I don't live there anymore either but
by domer4 (2024-05-01 21:53:49)
Edited on 2024-05-01 21:55:00

In reply to: Mayor is a fellow CC grad  posted by czeche

I will agree that the downtown area is much improved.

Then again, rebuilding the downtown (like with the word Renaissance attached to the Center, People Mover, etc) was the goal in the 1970s, and the rest of the city continued to decline.

About once a year, I drive past where my mom and dad's families both grew up in Brightmoor (and feel like I am risking my life for the memories). Not only are both houses gone, the whole blocks are gone. There is virtually no infrastructure (restaurants, movie theatres, grocery stores, doctors, etc.) for miles and miles.

As a CC grad who went there in Detroit and Redford - I also can never see CC moving back to either place (as well as any Catholic high schools that haven't gone bankrupt since 1980 coming back to Detroit or any new Catholic high school either without heavy subsidies from the order of priests who run it.) In fact, CC would be out of business now if they hadn't left for the suburbs.

It will take hundreds of thousands of middle class people (families) to move back and start building again. I can't see that happening - at least not in my lifetime.