Charlie Jr. is Kiffin's new OC at FAU. *
by Irishdemon (2018-01-17 10:09:32)

This user did not provide content for this post

Good for him
by Lazarus  (2018-01-17 23:23:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's not the first ND coach's son to follow this path (Skip Holtz?) and won't be the last. Imagine the vitriol he witnessed against his dad, yet he still chose this career. I hope he is successful.

Me too. *
by Moff  (2018-01-18 19:57:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He is trying to find the next Joey Freshwater *
by Shifty  (2018-01-17 22:40:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pops is very shrewd at figuring out how to profit from the..
by Scoop80  (2018-01-17 21:36:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

coaching gig.

The Weis family has covered every university from which I.ever obtained credits. I have 6 FAU credits on my ND transcript, and pops was OC for 1 year at my law school alma mater.

Thats a decent job. Having contacts obviously doesn't hurt.
by ProV1x  (2018-01-17 19:11:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Like Petrino has a son and two sons in law on his Card staff.

Anyone have a rough idea what a job like OC at FAU pays? *
by Inigomontoya  (2018-01-17 19:15:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Chris Kiffin is the only FAU assistant I found in linked
by irishhawk49  (2018-01-17 19:40:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

article/table. He got $300K (325th). I would guess he is DC. CW Jr is probably getting similar $. On the other hand, when Weis left FAU last year, he was only getting 50K as tight end coach.

[Link already posted elsewhere]

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

$350K for Briles, according to USA Today
by LastDon  (2018-01-17 19:37:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The article was linked here as part of an earlier conversation.

Is he aloud? *
by drmurray  (2018-01-17 16:18:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He needs a dedicated snot-wiper
by notredomer2005  (2018-01-17 14:10:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Never figured out why Chuck senior just let that shit flow right down the mustache line into his mouth. Sideline class times 1000.

Fifty bucks the Weis kid picks his nose. Fifty bucks more
by ArasEra  (2018-01-17 18:26:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

says he eats it.

I thought it was foam from his mouth, like he was hungry. *
by ND44  (2018-01-17 15:15:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Football coaching is a strange world
by bmoreirish  (2018-01-17 13:58:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's odd that people get hired to teach a skill that they themselves never possessed. I guess it does give some credence to the armchair QB who claims he can call better plays on a video game.

I guess it happens in basketball, too. Much less so in baseball.

Also golf. Good teachers aren't necessarily great players *
by BigEND  (2018-01-17 14:01:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Todd Haley played golf in college.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2018-01-17 16:46:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That, of course, made him eminently qualified to coach football.

Or not...

He did just put up 42 points in the playoffs.
by tdiddy07  (2018-01-17 16:53:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the Steelers' best regular season record under Tomlin. And had the best offensive run for the Steelers in decades.

And he took over a 2 win Chiefs team and then won 4 and 10 (thanks in large part to Weis) before being fired at 5-8 midway through a 7-9 campaign.

And his Cardinals offense was stellar. So yes, I'd say he's a pretty good football coach.

He wasn't canned because he couldn't run an offense
by steelhop  (2018-01-18 08:53:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In a sport filled with raging assholes, he stood out as a huge asshole. He was also fired for off field reasons. The final nail in the coffin was him breaking his hip after getting in a fight on NYE. The Rooney's were done dealing with his crap.

It was stellar but had mind numbingly bad decisions. I knew the Steelers were in trouble the minute he opened up the 1st offensive series in empty backfield. I turned to my friend and said "didn't he learn anything from the last meeting."

Yet another Jerseyan leaves for Florida *
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2018-01-17 13:20:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

clearly something that he's earned through years of hard
by jt  (2018-01-17 13:03:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

work and dedication to the game, putting his time in at the lower levels of the game, and years of experience playing and coaching.

But why would Kiffin do this unless he thought the kid was
by VaDblDmr  (2018-01-17 20:26:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

really the best choice? I'm guessing Charlie doesn't have naked photos of Lane . . . .

Can't blame either Charlie Senior or Junior
by jbrown_9999  (2018-01-17 14:21:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I helped launch my kids' careers by having them work part-time for my company to gain experience and then using my contacts to get them really good jobs. As a result, they leapfrogged most of their peers career-wise.

Charlie Sr. just did the same thing for his son. Without knowing any details, I would guess that Monte Kiffin did the same for Lane as well.

Before folks start to throw empties, just commenting that a parent wanting to help his kid is a natural thing no matter what.

