Chryst had checked out and made terrible hires..
by NDFaninMadTown (2022-11-30 17:25:55)

In reply to: Was Wisconsin’s offense good?  posted by cujays96

He hired a RB coach who was a former UW center and had never coached RBs. He hired a QB Coach/OC in Bobby Engram who had never played nor coached QBs and hadn't even called plays, but his son was on the team so he hired him.

I think maybe he hired him to try to get Caleb Williams to come to UW (which he actually considered) and Engram's son was Williams BFF in high school.

He hired a DL coach who had never been a DL coach (though he played there) he had never even coached a position, was only a strength coach by trade.

Chryst was disinterested in recruiting and didn't even show up for camps where he could assess talent that was competing at his camps.

Paul's dad died at 55 suddenly and he never wanted to coach past 55. He's 57. I firmly believe he WENT to the AD and asked to step down, and that's why his buyout was reduced. After all, who gets fired midseason and agrees to have his buyout reduced by millions of dollars?

I do think Fickell will bring in all his own guys, save maybe Leonhard who I think he will offer as DC, but I think will end up at a bigger school as DC (Saban will make room) or in the NFL.

If Fickell somehow gets Leonhard to stay (entirely possible since he's only 39 and still has plenty of money from his playing days in the NFL) they wil be very, very formidable.

Chryst had essentially quit coaching.

Everyone thinks the Mertz kid sucks, which statistically he has, but the kid has talent and NEVER has been properly coached in college.

I do almost certainly think Braelon Allen their stud RB will be in the portal soon.