Scott Frost is not from the Brian Kelly coaching tree.
by ej (2018-03-17 10:36:01)
Edited on 2018-03-17 10:58:15

Kelly should skip yoga and have a few beers with Mike Brey.

I kind of agree with Scott Frost on this..
by TWO  (2018-03-19 12:53:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not just the crap Kelly pulls, but I see it all over college sports, coaches yelling and screaming at players for their mistakes, like it really helps..it's letting out their frustration with the player, how that helps I've never understood.

It's worse when I see it in Youth Leagues, I've seen it many times. Coaches losing their shit on some poor kid who made a mistake..maybe even a big mistake that cost the team.

No doubt some respond to that, and I guess in the culture of athletics maybe even expect that.

I never saw Anson Dorrance coach, I just remember reading an SI article on his remarkable run at UNC womens soccer and it was clear he understood the dynamics of coaching women. I'd be surprised if he used yelling and screaming and cussing, etc as one of his motivational tools.

There's different types of "mistakes"
by KeoughCharles05  (2018-03-19 18:04:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's the mistake where a kid makes a physical error. There's absolutely no use yelling at a situation like that. Physical errors happen, and they either happen due to insufficient focus/effort during practice, or due to more or less dumb luck. Neither situation is benefitted by yelling during the game.

There's mental mistakes like jumping offsides or making the wrong play call. For the most part yelling is going to be ineffective here, but if a player has his head up his ass, yelling every now and again might be an effective tactic to renew focus. It should be one tool in the belt, but not the exclusive one by any means.

Then there are "mistakes" that are lack of effort, or actively doing something stupid, like taking a cheap shot. Yelling is almost entirely warranted in those situations.

I go back to Devenzio often...
by mr.natural  (2018-03-20 12:24:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(thanks, as always, to Khaddafi for the recommendation so many years ago)

He said something to the effect of, teach in a quiet room, correct in practice, and encourage during a game. In my experience, if you confuse one for the other, all you do is set your kids back. A good coach will definitely get loud, to call out offensive sets or issue reminders, but loud reproach or turning purple is counterproductive.

In my experience, most coaches understand this once it is presented to them properly. If they don't, they need to go find an adult league to play in and stop using kids to play out their inner self-esteem battles.

Positive Coaching Alliance has a ton of great material, supported by research, that helps people understand these concepts. Steve Kerr is a good example.

Brian Kelly is a nightmare. He was not ready to be the head football coach at Notre Dame, and he has been deflecting the blame for his lack of development onto others since it first became apparent he does not have what it takes to grow into the job. Of course, the problem is with those who allow him to persist in this. Maybe he'll win a championship, given enough time. Monkeys, typewriters, Shakespeare...

I don't think yelling is the issue
by El Kabong  (2018-03-19 09:22:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My two issues on the subject are:

1) Loss of control. It's one thing to yell, but it's quite another to look like you've completely lost your shit. The former sometimes is necessary, the latter never is

2) Lack of confidence in the teacher. Granted, this is subjective, but if I don't have the confidence the teacher can teach effectively (e.g. NCST game plan), I see little point in publicly dressing down the student.

Like this?
by SEE  (2018-03-19 12:49:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought those were actually fine
by miamioh_irishfan  (2018-03-19 14:05:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at least one of those examples was of him unloading on a referee, and none included calling the player a “fucking moron”

Yes, he should do better in those situations
by El Kabong  (2018-03-19 12:56:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even though, given (2), I'm willing to bet the player is at fault in those situations, it would be preferable for him to get his point across without looking like a nut.

For whom would it be preferable?
by SEE  (2018-03-19 15:31:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure I get the logic.

I would prefer my coach not look like a raving lunatic
by El Kabong  (2018-03-20 13:44:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because never in my life have I seen one useful bit of knowledge imparted by someone who is ranting and raving.

If Saban (or whoever) is looking for a moment to be a teaching opportunity, while raising his voice is well within the acceptable list of things to happen, going over the edge bat-shit crazy is not. Because then you're not instructing, you're foaming.

