St. Thomas to move from D3 to D1, joins Pioneer league in FB
by HScorpio (2020-07-15 20:32:51)
Edited on 2020-07-15 20:33:59

First school to jump directly from D-III to D-I. Starts in 2021. They will compete in the Summit League for non football sports.

Uh, that's a lot of flying there.
by Wooderson  (2020-07-16 16:43:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

San Diego, Jacksonville, Poughkeepsie, not exactly close to MN.

I don't think there are a ton of options for football
by fontoknow  (2020-07-21 10:45:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At least by playing in the Pioneer league, they don't have to worry about scholarships.

Geographically, the Missouri Valley would have made sense
by Tex Francisco  (2020-07-21 10:58:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but it's probably the toughest conferences in FCS, so it would have made their on-field transition even harder, probably impossibly hard. I have no idea if the MVC would have had any interest in St. Thomas, but it seems like Northern Iowa and the Dakota schools would benefit by playing in the Twin Cities

they don't have the money for scholarships
by jt  (2020-07-23 19:30:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and they would get destroyed by those schools.

I think the MVC might be the long term destination
by NDTommie  (2020-07-21 11:09:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Save the money on the 63 scholarships for a couple years and try to build a respectable Pioneer League program. Hopefully they can also gain some incremental revenue from basketball and hockey. If they could make the jump to the MVC eventually and start offering scholarships, many kids from the Twin Cities that normally fill the rosters of the Dakota schools would certainly have to consider staying home. I think we'll see that in hoops right away.

How many Catholic schools are there playing FCS football?
by fontoknow  (2020-07-21 14:08:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Villanova? St. Thomas. San Diego. Anyone else?

12 in total now including STU
by irishlaw2010  (2020-07-28 21:11:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dayton, Duquesne, Fordham, Georgetown, Holy Cross, Incarnate Word, Merrimack, Sacred Heart, St. Francis, St. Thomas, San Diego, Villanova

Incarnate Word *
by fortune_smith  (2020-07-23 05:49:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BC *
by Irish Tool  (2020-07-21 17:25:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

FCS?
by tf86  (2020-07-23 14:26:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe that's more in line with their caliber of play, but last I checked they were in the ACC.

Did he stutter? *
by DakotaDomer  (2020-07-23 14:44:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

GU, Fordham, Holy Cross in the Patriot League *
by Tex Francisco  (2020-07-21 16:16:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dayton is another *
by TommyZ  (2020-07-21 16:13:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Villanova *
by Pjnuge  (2020-07-21 19:42:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Strange timing to make that move
by golfjunkie17  (2020-07-15 22:19:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Guess the wheels were already in motion.

The MIAC kicked St. Thomas out for being too good,
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-07-15 22:52:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

so it was sort of forced upon them.

please note again
by jt  (2020-07-16 12:26:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that St John's voted against that decision.

Hopefully SJU follows suit. I don't think we have the cash to do so, however (unfortunately).

Endowment comparison
by jbrown_9999  (2020-07-17 12:55:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

St. Thomas: $500 million

St John's: $200 million

misleading. That doesn't include College of St Benedict
by jt  (2020-07-21 12:51:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and UST has a grad school to support.

UST vs. SJU students is about a 3-1 ratio (which is largely how the other MIAC schools justified kicking them out).

It appears that grad schools might be money makers
by jbrown_9999  (2020-07-22 09:48:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The linked article suggests that graduate programs might help support undergraduate programs instead of the reverse.

I didn't mean it that way
by jt  (2020-07-23 19:29:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but that works more in my favor, so I'll take it.

I was basically saying that their cost is higher so they need the higher endowment, but either way it works.

You can't measure endowments in absolute dollar amounts.
by domer4  (2020-07-20 11:30:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well - for a comparison like this.

First off - do it dollars per student.

I could also tell you to modify it if you have more grad students than undergrads - and particularly a medical school.

Suddenly Grinnell, Williams and Amherst become "richer" than Harvard (at least if you're an undergrad).

(PS - Fr Hesburgh once told me that "the two biggest headaches for a college president is a football team and a medical school - and my football team makes up for no medical school.")

The UT system has a $30 billion endowment, which seems
by Tex Francisco  (2020-07-20 20:28:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a lot less impressive once you realize that covers 8 full-service universities (3 of whom have med schools) and 6 stand-alone med schools. That's 167k undergrads and 54k grad students.