SI's Best Games of Every Week of the 2018 Season
by G.K.Chesterton (2018-01-15 21:09:42)

Michigan-Notre Dame is considered the best of Week 1 but most of their ink is spilled on Michigan. After that, our games with Stanford, Virginia Tech, Florida State (SI somehow forgets about the 2011 and 2014 games), and USC get honorable mentions but very little said about ND otherwise.

Side note: I didn't realize Holtz finished 1-2 against FSU. Kelly is 0-2.

Holtz lost a "closer than expected" game in 1994.
by MNND  (2018-01-16 09:04:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think that game was played in Orlando, and you probably remember that team (that was the year I wondered how long Holtz had left, especially after getting waxed by Colorado in the Fiesta bowl - undeserving though we were). We played FSU again after the 1995 season, maybe in the Orange Bowl?? It was another really close game, but we came up short.

94 game was in Orlando. I was stationed there and attended. *
by John88  (2018-01-16 16:51:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, those were the 2 losses
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-01-16 10:19:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We were pretty big underdogs in 1994 at Orlando (Vegas adored FSU in those days), but FSU didn't get the winning TD until the 4th quarter. In the 1996 Orange Bowl, we led 26-14 in the 4th but lost 31-26. Tom Krug was at QB, after Ron Powlus was lost for the season with a broken arm against Navy. Unfortunately, it would be Krug's final game; a rare congenital defect in his neck caused him to retire prematurely.

I remember only two plays total from those 2 games
by Hanratty5ND  (2018-01-16 10:27:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1994-- Bobby Taylor with the strip sack /fumble return for a TD. That was a big league play.

1995 Bowl Game--ND getting called for a safety when Krug was called for Intentional Grounding trying to throw out of his own EZ. I thought that was a bogus call--game over.

1995 Bowl game--the blarney offense
by jt  (2018-01-16 18:43:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we ran all over them in the first quarter with weird formations/plays/etc.

I also remember Derrick Mayes making an unbelievable catch in the end zone in at least double and possibly triple coverage.

I remember one thing about the 1994 game
by domer4  (2018-01-16 13:29:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think we had just tied it up 16-16 and was going for the extra point and the lead.

We missed it, and they show Lou just dropping his cap on the field with a look of "can't anything go right this year?"

The kicking game was really bad that year, and in 1996
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-01-16 14:14:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Against Southern Cal, ND led 17-10 in the fourth quarter, and lined up for a field goal that would've sealed a 12th straight win in the series. Instead, Southern Cal blocked the kick and returned it deep into ND territory. They later scored a TD and tied the game at 17, which ended up being the final score. It was the last tie in ND history.

Two years later, a missed extra point left ND ahead of USC 20-12 instead of 21-12. USC scored a TD and made a 2-point conversion to tie the game at 20, and then won it in OT to end ND's 13-game unbeaten streak in the series.