ND vs Pitt 2018 - IRISH62-67
by IRISH62-67 (2018-03-13 17:27:56)

Planning to attend the Pitt game next season. I noticed that the game will be played the first day of Fall Break (Oct 13). Does that mean fewer students, fewer or no Saturday morning South Quad activities, no band, etc. or do very few students leave? I have attended many games in the past but am bringing some first timers. I went to a game years ago over the Thanksgiving weekend and there was no band and very little activity on campus. Any input would be appreciated.

Most students will still be there *
by BillShakespeare  (2018-03-15 00:09:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Band reunion is that game day
by ND8486  (2018-03-13 17:45:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Band performs at ALL home games regardless of break schedule.

What do my fellow band alumni think
by shea  (2018-03-14 09:32:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of being moved off the Stanford game? It seems like I'm the only one upset about this to not attend.

Not surprising. Stanford was convenient as
by Irish Tool  (2018-03-14 16:59:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a lightly attended repeating opponent whose band didn't travel. Now it's a hot ticket, and with the band in the seats they are at least not slapping a gouged ticket price on with the cost of alumni band participation.

I'd be interested in the history
by shea  (2018-03-15 09:47:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1988 Miami was a band reunion. Was the point more recently always to treat it like other schools treat "homecoming?" (Otherwise unattractive matchup...)

I assumed so, but I don't know the history.
by Irish Tool  (2018-03-15 11:56:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Parent games" when I was a student were definitely treated the way you describe homecomings. They were always the two biggest snoozer home games.

Miami 88 is a little surprising. They were a Johnny-come-lately that decade, but certainly by around '86 the planners should have known that would be a big game. The 88 schedule was mostly a gauntlet though.

They needed a game with no opponent band
by El Kabong  (2018-03-15 15:43:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All the other home games that year had the visiting band in the stands.

Miami had a small band that didn't travel.

Doesn't matter much to me
by ND8486  (2018-03-14 16:15:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Weather will probably be better.

I don't get too worked up about who the director is. I have met band alums that hated O'B, Snavely and Hope.

I'm participating to have a chance to see old friends and possibly be on the field with my sons.

That's not my primary grievance.
by BottleofRed  (2018-03-14 16:01:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But it's on the list. I think with the band sitting in the stands as opposed to the field there will be little time to play while seated. The logistics of getting on/off the field gets more complicated and time consuming. Throw in competing with the regular band, Pitt's band and the Jacktron and there isn't much playing time left.

I hate Ken Dye. I'm not inclined to attend at all while Swarbrick and Kelly are still there. And I'm not interested in helping ND sell tickets to what they view as a less attractive game than Stanford. So, no, we won't be going.

Is Pitt's band really coming?
by shea  (2018-03-15 09:48:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know it's close for them and they usually attend, but I can't imagine three bands...

Not a band alum, but I think it'll be about 20 degrees...
by Kbyrnes  (2018-03-14 13:52:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...warmer. The 2014 Stanford game was downright bone-chilling.

Most miserable game I've ever been in person
by golfjunkie17  (2018-03-14 22:22:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It wasn't that it was bone chilling, it was that it was raining and right on the brink of freezing, but not quite close enough to turn the rain to snow. I remember hoping the temperature would drop just a couple degrees so the piercing, freezing rain that was soaking every inch of me would turn to snow.

Ken Dye keeps me away more than the game.
by NDBass  (2018-03-14 09:52:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That and Swarbrick/Kelly.

That’s my thought. Not interested in marching and dealing
by CAFB4ND  (2018-03-14 15:08:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with Dye and company. And I’m really uninterested in plunking down a single dollar to have my senses assaulted Jacktron and watch Kelly. If Kelly’s in the stadium, I won’t be.

Great, see you both at Trumpet Tailgate III. *
by Irish Tool  (2018-03-14 16:56:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think I will be there for that.
by Domer84  (2018-03-13 18:45:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If my knees can hold out. I assume you will be playing too?

I'll be there, and playing
by EE Trumpet  (2018-03-14 08:35:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Already signed up. Even started playing some scales.

Looks like plenty of tailgate action already planned. Can't wait!

Will be there
by ND8486  (2018-03-13 20:22:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Considering playing.

Not playing but gonna have a tailgater *
by El Kabong  (2018-03-13 20:28:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ditto. *
by Irish Tool  (2018-03-13 23:50:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

OT- Why do you call it a tailgater vs tailgate? Just curious *
by widespread irish  (2018-03-13 21:20:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Play tailgate. *
by Irish Tool  (2018-03-13 23:49:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You tailgate. You have a tailgater. *
by 88_92wsnd  (2018-03-13 21:53:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post