Bat-shit crazy serves a purpose in the neuroscience world
by SEE  (2018-03-21 17:40:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1. Calmly explaining something has a very low probability of changing behavior, it requires 7-21 repetitions to seat an idea in your subconscious.

2. Scaring the fuck out of somebody may take just one. Emotion + message tells the brain “this is important”

3. The mind rembers highs and lows and negativity over positivity.

4. Scaring the fuck out of somebody in front of others makes them think.

It’s not “preferable” to do this all of the time. Better to get the teaching done in practice for sure. But the % of time spent in bar shit mode by Kelly or Saban is sooo tiny compared to their overall time spent with players - I really don’t get the angst.

if only we would of won more games *
by jt  (2018-03-23 00:51:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if we would of won more games this vile discussion
by jt  (2018-03-20 11:33:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

would never happen.

there's yelling to make a point
by irishrock  (2018-03-19 12:48:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't see Kelly do that.

When I see Kelly yell, I see a guy venting at a player(s) and it's ridiculous. Mustipher example is the worst I've seen. Worse than Jones.

Disagree
by JBrock18  (2018-03-19 17:17:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kelly is a dope. I don’t see him yelling any more or any less than the average coach. I also don’t see him losing control any more or less than other guys. It’s very low on the lengthy list of complaints I have. All of us often have no idea on the background of the situation that leads to coaching blow ups. It’s possible the screw up is something that has been stressed time and again and even during that game. I’ll also point out that somehow Kelly’s players actually seem to like him.

Last Chance U illustrated the entire spectrum
by plaid_pants  (2018-03-19 00:45:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The head coach, Buddy Stephens, yelled too much and ineffectively.

The offensive coordinator, Marcus Wood, didn't yell enough. The defensive coordinator, Ed Holly, yelled a little bit, but not effectively.

The defensive line coach, Davern Williams, is the coach I would have wanted to play for. He did everything just right. He normally was very calm. Most of his comments were teaching instruction. He got excited when his players did well. But when his star player continued to be a putz, he lit into him which I felt was appropriate. And he would make his players do a corporal punishment called rolling...they had to roll on the ground the length of the field.

Oh God help us. More pussification of life. That'll help. *
by MD1997  (2018-03-17 21:08:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Football could benefit from a change of approach
by Bruno95  (2018-03-18 13:27:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The good coaches who scream and swear and apply meathead distractions to strength & conditioning are also wrong. While they get better players and do many things well, maybe they’d be even better without that stuff. The mediocre coaches, like Kelly, who do the same are just embarrassing themselves.

Football needs to grow up and shed some of this junk. You can’t motherfuck a guy to improve. Players won’t truly follow, truly apply themselves 100%, for a guy unless they trust him, believe in him, and know he cares about them. They’ll go far for anyone, because it’s in their interests. But I don’t believe coaches are helping themselves when they create an adversarial relationship with the people they’re supposed to lead.

I’m glad some guys who have played at high levels and worked for top coaches are recognizing this. Good for Frost.

A screamy coach has won a lot of recent titles
by SEE  (2018-03-18 22:07:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As with any tactic that’s over-used that can’t be a tool you use all the time, but a good ass chewing can seer a lesson into your brain. Emotion can deepen memory and recall

The brain records highs and lows more easily.

It has its place, as a few screamy coaches have demonstrated.

That’s why the most successful professors scream at students
by Father Nieuwland  (2018-03-18 22:25:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And bosses at their employees.

Can it produce results? Obviously.

Is it nexessary to produce results? I don't think so, and I cannot think of any non-athletic settings where a “good ass chewing” is viewed as an acceptable and useful tool for seering a lesson into an adult brain and deepening memory and recall.

EDIT - I assume the military probably still utilizes screaming, but I am open to correction if that is no longer standard operating procedure in the service.

I can't speak for now, since I've been out since 1990
by tf86  (2018-03-19 09:05:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But plenty of screaming in the military during my day (1986-1990), which explains in significant part why I got out as quickly as I did.

