Some details
by SixShutouts66 (2022-05-17 16:36:50)

In reply to: California SB-1401: "Cal, Stanford, and maybe UCLA would  posted by G.K.Chesterton

Pertains to sports where the revenue from the sports is more than twice the cost of the scholarships from players in that sport. (Football, men's basketball, and perhaps women's basketball seem the prime candidates.

50 % of the difference between revenue and scholarship cost is put in a pool.

Players on those teams split that difference evenly with a max of 25K while they are in school and the rest after they graduate. If they fail to graduate or move at of state, their money gets returned to the pot

Issues I see:

1. As a side note, the writer's math skills seems lacking in the example he gave ($50M in revenue, $10M in scholarships; half of that divided by about 100 athletes leads to a payout of 200K per athlete. Sorry Charlie that's $800K per athlete and $1M to a red-shirt)

2. I question whether revenue is a good starting point. There are coaches salaries, travel costs, equipment costs, medical, stadium costs, game day expenses)

3. The concept of scholarship becomes less meaningful when the value of this payoff far exceeds the cost of the scholarship

4. Only schools who would schedule California schools would be those with similar rules. If we've reached the point of establishing a minor league for the NFL, NBA, and WNBA, so be it. I'm not sure the universities should be part of it.

Replies: