Can the OL be downfield if it is a pass behind the LOS?
by OrangeJubilee (2024-02-12 16:41:14)

In reply to: by the way, officiating was awful again yesterday  posted by jt

I thought there was some difference in a rule for passes that were behind the LOS, but I may be mistaken. Otherwise it did seem there was a lot of downfield blocking prior to completions.

Not in the nfl
by jt  (2024-02-12 19:19:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If the pass is behind the line the ol can block someone trying to intercept the ball, as long as they are behind (McCaffrey 1st td). If the pass is beyond the line on an rpo the ol cannot be downfield more than 1 yard (game winning td there were ol in the end zone, ball was snapped at the 4).

On that play, I believe the OL were engaged at the LOS.
by jameszuro  (2024-02-13 08:39:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So can't they push their defenders downfield as far as they want?

I'd have to look at it
by jt  (2024-02-13 11:27:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it's not supposed to be a run block look, that usually gets flagged.

Edit: it was a double team run block by the guard and tackle on the 3 technique. They did engage him at the line.

Short answer is No *
by Jvan  (2024-02-12 16:48:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post