off the front page *
by olson (2020-07-23 11:00:01)
Edited on 2020-08-20 16:29:32

This user did not provide content for this post

Bowdoin College is now awful in football.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-07-24 18:14:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The 2020 season was cancelled because of the coronavirus, but in the previous four years, Bowdoin had a combined record of 1-34. They have not had a winning season since 2005.

Bowdoin '04 here; we were 2-30 in my 4 years in Brunswick
by irishlaw2010  (2020-07-27 17:03:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was friends with a lot of those guys in my class. Really tough senior year. Lost three of those games by a combined 5 points including losing to the other two Maine teams (Bates 20-17 and Colby 7-6) in heartbreaking fashion.

It helps to learn the important life lesson that sometimes things don't get better and the light at the end of the tunnel can just be a freight train coming at you.

We are good at field hockey, women's basketball, and (as alluded to below) bayonet charges from elevated positions once we run out of ammo.

A school which punches above its weight class
by fontoknow  (2020-07-28 11:27:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in terms of national importance.

In a "if you had it to do all over again and had to do
by FL_Irish  (2020-07-28 15:48:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...something different than you actually did" scenario, Bowdoin would be high on my list.

It's funny
by irishlaw2010  (2020-07-28 18:30:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I really enjoyed my 4 years at Bowdoin. Many of my best friends to this day were classmates from those years. The campus is beautiful, you're close to the ocean, the outing club has weekly trips (Katahdin, sailing, sea kayaking, Appalachian Trail, snowshoeing/xc skiing, etc.) that you can go on for basically free.

That being said, it's a tiny school (just over 1800 kids now but was just over 1600 when I was there) which is both good (you know basically everyone) and bad (you know basically everyone). Sometimes, I felt that I missed out on the big-time college campus scene.

I was happy to go to ND for law school and live in a hall as an AR because I felt like I got to see that side of college life as well.

When were they not awful? *
by BIG MAC  (2020-07-24 18:35:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

by Moff  (2020-07-25 18:58:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nicely done! The Tide got rolled that day. *
by Pjnuge  (2020-07-26 20:50:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Olson posts
by Willylumplump  (2020-07-24 17:34:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I love the trips taken back to the old days at ND. You keep posting, I'll keep reading and enjoying them, Boss.

Ditto. *
by No Right Turn on Red  (2020-07-25 10:53:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dante Lavelli stayed in the Cleveland area after football.
by dbldomer7375  (2020-07-23 15:07:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He owned a furniture store.

A lot of the Browns stayed in Cleveland and opened businesses in the off season. I remember the Modzelewski brothers had a string of sandwich shops in Cleveland.

Speaking of the Browns, Davie's old OC is now with them.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-07-24 08:48:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Browns added another coach to Kevin Stefanski’s staff ahead of training camp.

The team announced that Kevin Rogers has been hired as a senior offensive assistant.

Speaking of sandwich shops, the “loaf of bread” handoff
by yodadame  (2020-07-25 19:48:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was Rogers, right? That always made me cringe.