Could our RBs wear the "AWB" towels one of their moms
by rgvirish (2020-07-12 21:38:19)
Edited on 2020-07-12 23:47:36

made them in 1977, (1976?), in the world of today?

For the young guys and disco haters, it was a cute play on words on the Average White Band. And also at that time a musical group (Wild Cherry?) had that "Play that Funky Music White Boy" song out. At leasts I thought it was cute at the time.

It was Terry Eurick and Steve Orsini? Not sure who's mom made them but that was the story I heard back then. If I remember correctly, I saw a glimpse of one on the SI cover after the Cotton Bowl. Not sure who the RB was.

yes, nobody would really care
by jt  (2020-07-13 13:13:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

now, if the towel were in the likeness of the confederate flag, people would care and I would be very, very concerned for their health.

Also, not too many white running backs these days, for whatever reason.

Average White Backs began in 1976. There were six according
by OldIrishFan  (2020-07-13 03:44:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To Gene O’ Neil. He quizzed me on it when I met him before the 1990 Miami game. My brother had bragged that I had an encyclopedic memory when it came to ND football. Ok then who were the AWBs? He showed us a fax from Joe Montana to Rick Mirer. He also gave us T shirts of a glove manufacturing. The shirt read Get a Grip on Your Balls. There were 6 AWBs. I got 5 of them. They were Terry Eurick, Steve Orsini, Tom Domin, Steve Schmitz, Mark McLane, and the one I missed Joe Montana. Montana had a separated shoulder in 1976 and never appeared in a game. To my knowledge, I never saw him wear the towel. My guesses for the sixth included Steve Dover, Ted Burgmeier, and Dan Kelleher. Geno insisted Montana was one. They wore them in the 1976 Gator Bowl against Penn State. Eurick and Orsini continued to wear them into 1977.Not sure if Domin did.

Off Topic- reminds me of the Ed McCaffrey meme
by RJD  (2020-07-14 17:22:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His son Christian was far from being just average. As was Art Best. But before Art, Notre Dame was loaded with average white backs. You have to go back to Nick Eddy, then all the way back to the Golden Boy who was more Quarterback than running back at ND.

Did I miss any (non-QB) running back in that time that was outstanding? Conjar?

Not outstanding, but AWB in that era.
by ArasEra  (2020-07-18 22:38:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

John Cieszkowski, Denny Allan, Bill Barz, Ed Gulyas, Darryl Dewan, Andy Huff, Gary Diminick.

Thank God for Penick, Best, and Hunter
by RJD  (2020-07-21 17:30:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Except for Gary, we had our share of slow running backs. No wonder Theismann ran for a bunch of yards.

The back we didn't mention was Rocky Blier but he was not that fast until he was wounded in Vietnam and rehabbed.

I first recall them at that Gator Bowl--I was on sidelines,,
by Scoop80  (2020-07-13 17:12:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for that game. I'm not sure how many guys were wearing the towels that night. Mark McLane had been kicked off team hours prior to GT game, so he wouldn't have had one.

It was the final game for a GA named "Ruettiger." I don't think that he slept on a cot in the stadium locker room that season. Devine gave the man a job, for which he was repaid in the early 90's with the "jerseys on the desk" fraud.

Slager came back as QB for that game after missing end of AL and all of Miami and USC games w/ injury. Lisch filled in for those games. I wonder whether Montana would've played in those games under current redshirt eligibility rules.

That team, with its de facto 3d string QB, outplayed #2 USC in a narrow Coliseum loss.

EDIT: Steve Schmitz, an AWB, lived down the hall from me that year. He was lightning fast, but he was never utilized except for punt returns.

I'm sure it was Terry Eurick on the cover.
by Dennis  (2020-07-12 22:27:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He scored two short yardage touchdowns in the game while Ernie Hughes and company kicked Texas' ass up front.

by Moff  (2020-07-12 23:01:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Inside that issue is a picture of Eurick with a girl
by RocketShark  (2020-07-13 18:58:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from after the game. She’s holding the towel and his helmet. It’s on Pinterest.

There’s a nice picture of Steve Orsini at the Gator Bowl in the 1976 scholastic Football Review with the towel tucked in his waistband.

funny, that address is a KC suburb
by irishrock  (2020-07-12 23:09:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had a cousin on that team. He was a frosh CB and also a punter...He punted through his junior year when frosh Blair Kiel beat him out his senior year. He had an oskie against Pitt on the last play of the game and I still remember being a little boy watching my cousin make the play and hearing Keith Jackson announcing.

Wasn't it cool when Notre Dame football was great?

From 1955 to 1999 NCAA HQs was in KC and KC area. *
by ArasEra  (2020-07-13 14:08:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dick Bouschka? He majored in Accounting * * *
by OldIrishFan  (2020-07-13 03:33:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

yep
by irishrock  (2020-07-13 09:51:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

his younger brother came into ND the next year

by Moff  (2020-07-12 23:42:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was on sidelines for that game...
by Scoop80  (2020-07-13 17:14:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There were 3-4 Pittsburgh locals I encountered that day who asked me why Montana (who was from that area) wasn't starting instead of Lisch.

Some Pitt fans are still not over that game yet. (link)
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-07-13 00:13:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

God Bless Willie Fry. RIP *
by OldIrishFan  (2020-07-13 03:59:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

by Moff  (2020-07-13 00:23:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was there also
by Cliff Claven  (2020-07-13 15:58:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was beautiful fall day, then the rain came. Was a miserable night.
Cliffy

Yep was there at Pitt for that one *
by pjnuge  (2020-07-13 08:40:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

by Moff  (2020-07-13 08:55:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wow what a great guy! Hope he got it back! I was an intern
by Pjnuge  (2020-07-13 11:32:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in Youngstown and drove down with another intern ( who had been a Columbia FB captain) and sat through that me. Still fun though