Kelly specifically said he wanted 9 min TOP each qtr. *
by Needamirer (2014-12-31 10:39:28)

Is there a reason he doesn't always want that? *
by cj  (2014-12-31 10:58:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Does any winning program shoot for that?
by SEE  (2014-12-31 12:19:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd have to look. You shouldnt have to play keep away to win games.

You should with a depleted defense.
by Revue Party  (2014-12-31 12:46:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shouldn't you? That's one of the many things I found infuriating during our 1-4 stretch after FSU.

Yeah, I don't know the context of the remark. It looked like
by cj  (2014-12-31 12:34:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we were going to let Fournette get his yards and try to shut down everything else. We shouldn't do it on kickoffs though....

Who knows? "this team is a riddle wrapped in a mystery..."

What was interesting is that for the first time I can recall a broadcaster proclaimed that kelly was easing a qb into the game with high percentage passes.

I've been praying for that epiphany.

It appears to be so basic that kelly isn't interested in it.

Maybe he will be now.

One can hope...

Do you have any idea why Zaire was "benched" all season?

Man, he looks solid...

Chunk plays don't allow for that. *
by PabloFanque  (2014-12-31 11:01:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Do you think he recognized Fournette's big chunk plays?
by cj  (2014-12-31 11:27:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Holy crap that guy is a truck.

Our 20 + yard plays yesterday

1st 1/4

MZ run 26
CJP run 27

2nd 1/4
CB rec 29
CJP rec 21

3rd 1/4
CJP run 50 yds

LSU had chunk plays. We had long drives. Hence,
by PabloFanque  (2014-12-31 11:57:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we dominated TOP. We also won the game. That said, Fournette is NFL ready and too good. As Sprack said below, thank God Miles is dumber than Kelly. Running Fournette 30+ times most likely would have resulted in a different outcome.

I want to thank Leslie E. Miles
by sprack  (2014-12-31 11:31:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For only getting that guy the ball 11 times.

I never want to see him again.

I saw him earlier this year and my jaw dropped. He's on par
by cj  (2014-12-31 11:40:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with and probably better than some of the best we've seen imo.

Freshman... holy sh**.

A 235 pounder who can outrun cornerbacks
by sprack  (2014-12-31 11:50:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This guy is freaking scary. Hell, he's a freaking freak.

It certainly helped when LSU scored 3 TD in 36 seconds
by kmurphy173  (2014-12-31 10:50:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gameplan notwithstanding, I think most people would have preferred to shave off some of ND's TOP minutes if they could have instead been swapped to 3-minute LSU drives that ended in punts.

some of the plays were comical
by jt  (2014-12-31 10:53:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Redfield is likely pretty glad that the season is over and he doesn't need to watch the game tape in team meetings. That's just one example.

It's a thankless position out there & he got caught up-field
by cj  (2014-12-31 11:36:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

too often. As a safety, he needs to throttle it down and make better (safer) bets....tough lessons, hopefully learned.

On a lighter note, we got to see his speed at a not so opportune time.

Also, he had some decent tackles while playing with a cracked rib.

You are correct it was a rough day out there for him.

well, sometimes that's what it takes to get better
by jt  (2014-12-31 11:41:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

playing safety can be a humbling proposition. I haven't given up on him but I was just commenting on how comically poor some of our technique/scheme is on defense.

There's no doubt that he was easily sucked in. You are
by cj  (2014-12-31 11:52:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

100% correct. He HAS to learn from it.

(14 tackles yesterday 10 solo)

The KR return looked as if ND had 8 players on the field
by kmurphy173  (2014-12-31 11:08:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fournette came into the game widely heralded and proved why.

Though, I did love watching Prosise outrun the LSU secondary on his TD run.

Prosise needs to take the rest of Carlisle's reps
by Hanratty5ND  (2014-12-31 11:16:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The guy is explosive with the ball in his hands and a little space.

If he ever figures out the hands thing....

carlisle's run was hilarious
by jt  (2014-12-31 11:28:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

such a poor feel for the game; he had another 10 yards and just ducked his head and speared his own blocker and fell down.

Did you see Folston's reaction after that play?
by Keenan4w  (2014-12-31 14:26:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He made a motion with his hands as if to say "cut the run behind me dammit." It's bad when the blocker has a better idea of where the ball should go than the runner does.

He has no instincts
by Hanratty5ND  (2014-12-31 11:38:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think that was on a kick return. We need a better Kick returner. He is zero threat to take one the distance...or even to midfield.

My memory is short--but don't recall Carlisle doing much this year except vs. Michigan(he had a great game).

As I said--Prosise needs to see any of Carlisle's touches on offense. That guy is explosive and has better instincts with the ball in his hands.

Good call.
by smithwick  (2014-12-31 11:35:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Remember watching that play during the game and thinking it was a great play call only to have Carlisle run into his blockers and the one defender in the area.

Max bit on one of the Mad Hatter's trick plays
by RJD  (2014-12-31 11:04:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Certainly understandable. At one point, LSU had no passing yardage.

that one play was not a trick play
by jt  (2014-12-31 11:29:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it was a run fake play action pass.

And it was also not the only play where he didn't look the best.

I would not call that a trick play.
by hollownd  (2014-12-31 11:13:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It looked like a trick play with how open the receiver was, but it was basically just a play action pass except the play action was just the QB faking a draw.

it's almost as if you're saying
by jt  (2014-12-31 11:43:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the the safety ought to be reading his keys (uncovered lineman, at the minimum) instead of looking into the backfield and flying upfield based on backfield motion.

What kind of madness is that hollownd?

If you want to call faking a QB power "trick play" *
by JBrock18  (2014-12-31 11:08:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not the biggest trick as the announcers noted
by RJD  (2014-12-31 11:25:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but it looked like the QB bent down a bit behind his line after faking the run.

is that legal? *
by jt  (2014-12-31 11:30:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tony Rice 'got away with this' a lot. But, it's not 1988. *
by irishhawk49  (2014-12-31 13:02:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That explains the KR for a TD.
by NDMike2001  (2014-12-31 10:44:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and the other big plays.

Kelly should analyze why Navy plays us so tough
by irishrock  (2014-12-31 10:41:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and this is why...you can't waste an offensive possession with Navy because you know they'll get the ball and hold on to it, rendering a high powered offense less important. If they score, it really puts pressure on your offense to either match it or get ahead.

Kelly should see how that works with superior athletes.

What drives everyone crazy....
by BigNDfan  (2014-12-31 10:41:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If he would have used the same gameplan against the lesser opponents, ND would have smashed teams.

I hope he learned something from this game.

Yeah, Kelly's learned enough to move on *
by irish1968  (2014-12-31 10:51:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post