California SB-1401: "Cal, Stanford, and maybe UCLA would
by G.K.Chesterton (2022-05-17 11:25:41)

give serious thought to leaving FBS football if this bill is passed."

There's too much in this bill to summarize here, so I recommend the linked article, but it would seem the bill would negatively impact non-revenue sports while getting even more money to athletes in revenue sports beyond NIL money. It would also create an incentive for athletes enrolling in a California-based school to not transfer out-of-state.

I believe that would be a Title IX problem and be
by VaDblDmr  (2022-05-18 19:08:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

immediately enjoined; either that or re-written to equitably distribute the revenue between men's and women's sports.

Some details
by SixShutouts66  (2022-05-17 16:36:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pertains to sports where the revenue from the sports is more than twice the cost of the scholarships from players in that sport. (Football, men's basketball, and perhaps women's basketball seem the prime candidates.

50 % of the difference between revenue and scholarship cost is put in a pool.

Players on those teams split that difference evenly with a max of 25K while they are in school and the rest after they graduate. If they fail to graduate or move at of state, their money gets returned to the pot

Issues I see:

1. As a side note, the writer's math skills seems lacking in the example he gave ($50M in revenue, $10M in scholarships; half of that divided by about 100 athletes leads to a payout of 200K per athlete. Sorry Charlie that's $800K per athlete and $1M to a red-shirt)

2. I question whether revenue is a good starting point. There are coaches salaries, travel costs, equipment costs, medical, stadium costs, game day expenses)

3. The concept of scholarship becomes less meaningful when the value of this payoff far exceeds the cost of the scholarship

4. Only schools who would schedule California schools would be those with similar rules. If we've reached the point of establishing a minor league for the NFL, NBA, and WNBA, so be it. I'm not sure the universities should be part of it.

His $200k figure is per year *
by exit77  (2022-05-18 16:35:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Quick google search says MLB, NBA and NFL basically
by wpkirish  (2022-05-18 10:16:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

half the revenues go to players. Did not dig into all the details so could be false information but seems resonable that half the revenue should be enough.

Recognize this will hurt other sports and the 42 assistant coaches / film coordinators / whatever other title they have come up with.

"Revenue" is a huge problem
by TMCT  (2022-05-17 20:17:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I suspect $$ will just got moved around, but some "non-revenue" sports with limited scholarships might have more "revenue" than the scholarships themselves if they host a few meets, tournaments, summer camps etc.

If table tennis rights are bundled into the PAC12 network, don't think there isn't a lawyer ready to argue that if it's 5% of the content aired it should get 5% of the TV contract allocated etc.

This is a rolling dumpster fire.