So the coin flip pretty much decided that game - stupid.
by chicos bail bonds (2022-01-23 21:56:53)

Granted the Bills shouldn't have given up 40 yards in 10 seconds but that's a terrible way to decide a game.

Nonsense. They already had 60 minutes to win the game.
by cmhirish  (2022-01-24 13:01:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And this is true of every team in the league:

Play some defense.

Learn clock management - not only how to save clock, but make your opponent burn clock when they can't afford to.

Stop wasting precious seconds throughout the game to celebrate minor accomplishments (like picking up a first down). Your team may need those 2 seconds to get off one more play (looking at you, Chase Claypool).

And my favorite armchair QB logic: defenses are gassed at the end of the game. If that's the case, maybe after a turnover they shouldn't run all those extra yards to the end zone to mug for the camera.

I don't remember anyone making all this noise in 2019
by milhouse  (2022-01-24 10:01:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when the Pats won the coin flip, drove down, and scored a TD to beat the Chiefs in the AFC championship game. (At the time, I was more angry at the defense than at the rule. Just stop the Pats and you don't have to worry about the rule.)

As Irishrock notes elsewhere, the Chiefs tried to get the rules changed when that happened, and they were rebuffed.

Why the sudden interest in this allegedly unfair rule now?

I dont watch the NFL enough to care or remember. I
by Chicos bail bonds  (2022-01-24 12:41:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Happened to be watching last night with my kids and thought the rule is stupid.

There definitely has been noise about it before
by baronbutler  (2022-01-24 10:55:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The problem with it was that with the way the two offenses were playing, it seemed pretty likely the coin flip was going to determine the outcome. Defenses were both a bit gassed. Not taking away anything from KC, but it is a rule that should be changed for playoff football. Hopefully before it winds up deciding a Super Bowl.

I care less about gassed defenses.
by tdiddy07  (2022-01-24 12:51:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But they should simply play 15-minute periods until there’s a winner. Hockey does it. And hockey is as demanding a sport. Formally, hockey does sudden death. But given the paucity of scoring, the expectation is that teams are ready to play a full period and sometimes multiple additional periods until a winner is decided. And those games are the best the sport has to offer.

There was definitely noise then, too
by BmoreIrish  (2022-01-24 10:05:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am a neutral observer so I don't have a dog in this fight. As a fan, I did feel cheated (both times) out of not getting to see a great QB have a chance in OT.

One aspect of this, though, is that defenses are totally gassed at the end of games. While it's cool to see the offenses take over, part of that is they are going against guys on an empty tank. I'm not sure it would be fun to watch a back and forth OT where no one can stop anyone else.

Perhaps so. I don't recall it.
by milhouse  (2022-01-24 10:07:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your point about the defense being tired is a good one. Just look at what a shootout the end of this game was... we'd have it every time there was OT. Plus, there would be even less of an incentive to go for 2 at the end of the game if you managed to score with a chance to tie or win.

No, the Bills crap D decided the game. *
by cujays96  (2022-01-24 09:03:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tails sometimes fails. *
by RocketShark  (2022-01-24 00:46:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Chiefs tried to change OT rules in 2019, fwiw
by irishrock  (2022-01-23 22:58:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We never got the ball against New England...I guess it was our turn this year.

92% of teams that win the opening coin toss elect to defer.
by K-Rock  (2022-01-23 22:55:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How many points is that worth, it has to be worth something or it would be closer to 50%. The team that loses the opening toss should get the advantage in OT to balance things out. You could also allow the team that wins the opening toss to defer to a possible OT.

Different situation
by Cheg80  (2022-01-24 00:38:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You defer the choice at least in part to be able to double up on possibly getting points at the of the first half and the start of the second half.

That’s not a consideration in OT; you want the ball.

It was pointed out after the game that the Bills should have
by G.K.Chesterton  (2022-01-23 22:08:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

squib kicked the ball to take time off the clock after scoring the go-ahead touchdown.

The Bills defense gave up a zillion yards at the end of regulation and overtime. They had the chance to stop the Chiefs and they couldn't.

I would have had the kicker kick it high and hope to have it
by pmcdnd96  (2022-01-23 23:16:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

land at about the 7 yard line.

But I agree with your point. Defense is still part of football.

I wouldn't want Hill and Hardman to get a chance to return
by milhouse  (2022-01-23 22:13:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it, if I were Buffalo.

when Hill had the punt return
by irishrock  (2022-01-23 23:24:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

dare I say it reminded me of Rocket vs Colorado punt return as both had so many would be tacklers converged on the both of them.

No flag
Hill didn't score (which sucked because all we got was a FG out of it and I told buddies that was a really bad deal as being up 5 wasn't going to help)

I'll take it...helluva win

Squib kick wins the game there. *
by PWK2  (2022-01-23 22:17:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Absolutely
by IrishChili  (2022-01-23 22:43:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In a game of heroic effort from his team, the coach lost it for them.

I'm not sure that's true
by BmoreIrish  (2022-01-23 22:32:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Squib kicks usually give the other team the ball around the 35-40 yard line, which is about where the Chiefs were after that first play to Hill. So it would have drained a few seconds but I'm not sure it would have materially mattered with where the Chiefs ultimately ended up.

