I don't remember anyone making all this noise in 2019
by milhouse (2022-01-24 10:01:07)
Edited on 2022-01-24 10:05:26

In reply to: So the coin flip pretty much decided that game - stupid.  posted by chicos bail bonds

when the Pats won the coin flip, drove down, and scored a TD to beat the Chiefs in the AFC championship game. (At the time, I was more angry at the defense than at the rule. Just stop the Pats and you don't have to worry about the rule.)

As Irishrock notes elsewhere, the Chiefs tried to get the rules changed when that happened, and they were rebuffed.

Why the sudden interest in this allegedly unfair rule now?

I dont watch the NFL enough to care or remember. I
by Chicos bail bonds  (2022-01-24 12:41:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Happened to be watching last night with my kids and thought the rule is stupid.

There definitely has been noise about it before
by baronbutler  (2022-01-24 10:55:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The problem with it was that with the way the two offenses were playing, it seemed pretty likely the coin flip was going to determine the outcome. Defenses were both a bit gassed. Not taking away anything from KC, but it is a rule that should be changed for playoff football. Hopefully before it winds up deciding a Super Bowl.

I care less about gassed defenses.
by tdiddy07  (2022-01-24 12:51:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But they should simply play 15-minute periods until there’s a winner. Hockey does it. And hockey is as demanding a sport. Formally, hockey does sudden death. But given the paucity of scoring, the expectation is that teams are ready to play a full period and sometimes multiple additional periods until a winner is decided. And those games are the best the sport has to offer.

There was definitely noise then, too
by BmoreIrish  (2022-01-24 10:05:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am a neutral observer so I don't have a dog in this fight. As a fan, I did feel cheated (both times) out of not getting to see a great QB have a chance in OT.

One aspect of this, though, is that defenses are totally gassed at the end of games. While it's cool to see the offenses take over, part of that is they are going against guys on an empty tank. I'm not sure it would be fun to watch a back and forth OT where no one can stop anyone else.

Perhaps so. I don't recall it.
by milhouse  (2022-01-24 10:07:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your point about the defense being tired is a good one. Just look at what a shootout the end of this game was... we'd have it every time there was OT. Plus, there would be even less of an incentive to go for 2 at the end of the game if you managed to score with a chance to tie or win.