I agree with him. It’s a Packers move
by sprack (2024-04-26 11:07:28)
Edited on 2024-04-26 11:11:50

In reply to: Saban not only defended it but said it was a wise move. Said  posted by MBOIrish

Does anyone really think Jordan Love would be as good as he is if he started as a rookie? Ditto Rodgers before him?

So many of these guys are thrown to the wolves before they’re ready, but most teams don’t have the luxury of being able to sit a guy behind a top experienced quarterback. The Falcons just made that move and I’ll bet it was the plan all along.

Not the same at all
by carroll2005  (2024-04-26 14:10:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When the Packers drafted Rodgers, they had Favre waffling about retirement every offseason.

When the Packers drafted Love, they had Rodgers starting to get kooky and talking about darkness retreats.

They were also mid 20s selections. Not a top 10.

The Falcons just paid 100 million to their immediate future at QB (and then didn't even bother to let him know about the Penix selection). They are supposedly in "win now" mode. They needed to pick someone who could contribute immediately.

I don’t agree
by sprack  (2024-04-26 15:48:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rodgers has always been kooky. But he wasn’t going anywhere and was still playing as well as ever. But he was also the same age as Cousins is now.

I also don’t think they took Favre seriously about retiring.

I think there's a difference between #8 and #26.
by NDBass  (2024-04-26 11:15:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Falcons are supposedly in "win now" mode and they have a ton of holes. The defense is Swiss cheese. Penix, who is older and has had a plethora of injury issues, also seems like a big reach at that point in the draft. I was very wrong about Matt Ryan, so maybe I'm very wrong about Penix.

Oh, definitely a reach on Penix
by sprack  (2024-04-26 11:29:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was agreeing with the concept more than the actual player. But who knows, he could turn out to be great - if he stays healthy. In an average quarterback year he may well have been picked that high.