Interesting new complaint about the Jacktron
by Burvey (2018-01-15 13:29:39)

A 1988 grad wrote a letter to the editor in the new ND Magazine complaining about the jacktron. In addition to the common complaints (too loud), she was upset that the content was too one-sided in favor of ND and therefore "too unwelcoming for our guests". And she was embarrassed for the USC "guests" sitting next to her.
I always thought the goal was to ruin our guests' day by kicking the crap out of their team (especially Southern Cal). But then again, Brian Kelly has often been very welcoming to our guests with his coaching decisions.

Talking about creating a hostile house
by ndbilly  (2018-01-15 22:38:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was the 88 game with Miami. The last play with the Cane's going for 2, of which I admired. Everyone was standing, I mean everyone with the exception of 2 Cane's fans right behind me. They asked me to sit so they could see. Ummmmm the guy next to me sad, this is fucking ND, our house not yours. Go home Criminals !!!!

End of story. Thank you Pat Terrell

Here's how my LSU buddy explains this phenomenon
by ndzippy  (2018-01-15 18:22:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(He attended ND for his MBA)

"At ND, it seems like the goal is to make sure opposing fans feel welcome. So they tell everybody they meet how awesome their experience was."

"At LSU, our goal is to make sure opposing fans never want to step foot in the stadium again."

If those were my only choices, I'd choose the latter. Even at ND.

I will never forget the very drunk, ugly and fat ND female
by Boomer80  (2018-01-15 17:29:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

who verbally assaulted a nice, quiet Michigan couple trying to get back to their car in the tailgate parking lot after ND had smacked down a favored Michigan team in what I believe was 2004. Dropping f-bombs and spewing vulgarity. We were so embarassed we immediately apologized to them. Gads, I associated people like that with Purdue or maybe Ohio State! In contrast, I must say I have always had very positive experiences with Alabama fans, and also Texas A&M fans. They may be blow hards but are generally civilized, and make me think well of their schools. I want opposing fans to tell their friends that the ND crowd is a classy bunch, but are we?

Becky Loy is not a ND fan. *
by Leeroy_Jenkins  (2018-01-16 15:12:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gads! *
by golfjunkie17  (2018-01-16 11:08:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hell, in Ann Arbor they have a name for a woman like that.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2018-01-15 21:43:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“Mom.”

Dean? *
by Notra_Dahm  (2018-01-16 19:50:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe she was just on a rampage.
by captaineclectic  (2018-01-15 19:26:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe it was justified. They were Michigan fans and your story doesn't involve killing their dogs.

Hope you slapped “Michigan Sucks” sticker on couple’s car
by Frank Drebin  (2018-01-15 19:15:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It would have been a nice passive/aggressive act on your part

This story is clearly bullshit. There’s no such thing as
by GoldenBlues  (2018-01-15 19:04:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

quiet, nice Michigan fans.

Michigan fans were pretty quiet after that game. Ok,
by Boomer80  (2018-01-15 19:58:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

benefit of the doubt on "nice". Looked like a middle aged couple just trying to get out of Dodge...

It was probably a nun. They occasionally come to games and
by Irish7478  (2018-01-15 18:44:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Without doubt, once they get drunk, they are incredibly obnoxious. Especially when we are playing a Big Ten team. For some reason nuns hate the Big Ten.

*Highlight poster *
by NGIrish09  (2018-01-15 23:13:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My, how do you live with the shame by association? *
by garbageplate  (2018-01-15 17:59:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What does this have to do with the letter?
by tdiddy07  (2018-01-15 17:41:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You saw someone be a bastard once. Who hasn't? That clearly doesn't broadly reflect on visiting fans' experiences. And it has little to do with the letter's complaint that the jumbotron doesn't make visitors feel like they have a safe space.

Wrong.
by Bruno95  (2018-01-15 18:22:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He saw a fat, ugly woman be unclassy.

Just stating the facts. *
by Boomer80  (2018-01-15 20:01:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The ironic juxtaposition of your ultimate sentence and...
by Giggity_Giggity  (2018-01-15 17:33:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...your subject line is really something.

You know damned well that behavior is only bad
by Papa November  (2018-01-15 18:39:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when the agent of that behavior is physically unattractive.

You handsome devil.

ND is the Make-A-Wish place for teams needing a win *
by Frank Drebin  (2018-01-15 17:26:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This needs to be a shirt or bumper sticker! *
by Polishhammer83  (2018-01-18 07:40:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Enjoy College Football Disneyland before and after the game
by JClarke  (2018-01-15 17:20:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

During? No mercy.

There's a very important distinction between
by Chuck84  (2018-01-15 17:00:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

being clever and intimidating, and being just plain low rent.

This reply is less about the Oiriginal Post about the Tron and more about the proper environment for home games.

