MSU always will be #2 in its home state.
by Kayo (2022-11-27 16:03:25)

In reply to: Fair, although I think it's close  posted by Freight Train

UW is beloved in Wisconsin. There is no other contender for local fans' affection.

Yes, and MI has 2x the population of WI
by Freight Train  (2022-11-27 16:36:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Edited to add that the foregoing is all moot since cujays96 reminded me of the mess that was the MSU institutional situation circa Feb 2020 when Dantonio resigned. I can see why Fickell avoided that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FSU is, and always will be, the #2 program in the state of FL. That, by itself, wouldn't make WI a superior program to FSU, right?

Let's take a look at a few selected stats below.

All-Time Win %
MSU - 60.0%
WI - 58.6%

Seasons Ranked in Final AP Poll:
MSU - 28
WI - 26

2015-2019 Attendance Capacity % (Perhaps there are longer dated records available)

MSU- 96.58%
WI - 97.07%

Based on the foregoing, I think MSU and WI are equals in terms of program stature. While I respect your point about primacy in the hearts of minds of its citizenry, I think the data above provides some mitigating effect to that point.

At any rate, I think my larger point is that whichever of the two you rank higher, I hope we can agree that a) they're pretty close and b) I'm surprised Fickell turned down MSU 2 years ago just to take WI now. I just don't think the programs are that different. Perhaps he sees his window closing and needs to strike now. That would make sense.

But UW pulls from Northern Illinois as well. The ....
by Rocksteady74  (2022-11-29 12:05:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... difference in results of the two programs over the last few decades suggests that the UW recruiting story is easier to sell than the MSU story.

And Madison is a far better place to live.

One thing worth noting...
by John@Indy  (2022-11-28 09:44:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...is that if you had compared the two programs in 1992, MSU, even in the midst of late-Perles malaise, would have obviously been the better program historically. But since 1993 Wisconsin has won over 70 percent of its games, has won multiple conference titles and major bowl games, and has had only two losing seasons. Of the 26 times Wisconsin has been ranked in the final AP poll, 17 have come since 1993. In the same period, MSU has been ranked in the final AP poll 9 times. Most of its ranked teams came under Duffy Daugherty.

MSU restored some shine under Dantonio, and his best couple of teams were better than any Wisconsin team from Alvarez to present. UW has never really contended for a national title and has played soft nonconference schedules and in the Big Ten's JV division. Still, Wisconsin has been a meaningfully better program for a generation. Both are good jobs, but I think Wisconsin is a bit more attractive.

All good points *
by Freight Train  (2022-11-28 13:50:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Matt Campbell makes the case to move when your star
by cujays96  (2022-11-27 16:39:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is on the rise.

He'll be entering David Shaw territory...
by supernd  (2022-11-27 23:14:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He needs another big season so he can get out of there or else he will be a victim of staying too long.