I went to the '66 game with a bunch of guys from my class.
by BeijingIrish (2018-01-15 15:32:05)

In reply to: I got just a whiff of that WASPy privilege  posted by ShermanOaksND

After the game, we ran down to the field to meet one of the NW pom-pom girls. It was a pre-arranged meeting--I had called her a few days prior to the game. Judy had been my high school classmate, and we saw quite a bit of each other during the 4 years she was in Evanston and I was at ND. I often went to Chicago for weekends. I stayed with my grandmother who lived in Evanston, and Judy would fix me up with her sorority sisters.

Anyway, Judy invited us to a frat/sorority party that evening. We agreed that we would meet at the venue, an apartment on Belmont. Suffice to say, we were not exactly welcomed, at least by the men at the party. I've never encountered a bigger bunch of assholes. I think they resented us because the women were quite attracted to us. I don't know what it was. Perhaps it was because we were so devastatingly handsome. Or maybe it was because we were exotic--real, live Catholics with strange surnames, names with lots of consonants. We didn't stay long--we grabbed the women we'd hooked up with and went a short distance to some bar on Clark. We had a ball.