Off the front page
by olson (2021-04-07 10:11:23)
Edited on 2021-05-04 08:29:49

In reply to: Mike Sensibaugh--ex Buckeye great passed away at 72  posted by Hanratty5ND

Mike McCoy and Jim Stillwagon
by aguirretwog  (2021-04-07 22:48:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After playing together in an all star game (Senior Bowl?) apparently they became friends and traded jerseys - McCoy used to wear an OSU Jim Stillwagon jersey around Walsh Hall in the second semester of 1970. They would have made a formidable duo for ND.

That would have been a great duo
by Hanratty5ND  (2021-04-08 09:48:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Stillwagon was the last man in/commit in OSU's class. I think this was a case of ND getting out-recruited.

Here is an excerpt from his recruitment from Bob Hunter of the Columbus Dispatch:

"Stillwagon made a visit to Ohio State because there was no limit on visits — “I made like 40 visits” — and said when he got there, Hayes liked him because he was in military school, had a short haircut and said “yes, sir.”

Stillwagon liked Hayes because he immediately asked him what was the last novel he had read — “I had never read a (bleeping) novel in my life and I said Moby Dick because I had just seen the movie” — and Hayes spent the next 45 minutes lecturing on the subject. He also liked Hayes because he didn’t lie. “He said, ‘I will promise you two things: If you’re good enough, you’ll make it; and if you’re not, you won’t.’ ”

Also off the front page *
by olson  (2021-04-08 11:09:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My dad coached Curl in high school
by mrock90  (2021-04-09 11:30:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Apparently the man was crazy and a walking badass...and my dad doesn’t say that about many people

Hated rival?
by Son of Galway  (2021-04-08 15:44:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Did Ara really hate Daugherty? I was not aware of that. Was there a reason for the rancor besides the quality of Duffy’s teams?

Interesting Fact
by ronniewoo  (2021-04-07 17:44:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sensibaugh makes all Ohio as a QB and ends up playing DB at OSU.
Kern makes all Ohio as a DB and ends up playing QB. My guess is that they were both 2 way players who were really good at multiple positions. Kern was a really fun QB to watch in college.

Also off the front page
by olson  (2021-04-07 16:29:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Capers
by Hanratty5ND  (2021-04-07 17:32:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Read on here before(probably from you or Sixshutouts66) that he was hurt while kicking off vs Oklahoma in 1968.

I've linked the video from that game. If you go to the 5:03 mark--can you verify that is Capers kicking off? I'm not sure. Looks like an OU player goes for the Kickers knees right after kickoff--he manages to run downfield and then is cracked at the knees again. Looks like that may have been the hit that did it if it was Capers. ND had just tied the score at 14-14 with 9 minutes left in 2nd Q.

according to ND Observer reporter Terry O'Neil
by olson  (2021-04-07 21:07:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

see linked ND Observer article...scroll to page 4...Tony Capers injury explained.

Reporter Terry O'Neil ( later a famous producer on ABC's Monday Night Football) claimed the Capers injury happened as followed

Capers was in playing defense end...Oklahoma RB Steve Owens(later a Heisman winner) tries to block Tony on a Sooner sweep around DE Capers- but 'misses'...'scrambles on the ground' a few yards & attempts to 'leg whip' Capers in order to take Tony out of the play...misses(again)...but his cleat clips Capers Achilles tendon...snapping the tendon.....Tony Capers season was over

Thanks
by Hanratty5ND  (2021-04-08 09:40:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That article gave all the details. I had always thought he got hurt on a kickoff.
Also interesting to read Capers perspective on being a black player/student at ND.

I've linked his Obit. He died too young in 1999:

Off the front page *
by olson  (2021-04-08 10:33:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I recall OK took out Jim Seymour earlier on dirty play
by SixShutouts66  (2021-04-08 15:31:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I recall (don't trust this) that he had his ankle twisted on a tackle in the end zone after scoring a TD before the Liggins play.