” in reference to the annual rivalry game. That edict, effective immediately, extends to all sports matchups between the universities.

OK. I read the article and still don't know why.
by Domer84  (2020-06-29 12:06:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is the generic term "civil war" now a problem for someone?

They can call it the Platypus Peace Game. *
by 2ndstreeter  (2020-06-27 14:49:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hear "Civil Conflict" is possibly available
by Irish Warrior  (2020-06-27 09:49:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure if they'd need permission from Bob Diaco, but I'd say, go for it.

This is harsh, but wasn't the Civil War a good thing?
by Steelhop  (2020-06-26 15:25:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I mean it got rid of slavery. If it was called the War of Northern Aggression, I get it but, this isn't the first thing over the last month that has left me scratching my head.

You remind me of an old bumper sticker I saw years ago at
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-06-26 17:15:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the school my kids have attended for high school. It may have been a custom bumper sticker because I never seen it anywhere else and it was only in white letters with black background, but it went something like this:

Other than ending slavery, fascism, and communism, war isn't good for anything.

$4.70 at link (link)
by Milhouse  (2020-06-26 18:45:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How could I forget Nazism?
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-06-26 22:44:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thank you.

I guess that's a victory for American exceptionalism? *
by tdiddy07  (2020-06-26 14:39:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post