Assuming all he said was true, so what?
by tdiddy07 (2018-01-11 10:31:51)
Edited on 2018-01-11 10:38:37

In reply to: Thde world ain't black and white  posted by alleghenyirish

I don't discount anything said in the letter about the reasons for the improvement from 2016 to 2017. I don't think many on here do either. I assume all of that to be true. The point is, what does that get us? It's year 8, Kelly just wasted a historically dominant offensive line and had a good but not great season. Kelly is still the guy who commanded the most underachieving season in Notre Dame history. And realizing the sins of his ways improved the program to simply an underachieving season.

How does anything that he said point toward continued improvement in the future? In the end, even in one of Kelly's best seasons, the team was ill-prepared against the stiffest competition. Yay, we're back to being just run of the mill underachievers. Nelson quickly glossed over our colossal failures under the brightest lights. But that's the most important part of the season with respect to predicting future performance under Kelly.

He also erected straw men to support his argument in support of Kelly's future. I don't care about insight to the program. The insinuation that the only improvements that ND can get from Kelly are Saban and Meyer is just plain dumb. It takes no special insight to the program to appropriately rank Kelly's performance and reputation in the industry against his peers. And I can guarantee you that I've spent more time than Nelson has looking at the historical performance of college coaches. For all the things I assume he's right about concerning Kelly's approach to this season, he's just dead ass wrong about where Kelly stacks up against his peers.