How do we recruit better on the defensive line?
by JBrock18 (2018-01-18 11:37:11)

I know we have the Ademilola brothers coming in and Franklin as well but it simply isn’t good enough. In order to start playing elite defense ND is going to have to start getting not only really good talent on the defensive line but a lot of it.

Alabama has 6 players in the top 40 for DT or DE coming in this year. Clemson has 4. Penn State and Ohio State have a great group at those positions coming in as well. What needs to change to start stockpiling big time players on the defensive front?

Have them get better grades, so they are eligible at ND. *
by touchdown97  (2018-01-19 15:57:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ewell, MTA, Hinish, Ademilola, Franklin, Lacey
by SEE  (2018-01-18 13:19:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's probably as good as ND has done on the interior in a very long time. Misses over the past few years created gaps.

Yet not even close to the schools I mentioned
by JBrock18  (2018-01-18 16:20:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We have to get better players and more depth. The drop off between our starters and the guys that spell them are huge.

No one else is. You picked the schools that were
by SEE  (2018-01-18 16:43:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the top at that position.

I don't dispute your conclusion at all.

I mean there are a lot of schools ahead
by JBrock18  (2018-01-18 18:05:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s where ND must get to in order to have a consistently good defense. It starts up front. We simply do not get the horses. Georgia, Clemson, Bama, Auburn, OSU, LSU, PSU, OU, the list isn’t short . They are getting more high end interior DL and pass rushers on the outside. Not only do they get more talent they get more talented depth. These types of players at those positions are key to going in the road and winning against good teams. If you can control the line of scrimmage and cause problems for the opponents offense you can stay in almost any game, regardless of how dumb your offense is or how bad your QB sucks. A dominant defensive line will prevent embarrassments like Miami this year.

Last year’s DT rankings (link)
by SEE  (2018-01-18 23:11:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The year before that we landed one 5-star, two 4-star and one 3-star DEs. That was a top 5 DE haul.

It certainly has to improve and be more consistent, but we have more 4-stars on the DL than I can remember in recent history.

5-Star 1
4-Star 6
3-Star 6

Assuming the current standard is that ND shoud annually rank
by EFH4ND  (2018-01-18 17:24:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

among the top 10 in recruiting and on-the-field performance - meaning a 10 win season, New Years Day bowl, etc., the question is: Can ND elevate all aspects of the program performance to compete at the highest level in talent recruitment, and - with suitable coaching - translate that to a Top 5 program that routinely makes the playoffs and competes for the national championship. (An analogy: If ND is currently analogous to Georgia under Coach Mark Richt, can it become UGA under Coach Kirby Smart?)

While the gap for ND to cross to compete at the highest level doesn't appear that significant, I believe (under current admin practices and beliefs/Coach Kelly's limitations aside) this gap is insurmountable.

I also don't think Alabama, Clemson and Oklahoma are permanent members of this elite group; they are coach/AD-dependent. But each school has demonstrated an institutional commitment and academic flexibility to accommodate any players (mostly drawn from local talent) that are necessary for the necessary arms/talent race. An aside, I believe Florida, FSU, Georgia, OSU, Penn State, Texas, and USC are better positioned (institutionally and regionally) to be more routine residents of this top tier.

The question returns to ND leadership: Does ND want to commit itself to the steps (with respect to academic, athletic and lifestyle leniency) necessary to foster the talent required to routinely compete at the highest level?

I'm not sure the members of this board would really want to see/experience ND go through that transition.

I don’t think Oklahoma was in that group. ND has
by SEE  (2018-01-18 18:27:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Recruited better than OU.

Mayfield was a 2*

None would crack a Clemson/OSU/ALA lineup
by Hanratty5ND  (2018-01-18 13:25:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah--ND is doing better.

But still a far cry from elite.

And this is based on what? Both Alabama and OSU
by KevinPS  (2018-01-18 13:41:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

pursued Ademilola ardently in the last cycle. Not sure of the others. Clemson has made hay for the last seven years with generally--generally--guys without five star ratings. At the end of the day, our DL coaches need to do a better job of developing the talent they get. Last year was a start, just a very late one.

Over sign the position relative to WR's and other positions *
by MR_IRISH  (2018-01-18 13:12:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Prioritize it and work harder *
by garbageplate  (2018-01-18 11:52:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post