Same when the Pats won the toss v. ATL.
by GoldCoastIrish (2022-01-23 22:06:47)

In reply to: Yep, but could be worse. Could be soccer and penalty kicks  posted by sprack

What's the solution though, 15 full extra mins?

Just let the other team have a chance to score too
by DBCooper  (2022-01-24 07:25:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If both teams score and the game is tied then you go to next score wins. It adds a little drama to the coin toss winner. Do you want the ball first so that if it’s tied after both offenses get the ball you have first shot on next points win or do you want the ball second because you will know what your offense needs to do the first time with the ball and you have option to go for 2 to win game if both score TDs. I’m sure most teams would still take ball first but I’m not sure it’s as automatic.

They tried that.
by GoldCoastIrish  (2022-01-24 08:58:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

OG OT rule was first score wins. So take the kick, drive 40 yards, kick and go home.

At least with the change you have to score a TD, forcing you to do a fully non-ST drive (and I believe we had a tie where both teams were held to FG's this season).

If you want to do "untimed, each team gets a drive, then first score wins if still tied", you're going to get some bitching from the NFLPA, as well as the networks. I think it'd probably be most equitable, but for the playoffs, I'd say do a 15 min quarter, and keep going if they're tied like the NBA or NHL.

I do like CFB OT rules, I know some hate them.

Or when they won the toss against KC in the AFC championship
by milhouse  (2022-01-23 22:08:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a few years back.

It was our job to stop them and keep the Pats from scoring a TD in that game. We didn't do it. Same thing happened today, just in the other direction.

Why not? *
by 3rdSt  (2022-01-23 22:08:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

NFLPA would need to be convinced.
by GoldCoastIrish  (2022-01-23 22:33:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't hate the idea.