RIP Keith Jackson
by Irishdemon (2018-01-13 11:19:23)

He probably went to his grave still believing Rice stepped out.

Always enjoyed his work
by RJD  (2018-01-14 13:21:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I did not realize I was supposed to hate him until I found the Pub.

Agreed *
by 84LiIrish  (2018-01-14 19:14:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good to hear
by RJD  (2018-01-14 20:19:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Except for Lindsey Nelson and our hometown announcers, I never expected Network commentators to kiss our ass. Mostly because most did...Rick

Legend has it he could really clear out a room. Whoa Nellie! *
by Irishintheville  (2018-01-14 11:07:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Anyone remember "Stanford for the win"? *
by Hermes  (2018-01-14 05:14:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah. I'm convinced he was legitimately senile by then. *
by milhouse  (2018-01-14 11:34:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wasn't he like 104 years old when he called that game? *
by daviehamsufferer97  (2018-01-14 19:59:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Whole Lotta Head Crackin' Goin' On *
by irish3inaz  (2018-01-13 22:17:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tears
by Hanratty5ND  (2018-01-13 22:12:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of joy.

The same tears I had when it was announced that Bo had taken a dirt nap.

Did he actually literally die? *
by RocketShark  (2018-01-13 21:50:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's not only merely dead
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-01-13 22:17:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's really most sincerely dead.

Ding, Dong... *
by D8NDomer  (2018-01-14 07:13:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good *
by El Kabong  (2018-01-13 20:42:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This man, too, is precious in the eyes of the Lord.
by milhouse  (2018-01-14 11:34:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I struggle to remember that sometimes.

Parts of me agree. He hated on the school I love. *
by Tonybullets  (2018-01-14 11:01:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Christianity. Not as important as fandom, I always say. *
by Papa November  (2018-01-14 11:49:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

reminds me of a Ronnie Lott story:
by jt  (2018-01-14 15:15:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was mid-year 1981 and the Niners still hadn't shaken off their losing ways. Guys were milling about, not really getting organized and ready to play and Ronnie and a few other guys were chomping at the bit to get going so they could get on the field. It was nearly time to do the team prayer, but nobody was really ready to go. All of a sudden, Ronnie jumps up and yells something to the effect of "if you stupid motherfuckers don't get in here right now to say the mother-fucking Lord's prayer I am going to kill every single last one of you motherfuckers!"

Pretty sure Ronnie is big on saying some "F cancer" prayers while he is at mass.

I'm biased and perhaps even in the minority...
by Skip Encarnacion  (2018-01-14 21:24:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But the great Niner teams of the 80s would have smacked the shit out of the current Patriot dynasty. They were the greatest teams of all time.

To a man, I bet they gathered very quickly to prayer *
by Inigomontoya  (2018-01-14 18:30:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

absolutely everything about ronnie lott is awesome
by cujaysfan  (2018-01-14 16:15:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

except his choice of alma mater

the only guy that could calm Charles Haley down
by jt  (2018-01-14 21:46:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the biggest mistake Seifert ever made was putting Ronnie on plan B. Basically ended up having to trade Haley a year later.

Reminds me the Packers could have had him and blew it. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-01-14 21:19:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I believe he was a language major at Southern Cal *
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-01-14 16:55:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

glad to see he found practical application within his career *
by cujaysfan  (2018-01-14 16:58:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A bit much, don't you think?
by irisharab  (2018-01-14 10:57:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was sad when Dick Enberg died a few weeks ago. I wasn't sad when Keith Jackson passed away. I was never a fan, and I knew he didn't like ND much at all.

That said, I don't view his death as being "good." To me, the only deaths that are good are those of murderers, rapists, dictators, terrorists and others who have inflicted great pain on others. Sportscasters who don't like my alma mater don't fall into that category.

Thumbs up *
by 84LiIrish  (2018-01-14 19:20:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

👏 *
by Fifthhorseman  (2018-01-14 12:17:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And Jopa. Don’t forget jopa. *
by inigomontoya  (2018-01-14 11:51:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

well said *
by TommyZ  (2018-01-14 11:05:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is that really your final answer? *
by Papa November  (2018-01-14 10:37:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wrong
by widespread irish  (2018-01-14 10:18:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He definitely hated ND, but he was an icon. That voice, and Musberger essentially raised me on college football.

Looking at the current crap of personalities who cover college football, Jackson was authentic. To your point, I hated when he covered ND games because he had an anti ND bias, but he was still great at what he did.

Fortunately, Bo is still in hell.

