ND and the Big Ten - Academic issues
by JackMack (2022-08-02 10:26:23)

Sorry if this has been discussed (if so, please guide me to the discussion). But I seem to recall that, when ND considered joining the Big Ten in 2003, there was a lot of discussion about the academic side of the equation. I seem to remember reading that colleges/universities within an athletic conferences have important links and alliances on the academic side (research resources and other tools), although a quick online search doesn't show me anything on that. And I seem to recall that, in 2003, that potential academic affiliation with the Big Ten was an important factor in the decision making. Indeed, I seem to recall that the faculty - whose opinion was solicited by the University - was in favor of joining the conference as they felt that the Big Ten offered much more than was available to them at that time through some sort of unofficial alliance they had with some one or more other universitie).

In the current discussions (in the media, online, etc.), I'm hearing no mention of this academic side of the issue. Is my memory totally wrong about academic links and the 2003 consideration? If I'm right, why aren't we hearing any discussion of that issue?

Thanks.

Replies: