It's sounds like the Pac-12 is at a crossroads.
by G.K.Chesterton (2023-03-07 13:39:49)

You can see the linked story about the broadcast rights discussion, but from the Pete Thamel linked within that story (paywalled), comes this item:

Around the Pac-12, this week is viewed as a pivotal one. While there's no chance at a final deal coming, a continued lack of clarity could be consequential as many league schools remain on edge about the future. Does more ambiguity lead to some putting up their periscopes to seek out more stable ground?

The league has reached a point where schools looking around and engaging with other conferences has gone from an option to an expectation.

According to sources, there has been at least minimal contact between the Big 12 and the Four Corner schools -- Arizona, Arizona State, Utah and Colorado. That contact has emerged to varying degrees and via various methods, depending on the school. But there's a bottom-line pragmatism to the conversation. "You can't blame anyone for looking for options and what's out there," an industry source said.

I wonder if USC ND will end up being a casualty *
by SEE  (2023-03-13 13:42:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Strictly my opinion, but . . .
by tf86  (2023-03-08 09:35:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't see the Pac-12 existing much longer, at least not in any semblance of a form that we recognize.

I think Oregon and Washington will leave for the Big Ten fairly soon. Even a half share from the Big Ten likely will be greater than a full share they would get from the Pac-12. Cal and Stanford may do the same, although it's less likely there's enough interest from the Big Ten to make that happen.

If that happens, it becomes all but a certainty that the Four Corners schools -- Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah -- depart for the Big XII.

That leaves Oregon State and Washington State, which probably wind up in the Mountain West. In that event, I would expect the Mountain West to call itself the Pac-14, based on the following:

*Some argument for continuity, i.e., Oregon State and Washington State.
*Pac has a stronger brand name than does the Mountain West.
*Most importantly, there will be no one left to demand payment for use of the Pac name.

So what would happen to Cal and Stanford? Independence? *
by VaDblDmr  (2023-03-08 21:08:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Us and Stanford to the B1G. *
by Wooderson  (2023-03-09 10:58:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I do think Stanford would try to recruit us in as a pair.
by tdiddy07  (2023-03-10 09:06:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because I doubt the Big Ten gives a shit about Cal. And I'd guess they don't care about Stanford much unless it gives them leverage to add a power in a revenue-generating sport.

The Big10 would love getting Stanford and their $1.8billion
by dfw  (2023-03-10 14:17:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In annual research money into the academic side of the conference as well as opening opportunities for research collaboration.

That's real money.

Proof that football is what's driving the bus on conference
by tf86  (2023-03-13 09:14:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Realignment. If that were most important, the B1G would have Stanford already.

My best guess
by tf86  (2023-03-09 10:02:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They'd jump on an invitation from the Big Ten, if one is forthcoming. If not, independence for both probably is the most likely option. If not, they could deemphasize (to FCS) football, or perhaps even drop it altogether. The Mountain West is also an option. They'd love to have either Stanford or Cal, or both, although those schools might not be overjoyed at that option.

In my childhood, the Pac winning the Rose Bowl over the Big Ten was in the "death and taxes" category. Now, the Pac-12 could be deleted from existence due to the actions of the Big Ten. The irony is not lost upon me.

I'm not so sure on your last point
by jt  (2023-03-08 11:48:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the Colts have blocked any sort of use of their Baltimore name, logo, etc. for 40 years.

To what extent?
by tf86  (2023-03-09 09:58:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't notice a difference between their current logo and the logo from their days in Baltimore. Any changes have been subtle, at best. And IIRC, franchise records include their days in Baltimore.

Colts fight any use of Colts/Stallions in Baltimore
by gregmorrissey  (2023-03-09 14:57:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I believe the City of Cleveland sued and won to retain the rights to the Browns name which is why when Art Modell moved the franchise to Baltimore he couldn't use the Browns name --- and also couldn't use the Colts (or Stallions as JT points out) because the Irsay's owned the trademark as it relates to professional football teams in the Baltimore area and would have sued.

they fight any name that is remotely close
by jt  (2023-03-09 14:05:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

like Stallions, for example.