Being ‘great’ should include not showing obvious
by MDDomer  (2018-01-14 10:28:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

bias doing your job. He failed miserably in that area,

At least when we knew Keith Jackson hated us,
by SWPaDem  (2018-01-14 10:36:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we knew we were somebody. I'm not sure we even register a strong dislike anymore.

It's not like he was JoePa or Dave Bliss *
by ndhouston  (2018-01-14 09:31:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He spent enough time kissing Paterno's flanks...
by BIGSKYND  (2018-01-14 10:49:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

one of Joepa's big time media enablers ("Joe and Sue Paterno yadda yadda yadda .."). And I want to hear no excuses for his anti-ND bias because of the tv contract.

That's a good point to keep in mind *
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-01-14 12:36:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And even if he were... *
by Papa November  (2018-01-14 10:38:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah, fair point
by ndhouston  (2018-01-14 10:55:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We should pray that everyone, even scoundrels, finds peaceful repose.

Since I came to ND fandom rather late - I had no direct connections to ND before attending - I've always found the whole "Keith Jackson hates Notre Dame" whining on the part of the Notre Dame fanbase to be completely ridiculous. So much so that if there were an "irrational ridiculousness" scale, Notre Dame fans' assessment of Jackson would land right next to Texas A&M's "little brother syndrome" in their hatred of the Texas Longhorns.

Jackson was the voice of college football for a couple of generations, and he deserves a fond sendoff, even from Notre Dame. In fact, maybe especially from Notre Dame, since he was probably more informed about Notre Dame's history than most Notre Dame fans.

He is as deserving of a ‘fond sendoff’ as was BS
by MDDomer  (2018-01-14 11:06:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not at all.

Zip

Curious as to why good? He was no jopa was he? so why good?
by inigomontoya  (2018-01-13 22:37:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can’t remember if he was a dick not, and what he did. I will reserve my prayers for the repose of his soul tomorrow at mass until I learn more.

"Good"? *
by 1NDGal  (2018-01-13 21:48:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Like Paul Harvey, one of the iconic voices of a century. *
by 88_92WSND  (2018-01-13 17:30:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We'll always have this call
by Chuck84  (2018-01-13 15:05:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Could you dig up that Michigan Appalachian State Loss?
by slats  (2018-01-14 02:21:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You put me in the mood for more tears in the Big House.

Ask and you shall receive ...
by ndhouston  (2018-01-14 09:34:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Big 10 Network broadcast starts with Lloyd Carr and Mike Hart "eyeing a national championship". Enjoy.

Hodamighty that was Good!
by slats  (2018-01-14 17:03:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Speed kills! And The Boys from Boone N.C. (ground zero for fly rod trout fishing) were loaded with it. Great shots of tear-soaked Walmart Wolverines.
Only thing missing was LLoyd Carr sneering after the game while wondering how he was going to explain it to Bo.

Guy who blocked the FG married Billy Graham's granddaughter.
by domer4  (2018-01-14 18:14:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's one way to get the attention of North Carolina royalty.

Simply Glorious. *
by TripleDomer  (2018-01-14 14:49:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rae Carruth jumping around like he was just granted parole
by jt  (2018-01-13 21:19:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

oh, did I say that out loud?

(#21, by the way)

That ball went >70 yards in the air. Wow. *
by Wooderson  (2018-01-13 21:16:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kordell Stewart was a freakish athlete. *
by irishhawk49  (2018-01-13 21:41:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of your best posts ever *
by Oldtownirish  (2018-01-13 19:27:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of my favorite non-ND games ever
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-01-13 15:25:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I saw the end at the old ND Faculty Club (RIP) as my dad and I tried to dry off from the torrential downpour during that day's ND-Purdue game. Note how the Michigan scoreboard did not reflect the winning Colorado TD more than 30 seconds after it was scored. (There was no replay review in those days.)

Similar
by Chuck84  (2018-01-13 16:30:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had just left our tailgater near Senior Bar wanting to go dry off after the PU game. The last I had heard is that Michigan was up 12 points with about five minutes to go. I had pretty well written off any hope.

Then I jumped in my car and began heading home. I tuned in Jeff Jeffers' postgame show. He was recapping not only our game, but Miami's first home loss (to Washington) in nine years. Jeffers then mentioned that Colorado was down five, but with under a minute to go.

Minutes later, a listener called in and, while on the air, shouted to Jeffers, "Man did you just see that ending to the Michigan game? Wow."

