Capers
by Hanratty5ND (2021-04-07 17:32:00)

In reply to: Also off the front page  posted by olson

Read on here before(probably from you or Sixshutouts66) that he was hurt while kicking off vs Oklahoma in 1968.

I've linked the video from that game. If you go to the 5:03 mark--can you verify that is Capers kicking off? I'm not sure. Looks like an OU player goes for the Kickers knees right after kickoff--he manages to run downfield and then is cracked at the knees again. Looks like that may have been the hit that did it if it was Capers. ND had just tied the score at 14-14 with 9 minutes left in 2nd Q.

according to ND Observer reporter Terry O'Neil
by olson  (2021-04-07 21:07:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

see linked ND Observer article...scroll to page 4...Tony Capers injury explained.

Reporter Terry O'Neil ( later a famous producer on ABC's Monday Night Football) claimed the Capers injury happened as followed

Capers was in playing defense end...Oklahoma RB Steve Owens(later a Heisman winner) tries to block Tony on a Sooner sweep around DE Capers- but 'misses'...'scrambles on the ground' a few yards & attempts to 'leg whip' Capers in order to take Tony out of the play...misses(again)...but his cleat clips Capers Achilles tendon...snapping the tendon.....Tony Capers season was over

Thanks
by Hanratty5ND  (2021-04-08 09:40:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That article gave all the details. I had always thought he got hurt on a kickoff.
Also interesting to read Capers perspective on being a black player/student at ND.

I've linked his Obit. He died too young in 1999:

Off the front page *
by olson  (2021-04-08 10:33:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I recall OK took out Jim Seymour earlier on dirty play
by SixShutouts66  (2021-04-08 15:31:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I recall (don't trust this) that he had his ankle twisted on a tackle in the end zone after scoring a TD before the Liggins play.