Michigan only state requiring masks for HS/college football
by G.K.Chesterton (2020-09-14 11:26:08)
Edited on 2020-09-14 11:27:22

on the field of play (yes it applies to soccer and volleyball as well). However, it is not being required of the Detroit Lions - perhaps because of testing protocols...?

Despite recommendations from the World Health Organization that people should not wear a mask when exercising, Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer decided that in order for football (which had been previously pushed for the spring) and other sports to be played in the Mitten State this fall, masks would have to be worn at all times.

The latest executive order from Governor Whitmer reads in part:

“…athletes training for, practicing for, or competing in an organized sport must wear a facial covering (except when swimming) or consistently maintain 6 feet of social distance (except for occasional and fleeting moments). For example, an athlete participating in a football, soccer, or volleyball game would not be able to consistently maintain 6 feet of distance, and therefore would need to wear a facial covering. Sports organizers must ensure that athletes comply with this section for each organized sporting event.”

At least they get to play. JB has us shut down in IL *
by Irishlawyer  (2020-09-14 18:15:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our local HS in IL is holding full contact practices for
by Raoul  (2020-09-14 19:13:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

college scouts the next 4 weeks or so. I assume they will be wearing masks. No idea how they got around this but I assume other top 25 type programs in the state will be doing the same.

Decision seems arbitrary and capricious. Wonder if it would
by pjnuge  (2020-09-14 16:54:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

stand up in a judicial appeal. Not surprised dining from her

I don't think Whitmer wanted to play HS FB and was
by Raoul  (2020-09-14 11:30:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

forced by many in her own party to reconsider. This seems to be her way of retaining some ownership or control over a decision she never wanted to make.

Note: Order extends beyond just FB.

Indeed - hockey is impacted too as you note
by montroy28  (2020-09-14 12:10:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know of a family that is thinking of simply not playing hockey (a pair of 10 year old twins) because they don't want their kids to suffocate. Their words, not mine.

My initial impression is that 10 year olds should be able to play house hockey wearing gaiters without risk to their breathing. But like the rest of this, I doubt there's science on either how effective those are against a virus, or how impacted a youngster's breathing is by wearing one of those while playing.

A Duke study found the gaiter they tested worthless.
by tdiddy07  (2020-09-14 13:27:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I don't know what variety of fabrics are being used for those things.

The "normal" gaiter is worthless
by Doggie  (2020-09-15 15:58:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You can get gaiters that have added layer of filtering to make it similar to many masks.

Were they testing Corrine Brown?
by akaRonMexico  (2020-09-14 14:21:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I laughed. *
by TripleDomer  (2020-09-15 09:04:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

An alternate view of that study which includes a comment
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-09-14 14:08:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from one of the original co-authors takes a revised view of that study. Now, this article was written after the prelim, so maybe the authors modified something afterwards, but maybe not.

Excerpt:

Various news outlets seized on that extra 10 percent as evidence that neck gaiters don’t work and may even be worse than nothing. Such conclusions, which were sometimes supported in news stories by the authors themselves, are too strong for a study its authors describe as a “proof-of-concept.”

“We tried to be as careful with our language as possible in interviews,” says Warren S. Warren, a Duke chemist and coauthor of the study. While he says their observations suggest some thin gaiters might be problematic, “the press coverage has careened out of control” for a study testing a measuring technique and that looked at just one mask of each type.

How about a Notre Dame example on masks vs. gaiters
by ndaero93  (2020-09-14 21:22:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post