Sobering recruiting fact — Kelly has underperformed
by Elgreco89 (2018-01-18 16:41:26)

He hasn’t been able to land elite recruits. Weis did far better.

He's been in the conversation with some elite recruits
by Groundhog  (2018-01-20 11:54:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What more can you ask for?

Hey, it's hard out there.
by farnsworth  (2018-01-19 19:21:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We're not the only team suffering. For the first time in a decade FSU might not get a 24/7 composite 5* recruit this year.

Petrino says you don't know just how hard it is out there.
by ProV1x  (2018-01-21 14:10:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Says he isn't the only coach trying to recruit Chaffey Junior College for soul speed.

And fund raising only makes it harder. *
by BeastOfBourbon  (2018-01-19 22:46:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s a crock of shit
by PortND  (2018-01-20 08:24:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just another BK excuse, he doesn’t do more than any other Coach and in fact has been reduced greatly since Weis. Several mods have confirmed this is no longer an issue. Reality is BK himself has chosen not to be an aggressive recruiter and it’s why we no longer land the elite top 50 type players because they require more effort from the HC. Hate CW all yo7 want but at least he didn’t get outworked on the recruiting trail.

Shirley you didn’t take me seriously.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2018-01-20 12:31:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Did you?

how many had offers
by touchdown97  (2018-01-19 15:55:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can you tell me how many of the top 40 had ND offers. Several top 40 prospects do not have the grades for ND, Stanford etc.

About 3/4 of the top 15 did when I checked in the summer.
by Tdiddy07  (2018-01-20 19:11:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And a couple without offers were QBs we probably never pursued because of our early Jurkovec commitment and one guy with an offer from a smart school.

That may not reflect the whole top 40. But I’d guess that’s probably typical.

As he mentioned, Weis managed just fine
by dulacshakur  (2018-01-19 16:50:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...despite the recruiting restrictions. We're always going to have recruiting restrictions; we did in the 1980s and 1990s, and we do today. Nothing has changed except Brian Kelly's inability to attract top recruits despite winning at a higher rate than his objectively incompetent predecessors.

The primary issue is many kids don't want to play for a coach who's known for screaming himself purple at his players -- and cavalierly tossing them under the bus to the media -- and winning eight games a year while utilizing an inflexible and ineffective offensive system and operating a virtual carousel at defensive coordinator.

Weis had at least coached and made a name for himself in the NFL, something Kelly can only dream about.

Stanford had 4 just last year. Plus 1 in '16, 1 in '14.
by SavageDragon  (2018-01-19 16:42:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You're not wrong, but that doesn't mean that we only got 1 in the last 5 years because we could only offer that one. Not even close.

I look at Ben Davis from AL as an example.
by MobileIrish  (2018-01-19 17:36:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Autry Denson worked really hard to get Davis. He was a 5 Star LB (#10 overall player in the 2016 class).

He is from Alabama and his dad is a former AL player. I don’t remember all of the schools involved, but both ND and AL were involved. Of course Davis announced on Signing Day that he was going to AL. Davis redshirted in 2016. I am not sure how much he played this past season.

This was a kid that ND spent a lot of time recruiting. Unfortunately, I just don’t see Kelly ever winning battles against Saban.

There is plenty of talent at ND. However, if you don’t have the top 40 difference making players, the coaching staff has to be top notch. I think we know where Kelly ranks with other coaches in this regard.

Weis understood Notre Dame.
by Revue Party  (2018-01-19 10:06:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After 8 years, Kelly seems no closer to understanding it than when he started. That's probably why he's been so hellbent into turning it into something else.

Despite his lack of head coaching skill and boorish behavior, I think Weis could authentically sell Notre Dame to an elite athlete. I suspect Kelly comes across more like a run of the mill politician promising that Progress is his middle name.

Weis may have understood ND
by Camarillo Brillo  (2018-01-20 19:11:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He may have "gotten it." But it meant fuck-all on the field.

Weis had success his first two years because all the pieces were in place for him; a quarterback who had a good arm and was coachable, 2-3 wide receivers who played at a very high level their junior and senior years, a veteran tight end who could catch, a running back who was a solid receiver out of the backfield and an offensive line talented enough to allow the plays to develop.

Once he had to build a team from scratch, he was fucked.

Plus he was a bona fide arrogant asshole with numerous documented episodes of him shitting on alumni and fans alike.

You can tell it's gotten really bad that we're to the point of being nostalgic for Charlie Fucking Weis.

