I'm surprised that performance-based contracts haven't
by KeoughCharles05 (2022-11-29 12:57:52)

In reply to: A bit of a hijack - what salary is reasonable?  posted by pmoose

become more popular. Most coaches have bonuses in for meeting certain performance measures but they're paltry and insignificant compared to base pay.

For schools that don't have a completely toxic environment, I think I'd spell out some specific conditions that would allow (but not require) firing for-cause, such as:
-Winning below X number of games/conference games
-Losing X number of games/conference games by more than Y points
-Having a finding/punishment that results in the loss of scholarships, bowl eligibility, or vacation of wins.

Then in terms of payment, I'd go with a lower base-pay, and meaningful performance-based pay. I lay out a framework below, specific amounts or conditions could vary (e.g., some teams might value end of season totals, or final CFP ranking ranges, etc...), but you get the basic idea:

Base pay? $500K

Then, I'd offer bonuses for the important things:
-$750K for win over primary rival
-$500K for win over the next two most important games of the season (decided before the season)
-$250K for win over the next five teams (decided before the season)
-$100K for win over any remaining non-buy games
-$1 for win over any buy games
-Win a non-playoff bowl game over a top 10 team: $1M
-Win a non-playoff bowl game over a top 20 team: $500K
-Make the playoff (current 4-team version)? $2M
-Win a playoff game? $3M
-Win a championship? $6M

You would probably want some sort of recruiting & player retention payments to incentivize ongoing roster maintenance even after a coach may have decided he's moving on, so again, these amounts would need to vary somewhat.

These things stack. Win the whole thing, you're looking at $15M. I don't think any school should be concerned about paying $15M for each nat'l championship year. That's probably still a bargain. The real concern is paying $10M for Texas A&M or MSU's season this year.

Some examples of this particular framework would have played out in past seasons:
BK 2016 $1,000,002.
BK 2017 $2.95M
BK 2018 $5.3M
MF 2022 $2.2M + potential bowl game of up to $1M

Replies: