off the front page *
by olson (2020-08-05 15:24:52)
Edited on 2020-08-23 13:56:41

This user did not provide content for this post

Ken Karcher (Tulane) / Gus Ornstein (MSU) *
by DavidAddison  (2020-08-17 14:53:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

mentioned in the initial post, Gus finished at Rowan College *
by olson  (2020-08-19 10:03:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fun stuff, as always *
by Rocksteady74  (2020-08-06 17:03:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In 2016, USA Today named Randy Wright the worst-ever
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-08-05 23:21:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

starting QB in Green Bay Packers history and the Packers are now over 100 years old. I can't believe it, but Randy Wright actually started 32 games for the Packers. That should have been a federal offense punishable by being forced to watch the 0-38 loss to Michigan for 12 months straight.

Packers: Randy Wright (1984-1988)

Green Bay’s all-time winning percentage in games started by Wright: .218
Winning percentage in games started by anyone else: .582

Jimmy Clausen and Brady Quinn also made this list for the Panthers and Browns, respectively. 🤣😒

Wright seemed like a good guy. *
by Homeboy73  (2020-08-12 20:28:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The list is unfair.
by bizdomer09  (2020-08-09 21:18:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Limiting the Bears to just 1 worst QB like every team does a disservice to franchise history. To provide a proper testimonial to their poor performance at the position, we need a special allowance for 10 terrible QBs from the Bears. And maybe throw in 5 from Cleveland.

Great post, thank you for it
by Son of Galway  (2020-08-05 22:01:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I consider myself an authority on Notre Dame football trivia, and I had never even heard of Tommy O’Connell.

Robert Schmidt is a family friend.
by mkovac  (2020-08-05 20:57:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He and his brother, Denny, went to USC, had bit parts in movies, and worked for my father on his table grape ranch during the summers, as did the McKeever brothers.

Robert married Arthur Godfrey’s daughter, in spite of Godfrey being a prick toward him. He became an attorney and help found CSPAN.

The last time I spoke with him he told me he was taking care of his friend Willie Wood. He was keeping it quiet.

He put my father’s 75th birthday party together for him back in the 80s. It was a wonderful night.

Schmidt sounds like a real stand-up guy.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-08-05 23:37:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Periodically in the later years, a Willie Wood story would appear in one of the state papers and Schmidt showed up in the story because of his role in taking care of Wood.

Packers fans are always very fond of past players. Even if they only played a few years, they're considered "family". The alumni association is quite strong and retired players come back all the time.

Roy Henry would also have had to beat out Joe Montana
by 1978Irish  (2020-08-05 19:45:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for playing time in 1975. I am glad there wasn’t anyone else around to give Devine a reason not to play Montana

Didn’t Oliver Luck transfer from ND?

I recall Slager being a better tennis player than qb *
by Pjnuge  (2020-08-06 13:54:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

way off the front page *
by olson  (2020-08-06 14:50:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Montana could’ve come back under current redshirt ...
by Scoop80  (2020-08-07 16:15:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

rules w/o burning a year of eligibility. He could have come off bench when Slager got hurt v. AL & then started next 2 games. Had he done well, Gator QB choice would have made an interesting call.

Slager riddled AL secondary in 1st half—ND led 21-7 & it could have been bigger. Play calling was more conservative in 2d half. Campus rumor was that Slager called audibles into passing plays in 1st half & Devine told him there would be no 2d half audibles.

Lisch having 2 starts at end of 1976 season played role in his being named starter to start ‘77 season.

Remember Ozzie Newsome being a great player
by Hanratty5ND  (2020-08-06 20:39:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bryant-Ken-MacAfee-Baumhower-Bham-News.jpg

This is either before or after the game in 1976. Bear is probably asking MacAfee why he didn't pick Bama. That is DE Bob Baumhower on the left.

Luther Bradley and Jim Browner had big INT's in the game.