I knew it had to be something good.

bailed early on my cousin's lame wedding reception
by cujaysfan  (2018-01-13 19:38:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and ended up with some college buddies at the cherry cricket

the writing was on the wall and we were finishing up and gonna get the tab when my brother said something like "only flutie can save 'em now"

i've never seen so many full pitchers of beer appear out of no where on a table

we immediately rallied and went late into the night

it might be the only useful moment in Buff football history

Your last sentence is spot-on
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-01-13 20:39:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Their one half-championship was gifted to them by the refs, against ND, Missouri, and Stanford.

I hope the refs didn't let it get them down, down, down,
by jt  (2018-01-13 21:20:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

down, down.

I liked his 1st. *
by cj  (2018-01-13 21:04:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Better than App St 2007? MSU 2015?
by domer4  (2018-01-13 15:40:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rank your favorite non-ND Big House game ending play.

I will assume this is your favorite Keith Jackson game ending ND at Michigan call ("somebody over the top!!")

"Good gracious alive!" *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-01-14 01:33:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like the fumbled punt-MSU TD on the last play game *
by drmurray  (2018-01-13 15:45:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hot Hot Hot
by ndhouston  (2018-01-13 15:42:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He got to watch us win in the last ND game he called.
by RallyingSon  (2018-01-13 14:45:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"For the win!"

"Did he actually, literally spike it?"

Shame.

"He can flat fly" *
by Pat85  (2018-01-13 14:21:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You let ‘em hang around and hang around
by IrishLep  (2018-01-13 13:54:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And they don’t want the diamonds. They don’t want to ruby’s. They want the family jewels

When a runner loses the ball, it's his voice I hear...
by jrdjr84  (2018-01-13 13:49:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

FUMBLLLLLLLE!

Battle between the "Big Uglies" will determine the Outcome! *
by Jammer  (2018-01-13 13:31:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And he blew the call of Rice's TD run in that game.
by Fresno Mike  (2018-01-13 13:23:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was almost like he wasn't watching Tony's run until he stepped into the end zone.

Did he actually, literally spike it? *
by Tdiddy07  (2018-01-13 13:02:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What game was that?
by Bill_brasky  (2018-01-13 16:51:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember him saying that but don't remember the circumstance.

2005 Stanford
by gordonbombay  (2018-01-13 23:23:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Context is for some crazy reason he thought a spike was a deflected pass, and Dan Fouts corrected him.

At the very end of the linked video (link)
by RallyingSon  (2018-01-15 11:43:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They call him Rocket, and you just saw why.
by fuzzy patters  (2018-01-13 12:31:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was a crotchety old ND hater, but he had a lot of memorable calls in ND games.

Followed up by "Give him the rest of the day off, Lou"
by domer4  (2018-01-13 13:03:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Of course Keith wanted Rocket out of the game, otherwise Michigan was never going to be able to catch up.

“Once you give him that much daylight it’s over.”
by NW Ohio Irish  (2018-01-13 14:26:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Michigan had just got back to within 5 points in the 4th and Rocket just ripped the heart out of every skunkbear fan.

A smooth voice that always had a nasty jagged edge to it *
by Frank Drebin  (2018-01-13 12:27:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So is a stadium "moment of silence" at hand again? *
by domer4  (2018-01-13 12:22:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

keith was a 70th season soph-o-more
by cujaysfan  (2018-01-13 12:10:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

enberg and keith gone

and somehow scotch soaked brent is sitting at a craps table in biloxi on a 38 hour bender

One memory: Rice was never close to stepping out of the EZ *
by NDbias  (2018-01-13 12:00:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just re-watched that play. Not even remotely close. *
by ND44  (2018-01-13 12:15:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“He’s two yards inside.” Griese at 12:06 mark.
by John88  (2018-01-13 13:11:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Keith was looking at the line on the end zone graphic.

Here it is -- actually, it could've been a 99-yard TD
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-01-13 12:17:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

had Rice not slightly underthrown The Rocket. (It won't let me embed, so here's the link.)

Jeez, Jackson was incredulous.
by Irishdemon  (2018-01-13 19:50:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was still talking about it five minutes later. Finally the truck dialed up the replay with Bob Griese trying to politely point out his mistake and Jackson still didn't want to hear it - immediately blaming the official again (12:10 mark).

He clearly stepped on the line.
by Revue Party  (2018-01-13 13:34:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The red one. Not the out of bounds one.

Keith was just hoping.

The way I saw it
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-01-13 14:51:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he was just old. And he didn't retire for another 18 years.

You're probably right.
by Revue Party  (2018-01-13 17:52:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As usual.

