moving on
by olson (2022-05-19 10:40:09)
Edited on 2022-09-04 10:39:45

Questions on "B" team and JV
by Flanner89  (2022-05-20 08:37:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Interesting stuff as usual. I have no idea how you track this information down, but it is greatly appreciated.
Do the results of those games appear in ND's overall win-loss record? For example when calculating the university with the most wins or the highest winning percentage.
I'm guessing those games are not counted by ND, however that leads to a follow-up question: Can (and do) other schools count their results differently? I'm thinking about how Alabama takes credit for a national championship if one tiny poll awards it to them, vs. ND that only counts the major polls.

well off the front page *
by olson  (2022-05-20 09:35:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Before the BCS era Alabama used to omit the results
by Dennis  (2022-05-20 11:42:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of bowl games in their winning percentage. Just didn't happen, ya know. I know this for a fact from the bowl games publications I received. They may be doing well now (ya think?) but prior to the Saban era they had the biggest case of Penis Envy in the history of sports.

These are fun reads. What ever happened to Todd Lezon?
by Dennis  (2022-05-19 14:32:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm sure you've covered that before but my mind fades at times. I remember that he was highly touted by some out of high school, though he reportedly only completed 39% of his passes.

moved to TE after he hurt his elbow
by olson  (2022-05-19 14:38:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

his senior year in HS his team was 3-6....if you read Joe Terranova's comments on Lezon (see my post above this one of the '82 recruiting class), Joe T thought ND would move Lezon to LB & he'd become the next Brad Van Pelt (a HS QB from Michigan like Lezon who became a star LB for the Spartans & in the NFL)

Lezon had nerve damage in his elbow, ending his days as a QB at ND -moved to TE...albeit Todd tried his hand a LB before settling at TE

late add -the ND football Media Guide says that Lezon finished 3rd in the Shot Put at Michigan State HS track and field championships

Remember Brian Boulac stating that he thought Lezon
by Hanratty5ND  (2022-05-20 10:45:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was going to be the next John Elway when he signed.

Brian Boulac, now there was a very good man!
by Dennis  (2022-05-20 11:47:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was from Olympia, Washington, I believe. Washington state is my home state, so I have a bias for sure but he was a loyal and fine assistant coach for Notre Dame. Later coached women's softball.

also off the front page *
by olson  (2022-05-20 12:03:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just a slight dropoff from the top 2 QB's *
by Hanratty5ND  (2022-05-20 12:13:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He recruited a host of guys from Washington
by Hanratty5ND  (2022-05-20 12:01:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Phil Carter.
The Stone brothers: Jim, Dan, Chris.
Steve McDaniels OL
Pat Kramer?--DL

Maybe there were others and olson can chip in. Kelleher might be, one but not sure he was from WA.

Actually, I did used to read Terranova's stuff.
by Dennis  (2022-05-19 14:59:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I didn't remember those comments about Lezon but I've chucked most of my really old recruiting materials. There was some guy from the East coast (Pittsburgh area?) who never made a dent at ND but whom Terranova thought would be another "Joe Willie" (i.e., Namath).

Ken Karcher Glenshaw Pa Parade AA
by olson  (2022-05-19 15:08:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Terranova was told Karcher was going to be the 'next Joe Willie'

Karcher was one of the 13 Parade AAs that Faust signed in '81

Karcher got to start a game at ND after Blair Kiel went down with an injury....according to another Irish player in the book 'Talking Irish', Karcher was always complaining about his lack of playing time.

So Ken got his chance vs Air Force...ND got their asses kicked...a walk on named O'Hara came in a QB to replace Karcher

Karcher ended up transferring to Tulane

Yeah, that was the one. *
by Dennis  (2022-05-19 15:12:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Following up on your comments, I thought "Talking Irish"
by Dennis  (2022-05-19 15:21:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was one of the most enjoyable reads about ND ever. I especially enjoyed the story about the end of the 1961 ND-Syracuse game, the one that resulted in the rule change about games never ending on a defensive penalty, and the one about Huarte expecting to start a game and then a reserve QB being told to start after barely practicing all week. Really a fun book!

Actually, I did used to read Terranova's stuff.
by Dennis  (2022-05-19 14:59:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I didn't remember those comments about Lezon but I've chucked most of my really old recruiting materials. There was some guy from the East coast (Pittsburgh area?) who never made a dent at ND but whom Terranova thought would be another "Joe Willie" (i.e., Namath).

Flemons lived in my dorm.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2022-05-19 13:49:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was more like a Warrick Dunn-type back and may have been even shorter.

I always thought Flemons was a good RB
by tf86  (2022-05-19 14:06:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Who had the misfortune of being in the same recruiting class as Allen Pinkett.

My freshman year at ND -- thanks for the info
by tf86  (2022-05-19 10:57:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And the trip down memory lane. I remember the JV games being covered in The Observer, but never with this level of detail. There was no mention of JV football games after the 1982 season -- I assumed, but did not know for certain, that the program had been dropped.

One question: since you cited lack of scholarships as the reason for discontinuing the JV football program, do you know of any other schools that still operate one? Asking because I honestly don't know.

Mine as well....
by crazychester  (2022-05-20 00:19:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When I got my room mate notice it was Eric Dorsey, McLean, Va. I assumed it was some rich DC kid until I saw his picture in faces in the crowd in SI that summer...he won a bunch of field events I believe. Anyway, I showed up in Dillon and no Eric Dorsey....he had become fast friends with Pinkett in fall camp and decided to live together. I met him a few times in the ensuing years....nice enough guy.

I knew a few of those guys and the ones I knew were all pretty down to earth. Dingens played in every game of his 4 years save for the 82 opener against Michigan. I think he has put three kids through ND. Wiso could only be described as oft-injured. Always seemed to have a cast as he rolled around Dillon. Good player though. Kevin Smith was up in the ghetto in Dillon in a single. He was sophomore surrounded by a bunch of idiot Freshman. Nice enough guy though.

Who showed up instead of Dorsey?
by 801stlouis  (2022-05-20 13:16:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m curious as it might help me understand who is calling me an idiot. Weisso was a great guy. Had lots of epic times with him to include the Liberty Bowl week where we had 24/7 access to the Hospitality Banquet room in the BC hotel and an official Liberty Bowl car. Also used to hang out with Plantz in 370 in 83-84…both really good guys. I was surprised to learn recently that Weisso made the very first tackle of the Holtz era, or at least was given credit for it on TV.

I lived in Stanford
by tf86  (2022-05-20 11:56:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

During freshman orientation weekend, we had a joint dorm party with Keenan. Eric Dorsey showed up for it. I remember thinking at the time that he was the most massive human being I had ever seen in person. Nice guy too.