let me know when you're ready to answer the 4th and 15
by jt (2024-02-13 17:05:35)
Edited on 2024-02-13 17:06:22

In reply to: What I am doing is no different than what you are  posted by JBrock18

in field goal range question about Reid and whether he would have gone for it. I've posed that to quite a few people with no response to this point. I've heard several NFL analysts (including Brian Baldinger) say that they understand and at least partially agree with Kyle's thinking, and today John Lynch confirmed that the defense's late play (or lack thereof) went into the decision making process as well (I mean, of course it did; they were down 3 starting db's at the time). But hey, Mike Florio and Shannon Sharpe disagree (and probably other dumbfucks like Skip Bayless), and they shout louder than everyone else, so they must be right.

Nobody wants to answer that question because the hypothetical destroys the idea that Shanahan is a dumbass. As Kyle Jusczyk said today, "it's just another way to shit on Kyle." It's dumb, it's pointless, it's sportztalk bullshit.

They blew the game in a variety of ways, mostly OL performance and fumbles. If the defense had held them to a field goal attempt in OT, they would have had a huge advantage. If Mahomes had gotten the ball in a second possession, they would have been at a huge disadvantage. I can see both sides, and given the game circumstances I completely agree with the decision, whereas I completely disagree with other decisions.

The decision was moronic
by JBrock18  (2024-02-14 14:16:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You can put whatever spin you want on it about a tired defense it’s still stupid particularly since that played no part in the on field staff decision. None. John Lynch isn’t talking to anyone during the game. If he said that it’s nothing more than a foolish attempt to defend a dipshit decision by his coach. That will be the one and only time you ever see that mistake again in this spot.

The 4th and 15 question is totally irrelevant. Again you are trying to predict a scenario that is unknown. What is known is that no matter what both teams get a chance to possess the ball. All things equal you absolutely want to go second in this scenario. Making it even more egregious of an error is knowing the QB you are facing is the best in football and has an unheard of success rate of winning games on a final possession. Furthermore you know if they do score there’s about a 99% chance they will put the ball in his hands from the 2 to win the game rather than put their defense out there to try to keep you from getting into FG range.

it's not totally irrelevant
by jt  (2024-02-14 17:44:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the point is that on fourth down in field goal range, Reid would have gone for the kick. And assuming a make, the Niners would have got the ball in sudden death, next score wins.

Again, this is all nonsense sportztalk bullshit. The numbers have been run; it's basically a coin flip, and with a tired defense missing 4 starters (just from this game, 5 if you want to count Hufanga) that had given up 70 yards in less than 2 minutes just prior, it's not some idiotic or horrific call.

The defense has to do it's job at some point. In your world, they would have been better off kicking off and then just taking a knee while the Chiefs ran a play to let them score and then get the ball back to try and get a td and a 2 point conversion. Meanwhile, they had gone through the entire game and the defense (when it wasn't exhausted) had held them to 4 field goals.

So, in other words, a question about holding them to another field goal (after they'd already forced 4) isn't irrelevant. It's actually on point. Now, for your next task, stop dealing in hindsight.