I am amazed at the number of NFL players already opting out
by fourputtmd (2020-07-28 17:20:48)
Edited on 2020-07-28 17:32:01

And it is so early.

These are Brandon Posey types either that have 60-80 million banked already...a lot of very good players giving up a lot of guaranteed money.

NFL players union is weak for many reason, including the longevity of its players is horrendously low

Now some of those contracts will carry over, but not all of those contracts are guaranteed

Eddie Vanderdoes opted out, again.
by Hanratty5ND  (2020-07-28 19:01:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He played in 3 games last season.

He has 18 solo tackles in 19 games. $3 million rookie
by 1978Irish  (2020-08-01 12:37:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

contract. I hope he saved some of the money.

He needs Grandma time. *
by PWK2  (2020-07-28 19:54:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've never understood the crap this board gave him
by jt  (2020-07-29 12:18:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he didn't want to be at Notre Dame. You would rather he be forced to stick it out and then transfer?

I agree. He changed his mind. *
by ACross  (2020-07-30 13:06:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He signed an LOI. They were supposed to be binding. *
by 1NDGal  (2020-08-01 21:06:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't get me started
by jt  (2020-08-03 01:07:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

those things are slanted completely in favor of the school.

What mechanism should be used to tell coaches who is coming
by 1NDGal  (2020-08-04 14:55:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to campus and who isn’t?

clearly some form of indentured servitude is required
by jt  (2020-08-05 13:45:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

don't be ridiculous. This is all set up to benefit the school and the coaches.

I think people are making fun of his reasons
by irishrock  (2020-07-29 15:56:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If I remember right, there was an issue that he wanted to announce it to his high school and keep the suspense, but ND received his fax early and put his signing out there on a press release. So he was upset about that.

(which seems kind of weird)

Then he said he needed/wanted to be near his grandmother, but I believe she lived in SF area, but he went to UCLA.

I'm not defending the snarks. I just think that's where it is coming from. I'm with you, ND fans have not had many issues with incoming transfers.

Still bullshit *
by ACross  (2020-07-30 13:09:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So you are saying "give me the lads that want to be here" *
by Santos L Halper  (2020-07-29 15:45:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No, I'm saying that if a kid doesn't want to go here
by jt  (2020-08-03 01:07:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and wants to go somewhere else, let him.

Those who stay will become champions. *
by Wooderson  (2020-07-29 21:33:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Disgusting *
by elterrible  (2020-07-29 22:20:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Had to do it. *
by Wooderson  (2020-07-30 11:52:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it was the position he played
by domer4  (2020-07-29 13:14:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is always so tough to find that at ND and he picked us over Alabama.

Never even gave it a chance (unlike Aaron Lynch or even Gunner Kiel).

Why bother Eddie? You pumped up our hopes - it would have been better to just take Bama and then leave there in a few months.

Too soon? *
by BeastOfBourbon  (2020-07-28 23:02:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Football is a sport where a year off might actually prolong
by Tex Francisco  (2020-07-28 18:15:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

your career, whereas I don't think that'd be the case for baseball or basketball. Obviously, that's hard to prove, but who knows if that couldn't be going through some of these guys's minds.

I think they're making assumptions re: viability of a season
by Doggie  (2020-07-28 17:49:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't doubt that some may have legitimate medical concerns re: Covid. And I don't fault these players making their own choices but I suspect for many it has nothing to do with fear of getting covid.

I bet some would normally be free agents after this year and are anticipating a free agent year when the salary cap is going to go way down. They opt out this year, move this year's contract year to 2021, and become free agents in 2022. Why burn a full contract year when there is a decent chance there isn't going to be a full year and then walk into a free agent year when the money isn't there?

I know that is a jaundiced view.

If you opt out due to Covid, it counts as a year of service.
by 84david  (2020-07-29 12:46:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Important because of free agency and post-NFL benefits.

If he gets cut from the team for sucking, then he loses the year.

voluntary opt-out doesnt equal year of service....only high
by fourputtmd  (2020-07-29 16:37:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

risk players get that year

There is probably some of that.
by Steelhop  (2020-07-28 18:15:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think they also see the writing on the wall. No sense wasting a bunch of time going g through the nonsense of even a COVID preseason when there wont even be a season. MLB couldnt even get through opening weekend and had to cancel games and the NFL is going to do it.

I think they should play because the issue of harm is so far away for these guys particularly with other injuries they could suffer but at the end of the day parts of America couldnt control themselves to at least present a level of unacceptablility to play so there you go.