Which ND team is most likely to win a NC this year?
by Dude87 (2018-03-19 12:47:36)

1. Fencing
2. WBB
3. Men's Lacrosse
4. Hockey

Which team is most likely to get a new coach due to a firing:

1. Football
2. Baseball
3. Softball
4. Women's Lacrosse

My thoughts. NC: Fencing, Hockey, Lacrosse, WBB
Firing: Baseball, W. Lacrosse, Softball, Football.

I doubt it would ever be advertised as a firing but...
by FL_Irish  (2018-03-19 14:57:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The women's tennis team desperately needs a change in leadership. Louderback is a legend by ND standards, but he appears to be mailing it in at this point. They've slipped from a perennial Sweet 16 team to barely making the tournament. Barring a major turn around, they're going to get annihilated in ACC play this year.

Given that Jack didn't hire him and that it could be sold as retiring with honor, I could see Louderback being eased out before any of the names on your list. Then again, Swarbrick has given no indication he cares about winning, so I'd say it's equally likely a coach of a minor sport who has done as much for Notre Dame as Louderback has would be allowed to remain at the helm as long as he wants.

NC: Fencing Firing: NOT softball as they are doing great
by Domerduck  (2018-03-19 13:11:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

this year, winning 13 of their last 14. Their record is a bit hurt (19-8) since they played a tough preseason schedule against top SEC (Auburn, A&M) and PAC12 teams (ASU,UW) but their team has improved to sweep Louisville 3 games on their field this past weekend. Their primary pitcher is a freshman Holloway who was one of the best recruits in the nation. They hit well, run bases aggressively, and are exceptional at fielding. I think Gumpf's doing a great job this year.

My hope in firing is Kelly, but I could see Baseball and Women's Lacrosse going as well. I also think we have a decent chance to win the other three NCs.

Hyperbole much? Softball is average.
by hibernianangst  (2018-03-19 15:04:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gumpf is in her 17th year as the softball coach and has yet to win a NCAA regional much less get to the World Series. Isn't 17 years enough?

Maybe, but I think they are getting better. Softball has
by Domerduck  (2018-03-19 15:58:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

been dominated by the PAC12 over the years (23 champs, 82 WCWS) until the recent rise of the SEC (3 champs, 40 WCWS) in the past 15 years. Oklahoma (4 champs, 15 WCWS) and Michigan (1 champ, 13 WCWS) have been the other two party crashers standing mostly alone from their conferences. The only ACC school to ever get into the World Series has been Florida State and the Big East had only 3 reps in their existence, with Va Tech getting their only appearance in 2008, the only other current ACC school to have ever got in.

Gumpf has always had her team winning, but has always been in a weak softball conference. I believe this year they may finally get over the hump. Sweeping a strong Louisville team was not luck and I watched every game. Let's give them a chance before putting her on the firing block because she hasn't been able to do what no other ACC team other than FSU has ever done, Last year at the end pf the season i did my post conference compare on Jake's Field and I did write after pointing out FSU made the super regionals: "Of course ND has never done that in 23 times. They need to play better in the tourney (along with Louisville) to raise the ACC's profile in softball."

After watching several games I am hoping this will be the year.

I agree with you. They aren't even ranked or receiving votes
by Otter  (2018-03-19 15:48:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are 12 teams "also receiving votes" so that means they are 38th at best as of last week. Sweeping Louisville might put them up to "also receiving votes" as Louisville was 26th.

Interesting. I don't follow softball, but it makes sense
by garbageplate  (2018-03-19 13:25:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So, in essence, the only failing coaches at ND are the ones Jack hired.

Your second list is flawed
by garbageplate  (2018-03-19 13:09:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Insofar as it assumes that Jack would ever fire a coach that he hired. You'll have to remove football, baseball and lacrosse from the list.