AP: Saudi women now allowed to go to football stadiums
by Frank Drebin (2018-01-12 17:49:08)

Atleast Jack can now go after that demographic group to maintain ND’s sellout record. Maybe ND can become ISIS’s favorite team

You realize "football" means soccer outside of the US? *
by 84david  (2018-01-13 09:06:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Come on kid you are messing up the act. Take ur prize and go *
by Frank Drebin  (2018-01-13 12:21:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

pelted with RH empties... *
by 84david  (2018-01-15 09:55:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s why SWPaDem replied "Haven't they suffered enough?" *
by Father Nieuwland  (2018-01-13 11:05:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nice *
by ArasEra  (2018-01-13 17:54:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To borrow from the late great Beano Cook,
by SWPaDem  (2018-01-12 19:19:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Haven't they suffered enough?".

And once again I knew exactly what the body of your post was
by ArasEra  (2018-01-12 20:48:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

before I opened it.

I do miss Beano.

He sure knew his college football.
by SWPaDem  (2018-01-13 08:16:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was on to JoePa being a fraud pretty much well before anyone else. And unlike some others, I always thought he was fair in his assessment of the Notre Dame Football program and its fans.

I particularly liked his analogies to college football involving World War II, especially when working in the Sinking of the Bismarck.

In May of nineteen forty-one the war had just begun
by RJD  (2018-01-13 08:41:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Germans had the biggest ship, they had the biggest guns

Why would they want to go to an ND game....
by Marine Domer  (2018-01-12 19:04:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

just when they were being released from having to cover their heads in shame?

Maybe they mean soccer where that doesn't apply. *
by Dadknuknutesson  (2018-01-13 07:42:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Has a scene from "John Goldfarb ... " written all over it *
by Chuck84  (2018-01-12 18:05:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shamrock Series... The special uniforms will be great. (link)
by Kayo  (2018-01-12 19:10:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I didn't know Col. Potter and Mr. Howell
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-01-12 21:38:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

were in the same film together.

One of the YouTube previews that was linked there is a color film of the 1939 UCLA-USC game, which ended in a 0-0 tie -- thanks in large part to a Trojan fumble forced by Jackie Robinson into the end zone. UCLA wore dark blue jerseys and silver helmets/pants in those days (Red Sanders initiated the powder blues 10+ years later), and Southern Cal wore white, as they often did even at home at the time.

Jerry Orbach aka Lenny Briscoe of Law And Order in it, too. *
by ArasEra  (2018-01-12 22:26:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nobody puts John Goldfarb in a corner *
by Father Nieuwland  (2018-01-13 11:53:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

An all-star cast
by Kayo  (2018-01-13 06:58:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It had a lot of noteworthy actors for such a bad movie. Some were young and willing to take just about any role, like Orbach (had a few small roles before John Goldfarb), James Brolin (also just getting started), and Teri Garr (essentially an extra who got individual camera time a few times) for a few of examples; but others were accomplished by then.

- Shirley MacLaine had three Academy Award nominations before John Goldfarb and had just starred opposite Paul Newman in What a Way to Go! followed by The Yellow Rolls-Royce with Ingrid Bergman, George C Scott, Omar Sharif, and other well known actors.

- Peter Ustinov had Oscars in hand for roles in Spartacus and Topkapi when he made John Goldfarb.

- Richard Crenna, a main character in The Real McCoys, starred with Audrey Hepburn in Wait Until Dark a year or two later

- Jim Backus had quality roles dating back to 1948 but was best known for being the voice of the most famous Rutgers alimnus of all time, Mr. Magoo. Magoo was high quality film making compared to John Goldfarb.

Fred Chark (well known as Harry Morton in the Burns and Allen show and later Mister Ed's neighbor); the aforementioned Harry Morgan aka Col. Potter (also Pete & Gladys, December Bride, and Dragnet), Richard Deacon (known as Mel Cooley in the Dick VanDyke show and Fred Rutherford in Leave it to Beaver), and Charles Lane (known for regular roles in The Lucy Show and Dennis the Menace to go with appearances in damned near every sitcom ever made) were among well known the TV actors in the movie.

Orbach made an even bigger impact on Broadway
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-01-13 11:29:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He had no shortage of on-screen roles, but he was nominated for multiple Tony Awards, and won one for "Promises, Promises." My best friend from high school got to do a scene with Orbach and Jesse L. Martin on a "Law & Order" episode, and has nothing but good things to say about both.

Another credit for Jim Backus - Thurston Howell lll * *
by 2ndstreeter  (2018-01-13 10:30:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mentioned 2 posts before mine
by Kayo  (2018-01-13 14:46:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I didn't feel the need to repeat it.

In the subject line, no less
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-01-13 14:53:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can always be counted on for references to low-brow TV shows popular with those of us who were kids in the 60s and 70s.