R.I.P. William "Red" Mack, class of '61.
by G.K.Chesterton (2021-04-12 10:58:14)

ProFootballTalk noted his death and linked to a lengthy piece Notre Dame did on him in 2017.

Per https://www.palmerfuneralhomes.com/obituary/William-Mack, he died last Thursday.

Offf the front page (link)
by olson  (2021-04-12 11:20:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Now just named Bullis School, in Potomac, MD. *
by Slotts  (2021-04-12 13:17:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I posted this some years ago, but during Mack's 1965 season
by SWPaDem  (2021-04-12 13:16:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with the Pittsburgh Steelers, he refereed a Wednesday afternoon junior high game I played in at Butler High School; my school was Har-Brack which later merged with Tarentum for the 1968-1969 school year. There was quite a buzz before the game that Red Mack of Notre Dame, not to mention the Steelers was one of the officials.

And, of course, 1965-1966 was Terry Hanratty's senior year at Butler High School. I can't remember now if he had already committed to ND by September of that year or if that was still the rumor - but there was definitely a Notre Dame buzz going on around Hanratty in Butler that year. I never thought of this until just now, but maybe that's why Red Mack was refereeing the junior high game!

Terry H graduated in 69. I think graduated from Butler
by ODSCHOOL  (2021-04-13 09:02:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

earlier than 66 - probably 65

Well damn.....We used to tailgate with Red at home games.
by Killian  (2021-04-12 11:12:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was a great guy. He would always tell great football stories and he always made you put on his SB ring.