No one said we had to leave a mint on the pillow, but cramming the opposition into a tight tunnel, blasting the Tron so that the opposing band can't even play, having videos screaming at everyone how great we are ... those disgraces are among the latter. I care little about "one-sidedness", but about more about how our messages reflect on Notre Dame.

Ploys by the students such as those Kayo mentions, the Catholics vs Convicts T-shirts, etc. those are great because they come from heart of the student body.

The University should maintain a degree of diplomacy and respect toward our opponents while letting the kids be the kids. The students should be allowed to unleash hell so long as it doesn't devolve to outright obscenity or possible physical harm.

If the opposing band is SoCal's, play the JTron over them *
by classof69  (2018-01-16 12:12:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well said. *
by SBOG  (2018-01-16 07:22:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good post *
by RallyingSon  (2018-01-15 22:06:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I bet she is a barrel full of monkeys at a tailgate! *
by sempernd  (2018-01-15 16:45:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We've turned into pussies.
by Fresno Mike  (2018-01-15 16:40:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At least too many of us have.

Can you imagine this occuring at a place like Bama or OSU?
by GoldenBlues  (2018-01-15 16:58:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The depths of the fall continue to reach new lows.

I hope she shared her juice box and orange slices with the
by IAND75  (2018-01-15 16:00:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Southern Cal fans sitting next to her.

though the tone of that letter is so lame, she's not wrong
by ndlarryj  (2018-01-15 15:54:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it is a nonstop infomercial jerkoff sesh. it's not embarrassing *for* them, it is embarrassing to be *witnessed by* opposing team fans

I agree
by MrBeef  (2018-01-15 16:08:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I only went to the Georgia game but it was silly the way we constantly praised ourselves on the 'tron.

Insecurity..... *
by cj  (2018-01-15 16:12:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Either Irish Catholic insecurity or the need to constantly
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-01-15 20:11:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

hand out awards, ribbons, and participation trophies.

Just one more reason to show the gibbon video *
by Santos L Halper  (2018-01-15 15:53:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's not 1988 anymore
by mintirish  (2018-01-15 15:48:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

since jt missed his chance earlier in the thread

I suspect this is planted by the folks
by chicos bail bonds  (2018-01-15 15:23:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

who believe that is how the jacktron should be used. It's just a continuation of the whole "welcome to Notre Dame" concept. Somehow, the dynamic has shifted that creating a good experience is supposed to mean that everyone feels all warm inside like they got a great big hug from Notre Dame. I thought a good experience was that ND fans felt pride and satisfaction from showing other teams that we could kick their ass and not feel bad about it. Somehow, the people running the show feel like the experience is supposed to be something different these days.

If ND fan attendance is down
by Irishlawyer  (2018-01-15 15:38:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

maybe the administration can get visitor fan attendance up!

It worked in the Georgia game! *
by Fuzzy Patters  (2018-01-16 16:48:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The author badly needs to see "Darkest Hour".
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-01-15 15:08:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"...we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender..."

Churchill post of Mr. Chesterton
by Willylumplump  (2018-01-15 16:41:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She may object that Mr. Churchill's post is too threatening, macho, and anti-nazi. She may need a safe space.

I don't know how she would have coped in 1973
by Kayo  (2018-01-15 14:56:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We welcomed USC by taping pictures of Anthony Davis to the sidewalks during USC week so students could stomp on them as we walked the quads. We actually were queuing up single file so everyone could take a turn.

That's what I consider proper welcoming.

I have a Tommy Trojan welcome mat
by ndalum88  (2018-01-15 16:26:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unfortunately, it seems to be packed away still in an unidentified box from our move 2 years ago. It used to be accompanied throughout football season with a sign on the front door encouraging guests to thoroughly clean their shoes on the mat provided prior to entering the house. I suppose it's possible that in packing for the move, my wife decided it was too tattered and smeared with too many foreign substances (it got to the point where when people would come to watch games, they would find all sorts of substances to deliberately leave on the mat) to include in the move and she just can't bring herself to tell me.

We did the same with Leinart and Bush (and OJ) in '05 *
by NGIrish09  (2018-01-15 15:50:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I envision something similar to this scene:
by jt  (2018-01-15 15:10:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Heavens to Betsy! How gauche!" *
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-01-15 14:58:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Letter writer was an MS '88. Discuss. *
by Dude87  (2018-01-15 14:24:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Masters in Sissification *
by frickerdog  (2018-01-15 14:33:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Crap - I'm an 88 Grad
by ndalum88  (2018-01-15 13:52:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Now I have to look this up. Wow. Didn't think we had many like that in my class. I'll have to pull out my old dogbook and see if she's crossed out.

I've got some bad news for you
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-01-15 14:39:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are a few of those in every class. At least during the 80s, there were. They hardly dominated my class (1986), but they were there.