ReMarcs
by Bacchus (2022-11-28 19:11:31)
Edited on 2022-11-28 16:07:48

In reply to: Marc My Words  posted by Kayo

• “The sun will still rise in the morning,” I said to myself as I tried to maintain perspective. Then, on Sunday, I woke to a dark, rainy morning. No sun. Evil prevailed.

• Was anyone else put off by how palsy Marcus Freeman looked in his pregame chat with Lincoln Riley? He looked as if the game was just a lark, with no sense of the crusader’s mission he should have had to vanquish evil. Meanwhile, Riley seemed to have, paraphrasing Mark Twain, “the serene confidence of an [anti-]Christian holding four aces” --- and a Heisman Trophy winner.

• “I wish it need not have happened in my time,” said Frodo. “So do I,” said Gandalf, “and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

• I like what Holtz decided to do with his time. You’re on the clock, Marcus. Coach’s reputations are made in this rivalry.

• Preparing the defense for what USC does would have been a fine use of the time given us.

• I’m not sure why the defense looked so unprepared. I mean, we had Ron Powlus III playing Caleb Williams on the scout team.

• Pass interference on the quarterback… That’s a first for this old man.

• The fact that that call went Notre Dame’s way in a game played at the Coliseum moved the sighting from merely rare to mythological.

• I can understand why some Notre Dame fans might be contemptuous of the number of transfers USC added this season even though, in a strategic shift for the Trojans, it’s completely legal. Regardless, transfers into and out of programs are a fact of life that a coaching staff can’t allow to be a net negative. The ND basketball programs have done a good job adding excellent players who fit the school via transfer. Marcus Freeman should be doing the same.

• You mean Notre Dame needs to cast a wider net than just grad transfers from Wisconsin and Harvard?

• It isn’t easy to keep television and live stream in sync, but it’s worth the effort to hear Ryan Harris analyzing the game. He is thoughtful and fair without pulling punches when he talks about play calling, individual breakdowns, and game plans.

• So, on a scale from 1 to 10 with Mike Tirico being a 10 and Chris Fowler being a bag of dicks, Harris is a Kevin Harlan.

• It’s the final week of the regular season, and everyone knows what that means. Yes, it’s time to name the season’s Pinkel Award winner. Competition was stiff this season. Alabama’s late season scrimmage with Austin Peay comes to mind, and I think Miami’s game against Bethune-Cookman has earned first runner up. However, I’m pushing for TCU because I’m pretty sure AD Jeremiah Donati had to invent the Tarleton Texans before scheduling them. Are you with me?

• Alabama’s accumulation of Pinkel Awards exceeds even its claimed number of national championships. Rather than swim against the Tide, I’ll change the subject and nominate Minnesota in a new category of worst novelty uniforms, helmet subdivision. As abominable as some of ND’s Shamrock series uniforms have been (particularly the desecrations of the iconic gold helmets), at least we’ve never subjected our players to wearing this..

• ND’s basketball broadcaster Tony Simeone gave me the gift of an early Hardin Award quote that saved me some work beyond a cursory tour of the usual suspects’ websites on Sunday morning. As I listened to the radio wrap-up while driving home after Wednesday’s basketball game, Simeone shared the news that Youngstown State’s winless streak against now extended to 60 years. Historic dominance… or it would be if the two teams weren’t playing for the first time since 1972. They didn’t even play regularly between 1962 and 1972. Thanks for the gift of time, Tony.

• Wait until Tony learns about Iowa Pre-Flight’s winless streak against the football team! My nomination goes to Colorado’s SID for football, David Plati. His postgame notes are a trove of irrelevancies, minutia, and excuse-making that can only be appreciated in toto. We learn such things as the teams’ second down efficiency (by half!), the record of all 55 QBs to start in their first game at CU since 1959 (27-27-1), and that 22 different Buffaloes had a pass reception this season (second behind only Michigan). He puts his finger on the cause of Colorado’s recent futility (a 24-34-1 record when wearing all black uniforms, but just 3-20-1 in the last 24). My favorite was his announcement of TE Brady Russell as the winner of the 25th annual Buffalo Heart Award for the player who epitomizes what it means to be a Colorado Buffalo. The coveted award is selected by the “fans behind the bench.” Bravo Mr. Plati.

• Just when one starts thinking a Brian Kelly team is pretty good, it drops a really smelly turd. Get used to it, LSU fans.

• For a time this season, I began to worry that the former Irish coach was right, and that all he needed to prove he was a championship-level football coach was to move to an SEC program. I apologize for losing faith in Brian Kelly’s ability to not come through in the end.

• Note to Michigan linebacker Trente Jones: Failing to pierce the ground when you try to plant your flag in an opponent’s stadium makes you look like a douche.

• Well, that and wearing the winged helmet.

• I know. It’s all wrong. By rights we shouldn’t even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine all the clearer.

• Maybe the arrival of Lincoln Riley and his transfer machine will elevate USC once again to the ranks of perennial NC contenders. So be it. The Notre Dame-USC rivalry are at its best when titles are at stake for both teams. Now, it’s up to the Irish to hold up their end.

• My only question: Who’s going to have the 85-yard run in Notre Dame Stadium next October?

• I just hope it’s someone wearing a gold helmet.

• Kayo

• Bacchus

Replies:
    This post or one above it in the reply chain has been locked by the Site Administrators. No reply is permitted.