Deserves some credit?
by IrishJosh24 (2018-01-11 14:42:26)
Edited on 2018-01-11 16:30:49

In reply to: Thde world ain't black and white  posted by alleghenyirish

For a "turnaround" that was possible only because he did such a horrific job the previous year? Yippee!

I don't think Brian Kelly is literally Satan. I don't even think he's figuratively Satan. I think he's a terrible representative of the University and a mediocre coach. He's not the right person for this job.

And I don't really care, to be perfectly honest, how humble and kind he was when he was trying to convince the best player on the team to return for another year. I care more about what he said about Sam Mustipher and DeShone Kizer, in public, to deflect blame than I do about what he said to Quenton Nelson, in private, to get him to stay.

I'm not sure I'd feel differently about a scathing letter from a player's parents. It's nice to see that Mr. Nelson felt good about the season and is happy with the coaching his son received this year. I wouldn't enjoy reading that other parents feel otherwise. But I don't need a player's parents to tell me whether Notre Dame should--or could--get a better coach. I don't think they have uniquely valuable insight there. Brian Kelly isn't the best we can do. Mr. Nelson won't convince me otherwise.

But I tell you what: I'll give Brian Kelly credit for the turnaround the moment he takes blame for the academic misconduct that resulted in vacated victories and probation. Right now, we are both on "Zero. None. Absolutely none."

Replies: