Your mind is certainly made up
by mattymcd (2018-01-11 17:28:30)

In reply to: "I can tell you in all honesty that we sat before a very  posted by cj

I get it. You don't like Kelly, and there is nothing he can do to win your favor.

1) He had a horrible 4-8 season. With that said, I think he deserves some credit for changing his stripes and looking for anything he could to do a better job (including eschewing some of the speaking engagements and fund raising efforts). And I think that Nelson would have picked up on it if the coach didn't sound sincere in his humility.

2) I agree, we lost a HUGE opportunity to compete for a national championship this year. The Miami game was a shit show, but it was something that I've seen a lot in college football. Sometimes a good team has a bad game at the worst possible time... against another good team at their very best. Miami never played a better game this year... not even close. We rode our very one dimensional offense as far as it could take us this year. Miami basically pinned their ears back and attacked both options of the read option run with little regard for the passing game. Wimbush never found his accuracy this season, and by the end, our opponents knew they could play straight man and focus on stopping Adams.

3) How did Stanford outsmart us? We turned the ball over 2 times in the span of a minute and they scored three touchdowns in the span of 3 minutes. It was 20-17 at that point. Hats off to Stanford for making big plays when they needed it. I didn't see this as a huge coaching failure. Those mistakes are hard to overcome.

Anyways, I'm ambivalent about Kelly. I think he had a nice season and most of my disappointment stems from the high hopes that I had when we sat there at 8-1 with 8 dominant wins and a 1-point loss to an excellent Georgia team... The end of the season sucked, but there was also a lot to like about this year. As far as the NC being there for the taking... I think that it was if Kizer had stayed.