Request for Olson
by 801stlouis (2024-04-24 10:09:26)
Edited on 2024-04-24 10:24:46

Thank you in advance! I have a friend whose uncle was at ND 1936-1940. His name was Harold Gottsacker from Sheboygan, WI. He showed me a press clipping from a Sheboygan article talking about how Elmer Layden had moved him from QB to fullback. I found him moving from Brownson to Morrissey to Dillon to Alumni in the student directory archives. Do you have any additional info on his football career at ND?

Still in Florida…archives are back in NH
by olson  (2024-04-24 11:22:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Will be leaving Cape Coral on Saturday…..back in NH next week.

In the interim, I can tell you that Gottsacker’s move from QB to Fullback in those ‘single wing/ ND Box’ offensive formation days, wasn’t a radical shift….both positions were similar….mostly blocking back/ albeit the Qb did call the signals……the LHB was similar to the later ‘T’ formation QB in the ND Box..Leahy switched from the ND Box to the T formation in 1942…Gottsacker had graduated by then….was in the military and was wounded in action in WWII

I will add any more info that I find after I return to NH next week

Do you regularly go to Cape Coral?
by Nihilist in Golf Pants (click here to email the poster)  (2024-04-26 00:08:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If so I'd love to buy you a beer when we're both down there.

We own a house here-live here in the winter
by olson  (2024-04-26 08:43:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Leaving tomorrow for NH…..

I own a condo for seasonal rental
by Nihilist in Golf Pants  (2024-04-27 15:54:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I visit as soon as the tenant lease ends, April 30 this year.

Sounds like we're destined to miss each other.

You are the best! *
by 801stlouis  (2024-04-24 15:05:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A few items on ‘Moose’ Gottsacker
by olson  (2024-04-25 10:17:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Harold ‘Hal’ Gottsacker was in the 1935 ND Frosh class

Gottsacker’s older brother Bill was a senior at ND in 1935-36

The ‘35 Frosh did not play any games and were not eligible for either the varsity or the ND ‘B’ team (ie Junior Varsity)

In 1936 as a Soph. Gottsacker was a QB on the ND ‘B’ team…….notable for his 94 yd punt return for a td vs Purdue B…..albeit it was called back due to an offsides penalty……ND B won anyway = 26-0

FYI- Gottsacker was referred to as ‘Moose’ in the ND Scholastic write up on his long punt return.

In ‘37 Gottsacker was moved to fullback from QB….listed on the 1937 ND varsity roster as 6’0 187

He was listed as 3rd Fullback behind Mario Tonelli and Ed Siminich.

In the Spring of 1938 Old-Timers game, Hal Gottsacker scored both varsity TDs in the varsity’s 14-13 win over the old timers.

I do not have the varsity season info with me- so I don’t have details/stats on Gottsacker ……but can tell you he definitely played in the opener of 1938 vs Kansas

Coach Layden dressed 81 players…everyone of them played…..ND 52 Kansas 0

Harold Gottsacker graduated from ND in the Spring of 1939