ND was certainly blessed with SE talent in that era
by Hanratty5ND (2022-07-22 17:49:55)

In reply to: off the front page  posted by olson

I have a hard time picking a favorite between Seymour and Gatewood. Both were fabulous for ND. Great memories.

-- You may want to check your info on Kirk Gibson. I could have sworn I remember seeing him play WR for MSU vs ND in the mid 70's. Don't recall the year- but it was a low scoring game that ND won. I don't think Gibson was at MSU in 1966 unless he was on the Shawn Crawford plan.

You're right -it was Steve Garvey not Kirk Gibson
by olson  (2022-07-22 17:54:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Garvey played DB for Michigan St vs Notre Dame - Frosh game in '66 the Friday night before the famous 10-10 tie between the varsity

Gibson was much later.
by SorinBasement  (2022-07-22 18:36:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I went to East Lansing when we played MSU in 1978. Gibson had been drafted by the Tigers earlier that summer. As a Tiger fan, I cringed every time he was hit.

He was a remarkable athlete, a first-round MLB pick even though he only played one year of college baseball. He would’ve been a first-rounder in the NFL draft had the Tigers not drafted him first.

Now that makes sense. I forgot about Garvey
by Hanratty5ND  (2022-07-22 18:21:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Another LA Dodger who played football at MSU.
Thanks.