I run a draft board each year with the guys that go to Vegas
by MistakenD (2018-03-09 14:15:26)
Edited on 2018-03-09 14:27:28

In reply to: A football post...draft board insights from The Athletic  posted by ndzippy

Guessing a guy's draft stock is comically inexact a lot of the time.

Some may recall that I do a live Fantasy Football draft in Vegas every August. I would hope some recall that. I went from "2 posters highlighted you" to 7 on the day I described our league.

(7th and 8th place have to stay at the El Cortez this year, by the way.)

I digress. Basically, the game is as follows: each coach is responsible for filling the following roster with people that are projected to get drafted:

QB/RB
QB/RB
WR
WR/TE
OL
OL
DL
DL
LB
LB
CB/S
CB/S

There are 8 teams. Those slash positions are equivalent to a "Flex" in regular fantasy football.

We snake draft. Each drafted pick gets the points based on where he is drafted. Example: the number one overall pick is one point. The 55th overall pick is 55 points.

The coach with the lowest points and a completely filled out roster...wins. Each year, the winner has been decided by early 4th round at the latest. This is a fun game that has produced legends of tumbling draft stock like La'el Collins, Bryce Petty and Laremy Tunsil.

Why do I bring this up? Well, one reason is to brag because I came up with this sweet fantasy football-draft hybrid. Also, every year in the past seven years of doing this, at least one of the eight coaches, has failed to fill out his team completely.

There are numerous draft experts out there and ten times more mock drafts to choose from. The truth, which we all know, is that these draft experts may have knowledge on some picks from most teams, but when deals are made and the draft picks start flying, it is the Wild West. Any player projected to a specific round past the 2nd round is just a guy's opinion. And, those opinions tend to slant toward bigger name colleges.

It is like being good at chess with no shot clock but being mediocre to below average with a shot clock.