How silly. There's only thing worth fighting for.
by SWPaDem  (2023-03-10 22:56:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hope no bad people show up.

Isn't it the Ravens blocking the Browns
by Wooderson  (2023-03-09 11:07:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from franchise history stuff?

No, it's the NFL
by Cheg80  (2023-03-10 00:42:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When Modell moved the Cleveland franchise to Baltimore, the league decided to say that the Browns had suspended operations and the records, name, etc. would remain in Cleveland. Meanwhile, Modell was allowed to take the team personnel, equipment, etc. with him to Baltimore to form an "expansion" team.

The Browns were in limbo for a couple years and then reformed. They weren't technically considered an expansion team, but they were restocked via an expansion draft.

Pretty sure they were trying to avoid a repeat the fiasco of the Colts move to Indy and the uproar that took place among fans and former players.

I honestly have no idea
by tf86  (2023-03-09 11:42:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought that part of the Browns/Ravens settlement was that the Browns franchise retained the rights to franchise records.

Either way, I'm not sure of the relevance to the possibility of the Mountain West renaming itself as the Pac if the Pac dissolves. I don't think any former Pac member schools have exclusive rights to the Pac-8/10/12 name.

it would depend what is registered with the secretary
by jt  (2023-03-09 14:06:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of the various states and if they want to renew the name when needed.

For example, I happen to own the business name "SMAP Financial Services" in several states, even though I don't use it and haven't for years. That prohibits anyone else who might be interested in registering under that name from using it, even if I'm not.

It would be a Trademark claim by the USPTO, I assume
by gregmorrissey  (2023-03-09 15:05:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not the individual Secretaries of State. As for the Pac 10 name, it would be interesting. The Catholic schools of the Big East sued and won the right to retain the trademark rights for the Big East name.

As for SMAP Financial Services, you have an obligation to defend the trademark as well. For example, if you are SMAP Financial Services, LLC, then I assume that the Secretary of State will not reject a filing for a corporation named SMAP Financial Services, Inc. But, if you have filed and been awarded a trademark from the USPTO then you could sue them to enforce your trademark rights and have them change their name. But, this only applies to the same or closely related industries. If SMAP Financial Services, Inc. is actually a t-shirt company then they would probably win the trademark case and be able to keep operating under that name (as nonsensical as that name would be for a t-shirt company).

thanks for the explanation, that makes sense
by jt  (2023-03-09 17:57:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

either way, I cannot imagine the Pac 12 giving up their rights to the conference name with a significant amount of compensation.

But wouldn't the Pac 12 simply be the remaining member
by tdiddy07  (2023-03-10 09:05:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

schools? Even if it's only like two schools, through the commissioner acting as their executive acting at their discretion, they could negotiate a deal with the Mountain West or the West Coast Conference or whatever takers they have to merge assets and retain the Pac # name. The remaining schools would have an incentive to do this because the Pac 12's brand power is greater than whatever conference they would merge with.

If all Pac 12 teams bolted, I assume the organization would dissolve as there'd be no income to pay for administrative staff. With no one to use intellectual property to keep its protection, given its substantial intellectual property at issue that would be up for grabs, I'd guess a receiver would be appointed to deal with the assets. And there's a decent chance a pacific coast conference would be interested in picking this up. Which is why the remaining Pac 12 teams should want to try to leverage that early on rather than bolt for a lesser conference.

sure they could sell them the name
by jt  (2023-03-10 14:04:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought I had made that point; my assertion is that someone can't just look and say, "hey, no conference anymore, we can just take that name!"

Not the first time. They sold their soul to Nike long ago
by Radi-skull  (2023-03-08 00:10:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oh...different crossroads