This is just a dumb post
by DwightSchrute  (2018-01-23 22:35:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sorry but Weis basically had 2 recruiting classes (last Davie, first TW) and then the 2 recruiting classes that were the equivalent to the death penalty were juniors and seniors in 2008. Blaming CW for that is simply stupid. He had one year with his recruiting classes - and it wasn't a good year, but it wasn't 4-8 either. He was a significantly better in-game coach than our current head coach. I'd go as far as to say Charlie Weis saved Notre Dame football. Nobody of significance wanted that job seeing TW put the program in a deep ditch. I completely agree that Charlie had his drawbacks, and some were significant, but much of what happened to him is not his fault. And need I remind you who's recruits almost completely dominated the field for BK's 12-0 season? So if you want to rip Charlie's attitude, fine. If you want to rep his last year's on-field product, fair. But to refer to him as you did above is just dumb and completely lacks perspective or appreciation of where TW left the program, which was on the side of the road in a ditch to die. Its just too bad ND couldn't have hired a better follow up to him than we have.

At least we had no cheating scandals under Weis.
by daviehamsufferer97  (2018-01-21 15:46:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just threw up in my mouth.

Any examples of him in regards to the alumni? *
by Fifthhorseman  (2018-01-21 15:35:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Any examples of him in regards to the alumni? *
by Fifthhorseman  (2018-01-21 15:30:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His downfall in recruiting was he left certain positions
by 84david  (2018-01-19 12:19:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

completely bare or hurting for depth.

But he did bust ass when targeting truly
elite 5* players. (Floyd, Tate, Teo, Clausen
Crist, to name a few.)

How can you say that after the 2005 extension? *
by shea  (2018-01-19 12:09:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The 2005 extension proves Weis knew ND
by dulacshakur  (2018-01-19 16:58:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He (or, probably more accurately, his agent) knew our feckless leadership would be so punch drunk by our near victory over USC that they'd give him whatever he wanted -- a full seven games into a five-year contract.

I'm sure Swarbrick took up where White left off when negotiating Kelly's most recent extension.

Ahem. Doctor White. *
by Saxattack29  (2018-01-19 17:05:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He demands that Notre Dame understand HIM. *
by 1NDGal  (2018-01-19 10:49:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think he believes it has to change to his vision and
by tenndomer  (2018-01-19 11:06:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he's convinced his boss of the same.

Correct: Tunnel smoke, Jumbotron, turf, club gug *
by irishhawk49  (2018-01-19 13:09:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think you've hit on something.
by Saxattack29  (2018-01-19 10:40:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Starting, on, 100 years ago, we have had the following coaches who indisputably wanted to be here and weren't a threat to leave (Rockne's occasional game of chicken with the collars is of course noted for the record)

Harper
Rockne
Anderson
Layden
Leahy
Devore
Kuharich
Parseghian
Devine
Faust
Holtz
Weis

The exceptions to this rule are
Davie
Willingham
Kelly (see Eagles, dalliance with)

Weis would have gone to the NFL for more money.
by rick  (2018-01-19 11:48:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's why we had to give him the monster extention.
And Rockne did more than play chicken. He signed a contract with Columbia.

I disagree
by Paddy O'Furniture  (2018-01-20 13:31:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not only did I know this personally, he echoed it in a recent interview when Charlie, Jr was in the news.

It was a very good interview on Sirius College radio.
He was asked about things he would change. At Kansas, nothing... he told them it would take 6 years and he was fired in year 3 at 2-2.

At ND: "That's the biggest regret in my life. I didn't want to go anywhere else. It is my Alma Mater. I love the place. I still have a home there and a charity there and they will stay there and I will live there. My biggest regret is I put guys together on the staff that really didn't know each other well and I didn't manage that well. It's all on me. I learned a lot from that and regret what happened there but at the end of the day, that's on me."

while he was saying that
by jt  (2018-01-20 20:01:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wonder if he was holding the Coors light that he boasts about drinking every year that he gets paid by ND despite no longer coaching there?

He kind of has a point about Kansas
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-01-20 14:32:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Weis was 6-22 there. Since he left, KU has gone 4-40.

At least he realizes how he screwed up at ND. It's impossible to tell if he's to blame for Kansas, since that program has been screwed up since Mangino was fired.

