Bruce Feldman mentioned BC line coach Justin Frye
by Bluengold07 (2018-01-11 11:48:31)

As a candidate.

Run game coordinator too
by SEE  (2018-01-11 21:55:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Interesting

Right there not a good fit
by Brahms  (2018-01-11 22:09:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kelly couldn't live with him myself if we got a ground game going again

ND finished ahead of Bama, UGA and Wisc in rushing this yr
by jdinportland  (2018-01-13 00:59:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But hey stay with your fact free narrative if it suits your objectives

GA and bama had more total yards and more TDs
by cj  (2018-01-13 23:08:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

rushing than ND.

All 3 had more rushing attempts per game than ND.

ND led in avg per carry and ypg.

Did you watch any of the games this year? *
by bluengold07  (2018-01-12 08:56:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think he did, which is why he said what he said
by ndmaqi  (2018-01-12 09:24:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After 4-5 games of dominant running, Kelly started saying we needed to be more balanced. We started passing a lot more, and stopped running as much.

This is not an accurate characterization of what happened
by oneill3b  (2018-01-12 14:32:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are legitimate beefs about the types of runs we called this year, but your description is just objectively incorrect.

Really? Did you watch the games?
by bluengold07  (2018-01-12 13:47:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the sixth game, Notre Dame ran 57 times for 341 yards. In the seventh game, Notre Dame ran 47 times for 377 yards. In the eight game, Notre Dame ran 54 times for 318 yards.

I'm sorry, i didn't look up the date of the quote
by ndmaqi  (2018-01-12 18:04:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I didn't look up the date of the quote and what game number it was - but it appeared that planning a consistent run game stopped immediately after Kelly said he wanted to pass more. That includes what packages and plays would be part of the game plan.

What happened after that? *
by Mark_It_Zero  (2018-01-12 14:00:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That wasn't what he asked
by bluengold07  (2018-01-12 16:02:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He said that after the 4th or 5th game, Notre Dame went to a more balanced offense. He was wrong.

He said after 4-5 games of dominant running.
by Mark_It_Zero  (2018-01-12 19:21:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He didn't say after the 4th or 5th game. He did not specify which games were the 4-5 games of dominant running. His post is imprecise. I don't question that, but Kelly did talk about changing the narrative on Wimbush's passing ability. I don't think it is out of bounds to suggest that there was a change in focus at some point.

We played teams with a defense. *
by pasteven  (2018-01-12 14:39:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And what about the other 3 games prior to Stanford? *
by tdiddy07  (2018-01-12 15:01:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We gained less yards per carry in the Georgia, Miami,
by Carlos Huerta  (2018-01-12 15:43:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and Stanford games than those teams allowed on average. They should let the individual players share and keep that Joe Moore award, Brian Kelly's program is undeserving of it.

Would be perfect for Urban to poach in two years.
by Irish Tool  (2018-01-11 13:09:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Joking aside, he looks like a solid candidate with a lot of potential.

That would make us even more the Liverpool of CFB.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-01-11 13:32:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

- Find good people but lose them to teams with even more money.
- A team whose greatest glory was in the past but still has a big following.

Stop it! I'm still getting over Coutinho
by mmetzger  (2018-01-12 00:25:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm a Bears, ND, and Liverpool fan. What does that say about me?

You
by HTownND  (2018-01-12 11:44:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Like Warrant and tight rolled jeans

And you are a glutton for punishment

-Fans who spend more time in the hoosegow than at home.
by Irishted  (2018-01-11 15:29:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oh wait.

What a repulsive comparison.

Liverpool has one of the most respected/popular coaches... *
by NDMike2001  (2018-01-11 14:58:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

True *
by Moff  (2018-01-11 18:50:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

YNWA. This is Anfield!
by irishintheville  (2018-01-11 14:57:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Very true and nice analogy.

It's one reason, though not the only one, that I'm
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-01-11 16:32:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a Liverpool fan.

Love my Reds, though they drive me crazy at times.
by irishintheville  (2018-01-11 17:10:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of these years, EPL title and Champions League. I'd settle for one of those right now.

Coaching Career:
by cj  (2018-01-11 12:59:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

2007-08: Indiana, Graduate Assistant

2009-10: Florida, Offensive Line Graduate Assistant

2011-12: Temple, Offensive Line

2013-present: Boston College, Offensive Line

Would be a good hire, in my opinion.
by PeteatND  (2018-01-11 12:21:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

During his 5 years at BC they've frequently averaged >200 yards per game on the ground, had a 2,000 yard rusher (Andre Williams), just had a freshman AA tailback in AJ Dillon, and they've been at the top of the ACC in time of possession. He was also a GA at Florida under Urban Meyer in 2009-2010.

No idea how truthful this rumor is, or what the consensus opinion on him might be, but I'd be happy with it.

the OL coach isn't the issue, IMO
by jt  (2018-01-11 13:23:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the soft/slow developing/fake pass/works at small schools running scheme is the problem.

We need to do more quick hitting, straight ahead running plays. Inside zone, trap, power, power G, etc. All of those plays are in the playbook and suit the talent that we normally have at ND. The whole slow developing crap needs to go.

