4 of our last 5 games are away from home.
by HolyCrossHog (2018-04-17 13:53:54)

I know I'm not the first one to notice that, but this is just bad scheduling.

--- The one home game is Florida State.
--- At least Northwestern is close by.
--- In a 1 week span, going to the east coast to play at Yankee Stadium, back to South Bend and then out to L.A to play the Trojans.
--- The positive, I guess, is 5 of the first 7 games are at home, including the first 3.

Overall, it's brutal. I'm sure this November will be much better than last November!!!

8000+ roundtrip miles over a 30-day span
by YinzKeenanVisor  (2018-04-18 11:25:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's patently stupid.

Particularly as two of the round-trips (to San Diego and NYC) are completely avoidable and offer no on-field benefit.

Think of all the time, money, and effort wasted on those cross-country trips, not to mention the effect on the players' circadian rhythms. Athletic and academic performance are bound to suffer, compounding everything else already wrong with the program.

Meanwhile, over that same 5 week span:

Alabama makes one trip in the same time zone (to Baton Rouge)
Auburn makes two (grand total: 660 miles)
Georgia makes two (to Jacksonville & Kentucky)
Ohio State makes two, both in the same time zone (grand total: 1300 miles)

Dumb.

If we had a good coach and team it wouldn’t matter
by JBrock18  (2018-04-19 16:01:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The schedule is so far down the list of concerns it’s pointless to bitch. It’s not even close to the root cause of the next 8-5 season.

Follow the money
by Jvan  (2018-04-18 13:39:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It no longer matters whether we win or lose as long as ND and Anthony Travel make a shitload of money.

Agree. Stupid and arrogant.
by MobileIrish  (2018-04-18 11:59:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It might not matter as much with better coaching, but this regime finds ways to do less with more.

By front-loading the schedule with home games
by jbrown_9999  (2018-04-17 18:42:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It makes it easier for ND "be in the playoff conversation" for at least part of the season (i.e. October) by pushing the dreaded "tough" away games to November.

and then clowns like Pete Sampson can tweet things like:
by jt  (2018-04-17 21:03:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"if I had told you in August that we would be 8-1 heading into Miami with a chance to make the national championship bracket, wouldn't you accept that?"

And most of the people that read/pay for his "insight" would agree. To be fair, most would still be upset and distracted by the 2016 election and it's effect on their lifes' work.

Sally knows he has an elite coach who can bring home
by irishintheville  (2018-04-17 17:25:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the bacon. He doesn't need to schedule the likes of William & Mary or schedule down like those SEC schools.

But can he fry it up in a pan?
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-04-17 23:02:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Murders' row: Navy, Northwestern, FSU, Syr and USC.
by NDMike2001  (2018-04-17 16:18:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Two teams projected in the top 25.

it's not 1988 anymore *
by jt  (2018-04-17 19:04:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Navy cut blocks, unfair and we need weeks to recover.
by 84david  (2018-04-17 17:12:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We will be NWs superbowl. FSU needs to win
to make a playoff. You cant beat Syracuse at home.
nobody goes to LA coliseum and wins.

the excuses write themselves!!!1!

We could be as good as the 2012 team and what did they ever
by miamioh_irishfan  (2018-04-17 20:18:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

do besides go to LA on thanksgiving weekend, try to lose, and win anyways?

Kelly is 0-7 against AP-ranked opponents in November since
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-04-17 15:59:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

beating Utah in 2010. This figure includes four losses to Stanford. He's also 5-9 in true road games in November. I believe he's 5-1 in neutral site November games.

In 4 of those losses, ND was ranked higher than the opponent
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-04-18 10:07:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

including both November losses in 2017 at Miami and Stanford. The others were Stanford in 2015 and ASU in 2014.

And Utah dropped out of the AP after the bowl loss.
by tdiddy07  (2018-04-17 16:16:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They hung on at 23 in the coaches.

This smells like a 2014 type season to me
by MNND  (2018-04-17 15:51:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And we know how that ended. I would love to be proven wrong, but my gut says we will implode at the end. And if we can't get past Michigan to get the momentum rolling, it could look like 2016 with losses to Stanford and Va Tech also possible.