We certainly didn't "have" to do that *
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-01-19 18:37:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It would probably depend on the situation and the figure.
by tdiddy07  (2018-01-19 12:54:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think he would've jumped for any raise to any team. But for the right team and the right number, who knows. Although I think that number would've had to have been really big in those first couple years. He was really happy and he had a great family setup for his daughter's foundation. It wouldn't have been an easy sell. But he certainly maximized his position. And, while he made a comfortable salary, it wasn't deemed to be outrageous in his first two years. The number of guaranteed years, however, was outrageous. While I don't doubt that an extension would've had a positive recruiting outcome, that large of an extension was not necessary to quell the rumors.

The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board *
by NDBob  (2018-01-19 09:33:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why aren't you counting 6 stars?
by serious  (2018-01-18 20:34:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is, players who return for their final year and give people hope that their return will solve Kelly's coaching shortcomings?

How about stripes?
by Goldhelmethead  (2018-01-19 06:56:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A guy with 3 stars and 2 stripes should count as a five.

Surely you can't be serious *
by dulac89  (2018-01-19 01:30:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

F@#$ everything, we're doing seven stars *
by El Kabong  (2018-01-19 00:16:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So good (link)
by ACEOKC  (2018-01-19 23:46:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

These speakers go to eleven. SEE goes to 11+. *
by arch_moore  (2018-01-19 15:06:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

7/8 *
by 84david  (2018-01-19 13:17:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One for every team captain in 2018. *
by jakam31  (2018-01-19 08:59:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

7 Stars?!!! Get into my office you are fired! *
by Frank Drebin  (2018-01-19 08:52:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This recruit here is projected to go plaid.
by MistakenD  (2018-01-19 08:29:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Goes by the name Lone Starr.

7++ *
by ACross  (2018-01-19 00:35:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kelly just isn’t as hungry as Weis *
by dulacshakur  (2018-01-18 20:04:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are only two people on the planet hungrier than CW *
by irishrock  (2018-01-18 22:06:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oh, you saw the article too? (link)
by GoldenBlues  (2018-01-18 22:15:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As God is my witness....
by Father Nieuwland  (2018-01-19 21:07:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Before reading the caption, I thought the “anti-chafing powder” photo from the article was illustrating how they were intimate before they could have intercourse

NSFviewingever. *
by squid  (2018-01-19 05:29:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s gonna leave a mark *
by irishrock  (2018-01-18 22:29:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It just feels like the entire program is on life support.
by GoldenBlues  (2018-01-18 18:46:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There’s nothing to look forward to, no hope to cling to. All that’s left is just a continued decline of the last of a former powerhouse’s increasingly distant historical status.

We don't just not land them....
by supernd  (2018-01-18 17:53:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We don't seem to come very close on the ones we do recruit.

RKG's
by 01momanor  (2018-01-18 17:50:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pay no attention to the cheating, stealing, and cloud of smoke in the car.

For all of his shortcomings, high end recruiting was a
by Athlete37  (2018-01-18 17:14:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a strength for Weis. Still don't know how he landed the top recruiting class following the 3-9 season

Sure, he landed some top recruits...
by BigNDfan  (2018-01-19 08:28:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but then he would whiff on entire position groups.

Sort of like
by HTownND  (2018-01-22 10:00:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Going into the fall with 3 scholarship RBs, one of whom will be a true feshman.

Kelly whiffs on entire position groups too
by Hanratty5ND  (2018-01-19 09:48:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

CB’s last year.(zero point zero)
DT’s one year unless you count Tiassum/Mokwah.
Safety most years except this years class.
DE—more often than not.

Kelly always has recruiting holes somewhere.

Kelly has the personality of a Communion wafer *
by ndzippy  (2018-01-18 22:52:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Before consecration *
by Fastenatingguy  (2018-01-21 19:06:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because he had just had two BCS seasons in a row...
by NavyJoe  (2018-01-18 17:56:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's the only time it's happened since Holtz was the coach.

Definitely worth noting. One of the worst ways Kelly
by bleedsgreen04  (2018-01-18 18:00:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

has shot himself in the junk has been his complete inability to string together good seasons. How 2013 blew as bad as it did (let alone 2016) is beyond me, I think that was a critical point for him to keep momentum rolling with the program to drive up his recruiting and sustain it.

He was much better at landing the superstar recruit *
by irishaddict  (2018-01-18 17:20:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Especially in 2007
by captaineclectic  (2018-01-18 17:44:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was able to sell the bad year as an outlier and a huge opportunity.

Yes, but how about 4+ recruits...how many of
by KnightlyRevue  (2018-01-18 17:13:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

dem lads do we's get? Don't be hatin on Kelly just to hate cuz he be slammin in recruiting yo.

Seriously, I am surprised he got 1.