Commentators said the same thing about Bama's rushing o
by airborneirish  (2018-01-12 14:20:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the first half. In the second half the adjusted and harris did exactly what you're saying. I don't get the refusal of coaches to play to their strengths. To Saban's credit he snapped out of it and won the game.

They also switched QBs and started chucking the ball
by Irishaddict  (2018-01-12 19:20:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To my eye Bama’s first half game plan looked a lot more like the rest of their season than the second half.

Everybody on the board should read your post
by Pmcdnd96  (2018-01-12 09:52:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And if they are inclined to disagree, watch the early running plays in the bowl game where the left side of our offensive line is caving in the defensive line...only to have the safeties, linebackers, and even corners flow to stop the play because it developed so slowly.

Agreed, but he's also BC's run game coordinator.
by PeteatND  (2018-01-11 16:19:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's plausible, if Shanty really is interested in leaving "no stone unturned", per Nelson's dad, that he might delegate some of the structure of the run game to a new OL coach.

Someone like Frye, who has designed a run game before, might have the best shot at convincing "Mr. Red Nose, Short Hose" to give it a shot.

Hiestand also held that title at least when hired.
by tdiddy07  (2018-01-11 17:32:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They don't list that on his bio, though, so I don't know if that title was removed or not at any point with the various OC changes since that time.

Plus, how could we attract top assistants when they have onerous job responsibilities like not being a jerk and teaching their players not to be jerks.

From Hiestand as he departed:
“Father (John) Jenkins and Jack Swarbrick asked us to do more than simply coach football. They asked us to not only help our young men mature, but also prepare them for the trials of life. I loved that challenge."

Well, between Harry and Brian, that makes one of them.

"Mr. Red Nose, Short Hose"
by garbageplate  (2018-01-11 16:59:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well done.

Ha, I've been trying to make that happen for a while.
by PeteatND  (2018-01-11 17:11:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hopefully it'll catch on. Also, original credit goes to my brother, JHND.

JT - how important is QB under center to a power run game?
by Pat85  (2018-01-11 15:03:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have no knowledge of football fundamentals or schemes other than watching thousands of hours of football and listening to analysts.

It appears to me that the kind of power run game you and Across talk about on this board requires at least some plays with the QB under center. Perhaps there are examples of shotgun offenses or plays that offer the same kind of quick hitting, straight ahead power running, but to my eyes, I preferred the plays ND has run with the QB under center (most in 2012, some in 2017), and the same for other college and pro offenses.

Watching the Georgia-Bama game, I felt that if they had committed to a much higher percentage of under center run calls on 1st and 2nd down, they would have established control of TOP, the line of scrimmage and the overall game by the 4th quarter (as I also felt in the ND Miami and Stanford games).

It’s not important. *
by BigNDfan  (2018-01-11 17:43:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not during basketball season anyway. *
by tdiddy07  (2018-01-15 11:49:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's just stupid
by HTownND  (2018-01-12 10:16:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even for you.

Is it 100% required? No.

But to say it's not important at all is galatically stupid.

Do you watch football? Did you watch the two teams that got to the title game?

They are capable of both running from the shotgun and from under center. The idea that the spread, no under center plays is the wave of the future is spurious at best. And yes, Clemson ran power plays, so it's not 100% required, but the idea that it isn't important just shows a complete and utter lack of basic understanding of football.

I think I've asked before, but did you actually play football growing up?

Cipher *
by ACross  (2018-01-12 00:32:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you have time to answer this but not El K's question below? *
by jt  (2018-01-11 18:46:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would prefer it but it's not mandatory
by jt  (2018-01-11 15:15:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you can run all of those plays from gun or pistol, especially inside zone. We ran most/all of those plays this year, along with some (I believe) wide zone where you pull lineman around like fold blockers.

About zero is you watch Alabama and/or Georgia to any
by KevinPS  (2018-01-11 15:12:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

real degree.

Now that ‘s some syntax *
by ACross  (2018-01-12 00:33:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lets the RB rest between snap and taking the handoff.
by PWK2  (2018-01-11 13:28:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They stay fresh through the fourth quarter this way.

QB under center
by skanman  (2018-01-11 16:54:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The pistol and shotgun favor the passing game. but I like the QB under center on short runs in the red zone.

A good offense
by HTownND  (2018-01-12 11:02:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can and probably should have a mix.

If you go to the gun every time you throw, and under center, every time you run, that's telegraphing 101.

A good offense can and should do both. Pass from under center, run from the gun, etc. The formations, while important, aren't as essential as the design of the runs and passes themselves.

Here's the potential problem with that
by tf86  (2018-01-11 19:53:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The positioning of the QB immediately telegraphs whether it's a run play or a pass play. Unless you're going with a quick count (e.g., first sound), it's rather easy for the defense to make pre-snap adjustments.

Yes, that way they won't be so jumpy. *
by SWPaDem  (2018-01-11 13:32:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as long as they can adequately pass protect *
by jt  (2018-01-11 13:29:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't understand why that crap even works at
by TWO  (2018-01-11 13:26:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

small schools or even HS.

because differences in athletes are more striking
by jt  (2018-01-11 13:29:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

every level you move up is an all star team of the one you were just at.

Agree. He's gotten good results with lesser talent.
by oneill3b  (2018-01-11 12:29:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It would be nice to have a voice in the room who truly believes in power running based on his experience. And the young guys are usually willing recruiters.