2014 we were really good before Pat Ryan f##ed us.
by 01momanor  (2018-04-17 22:25:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Then the wheels fell off. I expect a 2016 style shitshow. Harbaugh has underachieved at Michigan but he’s a much better coach than Kelly. And he knows his job is on the line. I expect a 2003 or 2007 style skull fucking from Michigan. And a 2016 style meltdown from there.

more away games = less time to work on the passing game
by jt  (2018-04-17 15:47:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we're FOOKED! Fooked, I tell you.

We need a mobile indoor practice facility with Jumbotron
by Moff  (2018-04-17 17:09:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Perhaps a surplus aircraft carrier

all classes need to be held in the Gug as well *
by jt  (2018-04-17 17:56:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Athletic trainers for everyone!
by graNDfan  (2018-04-17 19:22:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As long as they don’t run into or talk to Brian....

Many schools refuse to come to South Bend in November,
by 1NDGal  (2018-04-17 15:40:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

don't they? USC chief among them.

I am no fan of barnstorming, to be clear, nor of the novelty games in Yankee Stadium and whatnot.

Such are the woes
by IrishRed  (2018-04-17 16:33:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of a mid-major program (or being lead like one).
It's like handing the keys of a sports car over to someone that has never driven one and is too stubborn to learn or be taught how.

C'mon, we've got more leverage than that
by ndzippy  (2018-04-17 16:06:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Promise some home & home deals if you have to, but getting teams to South Bend in November shouldn't be a show-stopper. Hell, we had Syracuse slated to come to town before we decided to lean into yet another shit-storming event in NYC.

We've played the following teams at home in November during the past 10 years:

- Syracuse
- Navy
- UConn
- Utah
- Army
- Maryland
- Boston College
- Pitt
- Wake Forest
- BYU
- Northwestern
- Louisville
- Virginia Tech

That list isn't loaded with blue-chip programs, but it's decent enough to cobble together a good November schedule every year.

Maryland wasn't in South Bend. *
by Slotts  (2018-04-18 08:58:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My bad. My point stands, however. *
by ndzippy  (2018-04-18 10:47:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Since Kelly is 1-5 in his last six November games away from
by Carlos Huerta  (2018-04-17 15:37:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND Stadium I'm sure they just wanted to give him some opportunities to get the record turned around quickly. You know how Brian embraces a challenge.

As a side note it's not against the rules to kick the crap out of teams like Navy, Northwestern, and Syracuse and let our starters rest the whole fourth quarters.

1929 Nat'l Championship..
by TWO  (2018-04-17 15:24:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No home games were played that year due to construction of the Notre Dame Stadium

But then that was Rockne and he didn't know it wasn't 1988 yet.

We chose to go to NYC
by HTownND  (2018-04-17 15:23:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And we are always on the road for the last game of the year after Thanksgiving, by choice

2 of those 4 games were because of specific choices made by our own athletic department.

I was hoping the text of your message would be...
by FL_Irish  (2018-04-17 15:56:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"...not because it is easy, but because it is hard."

Easily manageable and avoidable.
by KnightlyRevue  (2018-04-17 14:30:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shitcan the Yankee stadium Anthony Travel boondoggle and replace it with a home game. The whole alternate site "home" game in a pro stadium is merely a merchandising cash grab and reeks of tawdry special benefits for a bloated athletic department. Sink it deep in the ocean and you won't have the problem.

I believe Syracuse was a home game, right? *
by frickerdog  (2018-04-17 15:44:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I expect Syracuse to take revenge for 2016. *
by 01momanor  (2018-04-17 22:28:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yup...the original press
by KnightlyRevue  (2018-04-17 16:44:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

release before they moved to Yankee Stadium reads:

"Back in 2014, when the Notre Dame Fighting Irish and ACC first set dates for their annual football scheduling arrangement, the Syracuse Orange were set to travel to South Bend in September of 2018.

Looks like that’s no longer the case, per Notre Dame’s schedule release today.

The Orange now visit Notre Dame on November 17, which is the second-to-last weekend of the season. Syracuse traditionally plays Boston College on the final weekend since joining the ACC, though they did not in 2016. If the typical weekend held, that would mean SU would play its final two games on the road in 2018 (at Notre Dame, then at BC)."

Any whining about too many road November games should be directed to Savvy Jack and his penchant for the Anthony Travel kick back.

Here come the excuses for Purple Face
by MNG  (2018-04-17 14:15:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guess we can't make a definitive judgment about him until the end of the 19 season. Poor guy, the schedules are killing him!

I think definitive judgment is slated for 2020 *
by ThreeD  (2018-04-17 17:14:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post