No
by IrishChili  (2022-01-23 22:44:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

These guys can squib it deep and make them run off 4 or 5 or so seconds to get to the 25.

If that were true
by bmoreirish  (2022-01-24 07:10:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why don’t they squib kick it every time?

Look, this is not a hill (pun intended?) that I'm gonna die on, I'm just saying I don't think it is as obvious as some are making it out to be.

My guess is it was discussed but they thought the risk wasn't worth the reward. Do we want to give the Chiefs two plays from the 25, or one play from somewhere between the 30 and the 40 (with a non-zero chance of a big play on the kickoff).

In my opinion, the blunder was on the successive plays. You can either give up a quick play of no more than 15 yards, or a slower developing play of more, but not both a quick and long play.

Interestingly, I wonder if getting the two point conversion hurt the Bills. It seemed they were guarding against a TD with 13 seconds left versus if they were up by only one they may have been a bit more focused on not giving up the FG.

4 or 5 seconds is enough for Hill to get to the 50.
by milhouse  (2022-01-23 22:51:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I understand your point, but -- having watched Hill and Hardman quite a bit -- I can understand the desire to keep it out of their hands at all costs.

I don't believe either one was back for the kick
by chuck99  (2022-01-24 19:05:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was Pringle deep

He’s barely a hair slower than them.
by milhouse  (2022-01-24 19:27:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He also returned one for a TD this year that was called back for a penalty, if I recall correctly.

Yep, but could be worse. Could be soccer and penalty kicks
by sprack  (2022-01-23 22:04:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not that that’s much consolation. I said that when the Chiefs won the toss that they won the game.

Yeah, but penalty kicks only come after 30 full minutes of
by 3rdSt  (2022-01-23 22:07:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

extra time. Both teams have plenty of chances to score in that case.

Except they often don’t, because it’s soccer *
by sprack  (2022-01-23 22:09:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fair enough, but at least both teams have chances… *
by 3rdSt  (2022-01-23 23:36:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Penalty kicks are like a practice drill.
by milhouse  (2022-01-24 11:58:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Imagine lining up two NFL QBs at the 25 and having them alternate throwing passes into the end zone to a single receiver in single coverage.

No, this is worse. *
by the hibernian  (2022-01-23 22:07:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nothing is worse than penalty kicks *
by sprack  (2022-01-23 22:08:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just told you.
by the hibernian  (2022-01-23 22:09:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This was worse.

And I just told you it wasn’t
by sprack  (2022-01-23 22:10:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And the only time I’ve ever been wrong is when I thought I was wrong, but I was right.

That’s alright.
by the hibernian  (2022-01-23 22:12:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You’re not as bright as I am.

Except I know that “alright” is not a word *
by sprack  (2022-01-23 22:13:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Whoosh *
by the hibernian  (2022-01-23 22:16:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Penalty kicks and hockey shootouts are the worst. *
by milhouse  (2022-01-23 22:11:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You are a gifted observer of the human condition, sir *
by sprack  (2022-01-23 22:12:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Same when the Pats won the toss v. ATL.
by GoldCoastIrish  (2022-01-23 22:06:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What's the solution though, 15 full extra mins?

Just let the other team have a chance to score too
by DBCooper  (2022-01-24 07:25:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If both teams score and the game is tied then you go to next score wins. It adds a little drama to the coin toss winner. Do you want the ball first so that if it’s tied after both offenses get the ball you have first shot on next points win or do you want the ball second because you will know what your offense needs to do the first time with the ball and you have option to go for 2 to win game if both score TDs. I’m sure most teams would still take ball first but I’m not sure it’s as automatic.

They tried that.
by GoldCoastIrish  (2022-01-24 08:58:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

OG OT rule was first score wins. So take the kick, drive 40 yards, kick and go home.

At least with the change you have to score a TD, forcing you to do a fully non-ST drive (and I believe we had a tie where both teams were held to FG's this season).

If you want to do "untimed, each team gets a drive, then first score wins if still tied", you're going to get some bitching from the NFLPA, as well as the networks. I think it'd probably be most equitable, but for the playoffs, I'd say do a 15 min quarter, and keep going if they're tied like the NBA or NHL.

I do like CFB OT rules, I know some hate them.

Or when they won the toss against KC in the AFC championship
by milhouse  (2022-01-23 22:08:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a few years back.

It was our job to stop them and keep the Pats from scoring a TD in that game. We didn't do it. Same thing happened today, just in the other direction.

Why not? *
by 3rdSt  (2022-01-23 22:08:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

NFLPA would need to be convinced.
by GoldCoastIrish  (2022-01-23 22:33:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't hate the idea.

NFL needs to look at their OT rules for playoff games. *
by Jymbo  (2022-01-23 22:03:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or the Bills could play defense *
by cujays96  (2022-01-24 09:05:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Happened to the chiefs 3 years ago *
by domerfromkansas  (2022-01-23 22:01:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

perfect example of why the NFL OT rules suck *
by NDvermin95  (2022-01-23 21:59:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Full agreeance--I hate that tiebreaker method *
by Scoop80  (2022-01-23 21:58:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post