We were four-touchdown underdogs in the 1930 USC game?
by G.K.Chesterton (2020-07-10 13:40:36)
Edited on 2020-07-10 13:40:58

The post below on Frank Carideo led me to the Chicago Tribune obit on him, which includes the following (bolding mine):

Cardieo was an All-American on Rockne`s 1929 and 1930 teams and regarded Rockne`s last game against USC in `30 as his greatest thrill. The Irish were a four-touchdown underdog and won 27-0.

If we were undefeated, how could we have been such huge underdogs? Moreover, how did we win so big and shut them out?

Off the front page
by olson  (2020-07-10 14:02:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Question
by Paddyoreilly  (2020-07-12 21:36:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am wondering if you ever read the book O’Riley of Notre Dame by Francis Wallace. It is a fictionalized insider‘s view of the 1930 season. Wallace was a significant Notre Dame historian, and was essentially Rockne’s SID. I read it in junior high school and it was one of the factors in my love for Notre Dame. Just wondered if you had ever heard of it; I presume you are familiar with Francis Wallace. FYI the O Reilly in the title was the pseudonym for Bucky O’Connor, Who you mentioned above, And is the source for my handle.

Francis Wallace
by olson  (2020-07-13 09:25:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

linked is a good article from ND Magazine on Wallace

yes, I have read 'O'Reilly of Notre Dame'-many years ago...though I just looked to see if I still have a copy..didn't find it.

Wallace was from Bellaire, Oh -graduated ND in 1923

Wallace helped recruit many a Bellaire (and surrounding area) HS football players to ND -especially in the late '20s & early '30s

even though Wallace was off working in NYC etc., Francis always kept tabs on Bellaire & surrounding towns for ND recruiting material

From Bellaire Oh to ND

John Polisky T '24 Frosh
Jim Harris G '29 Frosh
Ray Bonnar QB (who transferred to ND from WVA
+ there were others

and nearby towns

Joe Sheeketski QB Shadyside,Oh...just down the Ohio River..later HC at Holy Cross and Nevada

Wally Fromhart QB Moundsville WVa..just across the Ohio River & arch rival of Bellaire...'32 Frosh

Wallace also helped ND recruiting in nearby Wheeling WVa also

In addition to books, Wallace wrote some screenplays for Hollywood

One- 'Kid Galahad' was made into a '30s move starring Humphrey Bogart, Betty Davis and Edward G Robinson,,,,and then remade in the early '60s starring Elvis Presley (music version of course :)

Francis Wallace
by paddyoreilly  (2020-07-13 11:37:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks, Olson. I remember that article! I recently purchased a copy of "O'Reilly" for one of my grandsons, but found that it hasn't aged as well as I had imagined, and, in spite of the great "story", the language is stilted enough to not be able to hold his attention.

Anyway, keep up the great historical work! I always enjoy.

I think I have the source of the alleged four-TD spread.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-07-10 16:25:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

From an excellent 1990 Los Angeles Times article on the game (bolding mine):

Notre Dame boarded a train in Chicago on Sunday, Dec. 1, and headed west. The night before, Rockne and his quarterback, All-American Frank Carideo, were interviewed on a radio show broadcast to Los Angeles. Bemoaning the loss of his first- and second-string fullbacks, Rockne said:

“I’m afraid we’re going to take a beating from Southern California next Saturday in Los Angeles. I am willing to wager we will not be defeated by four touchdowns, as some Los Angeles newspapermen have predicted,
but if we can hold the Trojans to a two-touchdown difference we’ll go home feeling pretty good.”

An L.A. Times headline the next day said: “Knute Sees Defeat for Irish Team.”

Another read: “Battered Irish Team on Way to Los Angeles.”

Times writer Dick Hyland had sent a postcard to Grantland Rice, predicting that USC would win by four touchdowns. Rice gave it to Rockne, who showed it to his players.

Thank you. *
by Fresno MIke  (2020-07-12 18:34:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And the Irish were missing a few running backs...
by hudsonvalleyirish  (2020-07-10 16:18:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Page 86 of the attached 1930 review.

Also off the front page *
by olson  (2020-07-10 18:03:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mullins presumably got his name from the comic strip.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-07-10 18:13:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post