Saban and Sweeney don’t think football is analogous
by SEE  (2018-03-18 22:45:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To classroom learning nor to the average work environment.

Neither does anyone else.

A good ass chewing can fast-forward a lesson.

Constant screaming is idiotic.

6 of the last 9 NC have been won with coaches who occasionally go off on their players.

Maybe 7.

The ass-chewing should be reserved for when the athlete
by Papa November  (2018-03-19 11:22:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

has repeatedly failed to learn the lesson on previous occasions, or refuses to understand the need to learn the lesson.

I dub this the Ass-chewing protocal
by SEE  (2018-03-19 12:16:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or ACP

Yes, I acknowledged that.
by Bruno95  (2018-03-19 06:59:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don’t know what any of these coaches do behind the scenes. A well-placed chewing can be effective, if for no other reason than the environment is loud and there are so many people to deal with at once. But screaming at specific players and losing your cool is detrimental. I don’t think those outbursts are assets of Saban’s or Meyer’s.

Others can more intelligently speak to the use of yelling and stress in the military context, and how those tactics are balanced by the “leaders eat last” ethos.

not to mention that players tend to tune out
by jt  (2018-03-19 11:50:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the coaches that just constantly yell.

As to Saban/Meyer and their ripoff of stuff that Holtz used to do, I am sure that a lot of the the motivation in those programs comes from the idea that if you can't do it they'll just go get another Under Armour All American that can.

I think Belicheck does *
by jt  (2018-03-19 00:52:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which category fits BK better in your opinion?
by miamioh_irishfan  (2018-03-18 22:58:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Occasional ass-chewer, or constant ass-chewer?

What about BK 2.0?

How many times have you seen purple face in 8 years?
by SEE  (2018-03-19 09:12:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Once a game? A few times a season?

this is all just a ripoff of something Holtz used to do *
by jt  (2018-03-19 00:53:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agreed. Defective vocabulary doesn't win games * *
by jrdjr84  (2018-03-18 17:32:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah, you have to yell and scream at people in order for
by jt  (2018-03-18 10:51:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

things to work.

I love how all these wusses think football is a game.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2018-03-18 14:04:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Like it should be fun or something.

Even better when your face turns purple
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-03-18 13:59:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This was from USF 2011, one of the greatest coaching jobs Jack Swarbrick ever has seen. ND rallied from a 16-0 deficit to lose by only 2 to the mighty Bulls.

Tony Alford's expression is priceless. He must be thinking
by irishintheville  (2018-03-19 11:29:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

along the lines of "I left that jackass Petrino and now I'm working for this asshat."

Ara yelled too, JT *
by meatwhistle  (2018-03-18 13:01:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, yes he did. I saw it up close and personal once.
by Barney68  (2018-03-18 16:39:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Impressive.

“If you had one tenth the heart of Ruttiger you’d have made
by miamioh_irishfan  (2018-03-18 23:00:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All American.”

I loved that scene too.

Leahy used to get salty with the lads! *
by jt  (2018-03-18 15:42:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's not WWII anymore, jt. *
by Papa November  (2018-03-18 21:01:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

guys used to puke under Holtz too, PapaNovember *
by jt  (2018-03-19 00:59:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

MD1997's a real man's man
by ACross  (2018-03-18 12:02:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Chewin Skoal, wearing Drakkar Noir, votin for Trump.

He seems more like he'd prefer Brut *
by TCIrish03  (2018-03-18 17:34:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In order to be effective kelly believes he needs to be
by cj  (2018-03-18 12:48:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

true to himself...in other words an out of control lunatic. That is a decision he makes and the PTB obviously supports. It is the choice he makes to be a "successful" HC. His puny and bullying behavior has yielded squat. What's scary is that he has to think/believes that those 5 loss seasons would be perhaps 6,7,8... loss seasons (less successful) without it...or he wouldn't do it...

This is one horrible coach and the fact that he and swarbrick continue to drag ND's reputation through the mud is an abomination.