Agreed. *
by Vairish84  (2018-01-17 19:30:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kiffin at least played the game
by jt  (2018-01-17 15:39:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

all through high school and then at Fresno State.

Charlie, Jr couldn't even be bothered.

St. Joe made the state championship game....
by supernd  (2018-01-17 20:20:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember watching it on TV. There was Jr. On the sidelines carrying a clipboard. At least he didn't have a headset on. Honestly, I don't know he can coach kids at the D1 level and get on them and have their respect.

Weis family has really struggled finding coaching jobs
by BuckeyeJohn05  (2018-01-17 13:52:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Happy to see some good fortune come their way.

He’s spent his whole life taking mental reps.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2018-01-17 13:38:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Developing his football IQ while avoiding concussions. He’s ready for this.

Oh yes, the tutelage he’s received is titanic. He can call
by Inigomontoya  (2018-01-17 13:45:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Senior for tips. This is a 2 for 1 deal.

and by 2 for 1, I assume you're referring to the multiple
by jt  (2018-01-17 13:48:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jimmy John's orders with extra roast beef and extra mayo.

Of course. So...Junior was with the ATL Falcons and the
by Inigomontoya  (2018-01-17 15:56:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

falcons offense was crap this year. Was it truly Sarkisian causing the anemic offense or actually Junior behind the misery?

How this kid at 24is named an OC is silly. Goes to bama. Meets Kiffin. Kiffin leaves. Sark shows up in bama meets junior.

Sark goes to Atlanta and Junior follows.

Kiffin hires him away to an OC role.

This is Kiffin not wanting to be threatened by someone experienced.

And junior being Peter of the Peter Principle.

Weis sr. should never been a head coach.

You talking about Chaz or Lane? *
by Porpoiseboy  (2018-01-17 13:21:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is this the ballad of Chazzy Lane? *
by cujaysfan  (2018-01-18 11:20:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

both *
by jt  (2018-01-17 13:47:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well, neither one of them can hold a candle to Joe Buck!
by Porpoiseboy  (2018-01-17 13:48:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think NDNation, as an entitled fan base, should transition its loyalty to FAU. I really think it would teach us an appreciation for stuff. Corporate greed!

when you have a long and distinguished playing career
by cujaysfan  (2018-01-17 13:17:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to draw from - who needs extensive time paying your dues?

Get your yucks in now jt *
by MR_IRISH  (2018-01-17 13:11:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hopefully he has some "big muchachos" blocking for his QB *
by dwjm3  (2018-01-17 13:01:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He’s going to pound it. *
by kennesawMtIrish  (2018-01-18 21:32:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good for him.
by IAND75  (2018-01-17 12:02:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He has a rather large shadow to get out from under.

He must have some ability. I hope he does well.

Seconded. *
by rockmcd  (2018-01-17 13:52:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

faster career rise than Tom Rees *
by Vairish84  (2018-01-17 12:01:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sounds right
by molecular  (2018-01-17 12:54:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Remember that Tom Rees is so slow that he couldn't outrun a South Bend cop.......

will CW sr start calling FAU administrators
by cujaysfan  (2018-01-17 11:29:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and berating them to make chaz jr head coach?

Decided schematic advantage *
by ocnd  (2018-01-17 10:55:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Decided genetic advantage *
by Exit77  (2018-01-17 11:14:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

hopefully the local Jimmy John's is prepared
by jt  (2018-01-17 13:06:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

time to stock up on the roast beef and mayonnaise.

Cue in dueling banjos *
by Frank Drebin  (2018-01-17 11:28:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kiffin is trolling us. *
by The Holtz Room  (2018-01-17 10:38:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On the shortlist to replace Kelly *
by rpm04  (2018-01-17 10:20:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"I know one place he won't be going"
by irishrock  (2018-01-17 10:21:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

whoosh
big muchachos
arrow pointing up
you are what you are
9-3 isn't good enough
tradition never graduates

I'm still getting my yuks in *
by NDEE01  (2018-01-17 10:31:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pass the cheeseburgers *
by Exit77  (2018-01-17 11:15:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s gonna be One rocked up unit. *
by The Beef  (2018-01-17 12:08:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

*Cranked up *
by MrBeef  (2018-01-17 12:42:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Whoosh *
by KeoughCharles05  (2018-01-17 13:02:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Different reference
by MrBeef  (2018-01-17 13:22:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There was a player-initiated "crank me up! crank me up!" chant during the Weis era that caught on with the students, complete with the flexed arm motion. Those were dark times.

by KeoughCharles05  (2018-01-17 17:27:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was adding in the Munir Prince line.