Fair enough on NESCAC vs ACC or B1G
by fortune_smith (2022-08-05 00:31:03)
Edited on 2022-08-05 00:37:55

In reply to: The UAA is a terrific conference  posted by fontoknow

But going down the line there as well, there are a fair number of spots, as a tuition-paying parent, where I would pick the ACC school over the NESCAC school.

For example, I would rather send a kid to Duke or ND over Amherst or Williams, as I simply believe the alumni networks are broader and the resourcing is clearly superior. (I have a Domer. It hasn’t crossed my mind that I’d rather have her at Amherst or Williams. And I’m also sending one to Northwestern — roughly equivalent to Duke — which she picked over Amherst among other excellent choices.)

Who’s third in the NESCAC? Bowdoin? UVa versus Bowdoin? Not sure. My sister went to UVa. She definitely would have picked it over Bowdoin. However, I have no doubt there are plenty who would rather be Polar Bears.

Who’s fourth, fifth and sixth? Middlebury, Tufts and Wesleyan in an order that could be debated? I would rather send a kid to Wake — and I actually have a Deac — than any of those three. UNC versus those three? BC versus those three? We could debate.

Who’s seventh in the NESCAC? Colby? Which school has greater prestige: Georgia Tech or Colby? Maybe it depends on course of study. But it’s not obvious that Colby is superior.

Who’s bringing up the rear in the NESCAC? I’m not sure the pecking order among Bates, Conn College, Hamilton and Trinity. Surely one can get a fantastic education at any of the four. And I suppose they do sound fancier in the aggregate than FSU, Miami, Pitt and Syracuse. Going down the pecking order, this seems to be the area where the NESCAC could most strongly claim superiority.

Replies: