Clements getting props from Rodgers and Jordan Love
by G.K.Chesterton (2022-08-04 22:50:23)

for improving Love's footwork.

Excerpt:

Between three standout throws, and a couple of throwaways that showed progress in Love’s decision making, it was a toss to Sammy Watkins over the middle that had quarterback Aaron Rodgers heaping praise on both Love and quarterbacks coach Tom Clements.

“The ball was great, but it all starts with the footwork,” Rodgers said Wednesday. “It was an inside zone fake on the left; at the top of his drop, he was heavy, and he one-hitched a perfect 4-5-5-4 to throw that ball. That's the difference. When you start figuring out the fundamentals and throwing from the ground up, the throwing becomes the easy part because your feet tell you exactly when to throw the ball. And that was beautiful footwork.

“Year three is always a jump but I've seen the fundamentals, you know, get that little cleanup that needed to happen. That allows him I think to be a little bit more accurate.”

The 4-5-5-4 Rodgers mentioned references the steps a quarterback takes after the drop back to set their base and then throw in rhythm. Mastering that move will allow a quarterback to make the throw they need to make in the face of pressure. Rodgers gives a ton of credit to Clements for the change in Love.

“I mentioned that to Matt, you know after the season … if he wants to bring in somebody to teach fundamentals the right way, every single day, then Tom’s the guy,” Rodgers said.

“The attentiveness to the fundamentals, I think is really going to help Jordan and Danny (Etling) out because if you want to be accurate in this league, you got to throw the ball in rhythm and on balance. And I think for the first time there's the right amount of emphasis on those fundamentals.”

Love concurred, sharing that his fundamentals with his base was the biggest thing Clements wanted to address in the young passer’s game this offseason.

"Watching film from last year, the games I played in, lot of throws, my feet would be kind of off, not be pointed to the target, not have a perfect base. So that's the biggest thing I’ve been working on,” Love said. “Just continue to keep a base whenever you’re throwing, whether you get off platform or not, just try to get back to the base as quickly as you can, and just continue to grow from that base.