I maintain the position that our ptb are exploiting ND for every nickel and luxury they can get their hands on as they knowingly and without care damage ND's reputation.

The ongoing begging as 100s of millions of dollars are spent aimlessly/squandered is a testament to a group of incompetent leaders who are making believe they know how to run a multibillion dollar entity.

ND's reputation will continue to suffer and the bar will continue to lower as excuse after excuse is laid out.

I have never seen a coach in any sport pull the crap kelly has....throwing kids under the bus as a smoke screen for his incompetence is his trade.

jenkins, the BOF, and the BOT are the three blind mice...

If they don't care, why should anyone else?

If your son was the top high school quarterback recruit,
by ej  (2018-03-18 08:36:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

do you want him playing for Brian Kelly?

It seems to have helped him go 13-0 last year.
by Papa November  (2018-03-17 23:47:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I played football for 14 years: 2 pop warner, 4 high school, 4 Notre Dame, 4 professional (Arena). Not once did a coach yelling at me ever help me perform better. Not once did a coach yelling at me provide me with information about my fuck-up that I didn't already possess the moment I fucked up. But I remember how much better I played that one time Greg Mattison pulled me aside and told me that he believed in me and that it didn't matter to him that I was a walk-on.

Yes, "That one time." And I think he was full of shit and made it up on the spot. It didn't matter. I still played better. And although I'm biased, I don't think I'm a pussy.

players need to be yelled at until they puke
by jt  (2018-03-18 10:52:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

otherwise they aren't maximizing their experience.

Muscle AND psyche confusion. Big guns, big brains. *
by Papa November  (2018-03-18 11:58:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the focus needs to be on development of the delts and traps
by jt  (2018-03-18 12:28:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

need to look HUGE in those shoulder pads. Intimidation is the name of the game!

You should fill out your profile. *
by No Right Turn on Red  (2018-03-17 22:03:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Purple faced warrior" *
by goirish89  (2018-03-17 22:44:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Stump *
by pobrien  (2018-03-17 15:21:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's actually from the Chip Kelly coaching tree *
by Domerduck  (2018-03-17 13:59:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He needs to have a chat with Dabo and Nick
by SEE  (2018-03-17 13:35:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They’ve had a wee bit more success.

And I suspect Frost will do well. Wish ND had a Frost in
by SEE  (2018-03-17 13:38:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The pipeline.

So do I.
by BIG MAC  (2018-03-17 14:34:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He did a remarkable job at Central Florida, and has hit the ground running at Nebraska.

Coaching atmosphere
by Willylumplump  (2018-03-17 12:14:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Couldn't agree more with Scot Frost, or the Mike Brey video along side, about coaches communicating a tense attitude to their players. As a player I never appreciated being reamed out or seeing teammates reamed at practice or during games. As a coach, the purple face diatribe wasn't my style, even with officials. The basic goal of it is teaching your players and having carryover into life off the field. And, btw, hoping Coach Brey and the Irish beat PSU !

by Moff  (2018-03-17 11:56:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If Joe Montana was your QB
by The Oak  (2018-03-19 09:12:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

there would be no cause to scream.

Unless it was at the water boy to get Joe a drink.

"As a player, Frost was coached by Stanford’s Bill Walsh,
by cj  (2018-03-17 14:15:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nebraska’s Tom Osborne, the New York Jets’ Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick, and the Buccaneers' Mike Tomlin and Jon Gruden."
"Frost joined Oregon's coaching staff as its wide receivers coach on January 26, 2009. Working under head coach Chip Kelly and offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich..."

Ha, did you notice that there is no DMV motivational speaking listed. We got him there!!!!

How I would love to create a situation in which Brey and
by 1NDGal  (2018-03-17 11:50:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Muffet could do two minutes each on what they think of BK as a coach.

The fencing coaches, too. Sure, we get Alabama FB-level fencing recruits, but they deliver year after year after year.

While the jury is still out on Frost,
by John88  (2018-03-17 11:25:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I certainly hope he does well since G21 will be in her senior year at UNL in the fall.

Orlando ain't Lincoln.