Evaluating a Coach
by NDTwice (2020-07-01 07:37:27)

In reply to: Dont forget to leave out padding the schedule  posted by 84david

I am not suggesting that Ferentz is another Holtz but only that his long tenure at Iowa is not surprising as suggested by a poster. Won-loss records are not the only way to evaluate a coach, although his is respectable in context.

An opposing coach, for example, in the recent 2020 Athlon College Magazine said, "They're as fundamentally sound and disciplined a team as you will ever see" (p. 127). His teams are also developmental. Currently Iowa has 24 active players in the NFL [Georgia 29, Clemson 27, ND 25].

Yea I am biased. I just like the guy. He is low key, likeable, knows how to coach, cares for the players, players care for him, and he takes time to stand when the persons at home games acknowledge the kids with cancer in the famous Iowa hospital. Yea I am a softie. His team is also very unified. Sometime watch the team as it comes out holding hands at the start of the game. Moving for the fans.

BTW -- schools can schedule lower division teams for reasons other than trying to pad the schedule. Ferentz is a very good friend with the former Purdue assistant coach who is now the head coach at Illinois state. This is why Iowa scheduled ISU. Nice gesture on Ferentz's part.