"He... is... gone."
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-01-13 11:57:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That can now be put on his tombstone. Rest in peace.

I didn't realize his last call was 12 years ago.

Like him or not, his voice took me back to my childhood.
by John88  (2018-01-13 11:56:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

RIP

I don't understand the "hate" for him
by irishrock  (2018-01-13 17:05:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was big time college football and you knew it when he had your game. So he wasn't a shrill for ND...I saw a cool video of him in '77 saying wonderful things

From '86 on, he hated ND *
by Oldtownirish  (2018-01-13 23:06:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just because
by D8NDomer  (2018-01-13 20:20:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

one doesn't think he was a goat, doesn't mean hate for him. He was a good announcer, just not he best. If you never heard previous announcers he will seem to be the best. Or, what does an elephant look like to a blind man?

He said nice things about ND at USC '77 rally...
by Scoop80  (2018-01-13 11:55:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was there, and he, Digger, and Willie Fry were highlights of the show. If Jackson said much positive about ND in ensuing 40 years, I can't recall it. He was basically anti-ND after the NBC contract in '91.

Mark Giangreco did once upon a time too *
by El Kabong  (2018-01-13 20:43:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The last game he called from Notre Dame Stadium was in 1986
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-01-13 11:59:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(ND narrowly losing to Penn State). ND was the only college football team not to be part of the ABC-TV contract from 1991-1995, before CBS got the SEC contract and, more briefly, the Big East. I'm sure Jackson resented that.

Agree. He seemed to support or at least respect ND until
by drmurray  (2018-01-13 12:36:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the TV contract thing. Then he definitely soured against us and hid his bias poorly.

Think break was CFA contract .ca 1986 *
by Oldtownirish  (2018-01-13 13:50:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I doubt that would've caused Jackson to sour on ND
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-01-13 15:23:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as opposed to the 60-some other CFA schools.

ABC had an NCAA TV monopoly from 1966-1981. ABC and CBS shared the NCAA contract from 1982-1983 (TBS had a "supplemental" contract of night games, initially limited to teams that hadn't been on national TV the preceding year).

The Supreme Court voided the NCAA TV deals in 1984 on antitrust grounds. From 1984-1986, ABC had the CFA contract, while CBS had contracts with the Big Ten, Pac-10, ACC, Army, Navy, and Miami (an independent at the time, but for some reason not a CFA member). From 1987-1990, the CFA contract flipped to CBS (which retained the ACC, Army-Navy, and Miami deals), and the Big Ten and Pac-10 to ABC.

For 1991-1995, ABC signed contracts with the CFA (which I think now included Miami, as a Big East member) and the Big Ten and Pac-10. This threatened to -- and did -- diminish the number of college football games on national network TV. CBS had mostly aired national games when it had the CFA contract, although it had occasional regional telecasts. By comparison, when ABC had the Big Ten and Pac-10 together, it usually showed those games regionally, with a few exceptions (usually in September and late November). But with all major college football schools tied to ABC, there were many weeks without a single national network telecast. That certainly did not make me happy, and it apparently was one of the features that prompted ND to bolt away from the CFA and cut its own deal with NBC.

ND basically became an outcast in the college football world at that point. Kansas even cancelled a basketball series in protest, while many coaches (most notably Paterno) and commentators ripped ND. I believe this was a major reason why ND lost the poll votes for the 1993 national championship to a Florida State team ND had decisively beaten in November.

But this anti-ND stance hardly was a principled one. When the ABC deal expired in 1995, the SEC and Big East bolted to CBS, which prompted the CFA to dissolve in 1997. From that point on, every conference negotiated for itself. I believe the supremacy of conferences in college football has hurt ND, perhaps as much as our own institutional incompetence.

He definitely soured after the NBC deal
by weirdo0521  (2018-01-13 16:46:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and said as much on the record. He didn't think it was good for college football. It also kept him from calling a lot of good games.

It was obviously great for ND at the time
by Bluengold07  (2018-01-14 15:40:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Had ND stuck with the CFA in 91, probably 70% of their home games would have been regional. And probably to small markets because they would have been competing with Big 10 games in the same slot.

It also took him disturbingly long to realize
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-01-13 11:48:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that a Rodney Peete pass was not incomplete, but had been intercepted by Stan Smagala for a pick-6. That play put ND up 20-7 at halftime and turned out to basically ice the game.

My favorite Jackson call was not from a game, but this commercial.

Whoa Nellie! *
by PabloFanque  (2018-01-13 11:22:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember when Jackson made a point to clarify
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-01-13 11:23:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that Nellie was not his wife's name.